No announcement yet.

Schaefer refuses to make Malignaggi v Maidana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    This isn't WWE. It's a professional sport. The object is to win championships. Neither Matthysse or Maidana want this fight and Schaefer insists on making it. Both of them want to fight for a title and in Matthysse's case, he's put himself in position to do just that.
    Even in wrestling, the goal is to become a champion lol. If Maidana/Matthysse have a shot at a belt to raise their profile, they're gonna take it. Maidana/Matthysse is good for us, but they have better options.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      This isn't WWE. It's a professional sport. The object is to win championships. Neither Matthysse or Maidana want this fight and Schaefer insists on making it. Both of them want to fight for a title and in Matthysse's case, he's put himself in position to do just that.
      In the WWE they all want titles so dont get that reference. And i understand the title thing but in boxing the "champion" pool has been diluted to the point everyone has a title and there are multiple champions in the same class with the same belt. Some didnt even win it. Let GBP offer them the right money and well see how important titles are.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        I don't understand how Maidana/Malignaggi has no interest, but Malignaggi vs. Mosley/Berto does. I'm sick to death of Berto/Mosley getting title shots and Mosley is shot to pieces. Berto and Mosley would probably ask for more money than Maidana anyway.

This is a prime example of how promoters maneuver their fighters like pawns on a chess board. Maidana and Matthysse are being coerced to fight one another to protect Malignaggi and Garcia. Chaves will just go unnoticed even-though he's the mandatory.
        Agreed.

I feel Schaefer wants the title to go to the more marketable Berto or Mosley if Paulie loses, not Maidana.

Matthysse and Maidana are fighting at two different weights with no titles and don't appear to want to fight each other.

Malignaggi and Maidana want to fight each other for the title - and Schaefer won't let it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
          In the WWE they all want titles so dont get that reference. And i understand the title thing but in boxing the "champion" pool has been diluted to the point everyone has a title and there are multiple champions in the same class with the same belt. Some didnt even win it. Let GBP offer them the right money and well see how important titles are.
          People can say "belts are meaningless" all they want. Walk into any boxing gym in the world and ask the fighters in that gym how much being a world champion would mean to them. So I don't want to hear that ****.

Fact of the matter is, neither guy wants this fight, they're not even in the same weight class, both fighters want to win a world title and Matthysse is the mandatory challenger for a world title.

These guys want to be world champions. Not undercard circus acts that beat each others brains out for entertainment.
          Last edited by -PBP-; 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

WTF now is Malignaggi vs Maidana?? What happen to

http://www.boxingscene.com/malignagg...-by-wba--61707

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              Agreed.

I feel Schaefer wants the title to go to the more marketable Berto or Mosley if Paulie loses, not Maidana.

Matthysse and Maidana are fighting at two different weights with no titles and don't appear to want to fight each other.

Malignaggi and Maidana want to fight each other for the title - and Schaefer won't let it happen.
              When a fighter lacks marketing power, part of that can be blamed on the promoter. Maidana has an fan-friendly style and has fought multiple times on premium TV, so he isn't a complete unknown like Chaves. Berto was getting great pay-days from HBO, but I doubt he was doing the #'s to justify those pay-days. Mosley is coming back for a pay-day, and since Paulie is the easiest titlist to beat, he went for that. Mosley/Berto makes more sense than Malignaggi vs. either guy.
              Last edited by kiaba360; 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                It's obvious why he doesn't want to make it, he just saw a fat outta shape cano kick Paulies ass and knows maidana, who is 10X the fighter cano is, would wreck paulie

He needs paulie to hold on to keep the title hostage until he can cherry pick paulie to a fighter like Khan or Garcia when they move up
                that would be pretty ****ed up if true....

Comment

Neither deserves to be champion. Good call Golden Boy, Marcos got dominated against Alexander and Paulie might be the worst champ in all of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing_prospect View Post
                    And yet Golden Boy want to blame Arum every time a co-promotion falls apart. Golden Boy and Arum are both as bad as each other.
                    Sadly this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjames616 View Post
                      Neither deserves to be champion. Good call Golden Boy, Marcos got dominated against Alexander and Paulie might be the worst champ in all of boxing.
                      So who should fight Paulie then?

Comment

Working...
                      X