No announcement yet.

Boxers who never did weights/pushups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers who never did weights/pushups?

Can you name me some great boxers who didn't lift any weights or even did any push-ups?

I can't give green k, but I'd appreciate your help.

So far, the only boxers I know who don't are Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Ron Lyle would do 1000 push-ups an hour while in prison - Lyle was a `Beast`

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Thanks, but the opposite of what I was looking for.

Comment

i dunno man...

james toney?

i think all he does is eat...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          i dunno man...

james toney?

i think all he does is eat...
          lol thats a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post
            Can you name me some great boxers who didn't lift any weights or even did any push-ups?

I can't give green k, but I'd appreciate your help.

So far, the only boxers I know who don't are Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard.
            they all did some sort of resistance training though. They probably chopped wood for hours which can build lots of strength.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              I heard he did about 500. I guess in an hour though 1000 is feasable.

Margarito looks like he doesn't do many weights.

Comment

There's plenty of fighters that never used weights, and probably just as many that were too fat for pushups, but as for doing neither, i'd hazard a guess at 'two ton' Tony Galento who virtually trained on spaghetti & beer..
                Good old Henry Cooper never picked up a weight in his life, and still can't understand why they're used in boxing gyms.. TBH, I agree with him.. Push ups are essential but weights, in my opinion slow a fighter down..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  There's plenty of fighters that never used weights, and probably just as many that were too fat for pushups, but as for doing neither, i'd hazard a guess at 'two ton' Tony Galento who virtually trained on spaghetti & beer..
                  Good old Henry Cooper never picked up a weight in his life, and still can't understand why they're used in boxing gyms.. TBH, I agree with him.. Push ups are essential but weights, in my opinion slow a fighter down..
                  You are a really good poster but that is a really outdated misconception. Virtually all the top fighters today train with weights, and if you use them properly, which means training for strength instead of training to gain size, there will be no speed losses.

Manny Pacquiao who as we all know is among the fastest fighters in the game today, uses weights.

And to be honest, I think the fact that most fighters today use weights whereas most fighters 50 or 60 years ago didn't might have been the difference in a lot of fantasy matchups between similary skiled fighters. Put two fighters in the ring with similar skill levels and attributes, and give one the benefit of state of the art strength training with weights etc, and leave one with only calisthenics to build strength, it would be the difference. I don't know how many of you have ever fought for real but if you are evenly matched with skills, speed etc and your opponent is just that bit physically stronger, often a rough night.
                  Last edited by RightCross94; 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Howard Davis Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X