No announcement yet.

Re: Mikey hasn't fought anyone great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    Word on the street is that he ducked Gamboa way back when, before Gamboa was inactive and stopped caring about his career. I don't know if that's true, nor do I know if Gamboa can be considered "great".
    That is true, that is why you constantly see me type does he like boxing anymore.

He apparent does now. He did an interview back then that he was in it because of family pressure and doesn't even watch the sport or follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I don't understand what those two things got to do with each other.

If Mikey hasn't fought anyone great that doesn't mean he did or didn't pass on some great fighter necessarily.

I think the thread title criticism comes from Mikey continually having big names in his mouth (Loma, Spence, Cotto, Linares, etc) & he fights Sergey Lipinets or phoning it in since the Maidana fight Adrien Broner.

When you keep mentioning big names that you never sign to fight (your fault, there fault, who knows who's fault don't matter) some people are gonna steer towards this type of opinion.
      The original thread was Mikey hasn't fought anyone great and went on to name his past opponents. I'm asking who are these so called great opponents he had ab opportunity to fight?

The big names he's mentioned were Cotto (Golden Boy messed that up) Thurman who he hasn't had an opportunity to fight since he's come back because of Thurman's inactivity. Lomachenko, when he mentioned that name Top Rank said he should've stayed with Top Rank if he wants to fight their fighters so we already know where that's headed

Comment

That's another thing people forget. When he mentioned Lomachenko Top Rank said if Mikey wants to fight their fighters he should've stayed with them

Comment

How about the long reigning #1. Superfeather weight Takashi Uchiyama when Mikey was around 130 and he was top three? you know Uchiyama that people had in their top ten P4P? you know Mikey said they proposed a fight in Macau but funny thing his next sentence in the interview he said he was possibly moving up! sound familiar? BWAHAHAHA!
          Last edited by 1hourRun; 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Which current fighter has faced someone great?

Comment

[QUOTE=Motorcity Cobra;18566496]The original thread was Mikey hasn't fought anyone great and went on to name his past opponents. I'm asking who are these so called great opponents he had ab opportunity to fight?

The big names he's mentioned were Cotto (Golden Boy messed that up) Thurman who he hasn't had an opportunity to fight since he's come back because of Thurman's inactivity. Lomachenko, when he mentioned that name Top Rank said he should've stayed with Top Rank if he wants to fight their fighters so we already know where that's headed[/QUOTE]

Actually Arum stated to boxing scene that he would make the fight. He says if Mikey is serious to have his people give him a call.

Comment

Mikey may not have fought anyone "great" but that doesn't mean he hasn't fought a solid resume- Salido, Lipinets, Zlaticanin, Burgos, Martinez, Rojas, Concepcion- all while moving up and not losing (except the Salido BS).

It sucks that posters pick and choose which guys they criticize for "titles gifted by promoters" when they need to either criticize all of these or none of them because its all the same thing. Mikey is no different than Manny or Broner-they all got promoter gift titles.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Mannnn, I think Mikey is a special fighter. I think he ill beat Loma. I'm not hating on Loma, I think it will be a classic fight. I just think Mikey is stronger & his stamina is pretty good. He is a well balanced fighter. Don't get me wrong Loma will have his moments. This is one super fight that needs to happen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    That's another thing people forget. When he mentioned Lomachenko Top Rank said if Mikey wants to fight their fighters he should've stayed with them
                    I'd be interested to see those quotes since Top Rank have made Lomachenko-Rigondeaux when a lot of people said they never would and now they are making a Linares fight that came about because Mikey in typical Mikey fashion called out Linares and turned him down. They also let Lomachenko fight Russell that was consisdered dangerous. Mikey has a built in excuse for Lomachenko and Crawford but Top Rank would make those fights. Cotto, I get it that came with a contract but Linares did. Mikey is the one pulling out of all these fights.

As also pointed out there was talk of a Uchiyama fight when he was one of the longest reigning champions and in pound for pound lists. Don't forget the calling out of Gamboa only for Gamboa to call his bluff and then Mikey is out of the game. He has 4 titles and one title defense. He's obviously an excellent fighter but he's also a big time cherry picker. He's a smart dude he probably knows his weaknesses better than anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      The original thread was Mikey hasn't fought anyone great and went on to name his past opponents. I'm asking who are these so called great opponents he had ab opportunity to fight?
                      I didn't see the other thread. I'm just saying I don't see how those things even need to be related. You can criticize anyone without great fighters on their resume by saying as such & who they've turned down or not doesn't necessarily really matter.

The big names he's mentioned were Cotto (Golden Boy messed that up) Thurman who he hasn't had an opportunity to fight since he's come back because of Thurman's inactivity. Lomachenko, when he mentioned that name Top Rank said he should've stayed with Top Rank if he wants to fight their fighters so we already know where that's headed
                      How did GBP mess up Cotto vs Garcia? I heard Robert or Big G said it was a bad idea or something like that so Mikey decided against it.

And I thought Linares woulda been doable already to if Mikey had been willing to sign a couple fight option? Not saying he should of or shouldn't of...just saying.

Idk that Thurman or Spence have been legit on the table.

The Gamboa fight could've been made, but thats actually the one I'm most on Mikey's side about cuz he felt he was getting effed over so put his beliefs above money in this case & fair play to that. But it is a big fight he could've had all the same.

And there could be a fight or two I'm not recalling that had some % chance of happening at one point, but didn't for one reason or another.

But again the main issue I see is Mikey is using Arum's name drop theory to boost his Q rating & boxing fans don't like hearing boxers name dropping guys they keep not fighting for whatever reason (most of the time I'd argue us fans have no clue what really stopped a fight from happening cuz that sh^t is all happening behind the scenes) & thats the number 1 reason I see Mikey getting so much negative heat lately.

Don't cry for him doe cuz being hated is better than being loved & surely Mikey's master plan is to take a big fight for lotsa money sooner or later & the reality is if he can get hated by enough people he's likely to get more money then if he's loved.

Comment

Working...
                      X