Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 AM #21
Amateur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Batfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,074.52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furn View Post
This is based on the The Manuel Velazquez Fatality Collection, which started out as just a guy collecting newspaper clippings but grew into a more complete database of fatalities in boxing and seems to be the most accurate record out there. It includes fighters believed to died due to injuries from boxing.
Well, I got in touch with Joseph Svinth, who created and maintains the Manuel Velazquez Fatality Collection. He gave me some tips and was kind enough to email me his raw data and explain the methodology.

It's a lot to go through - the data begins in 1724. I'm trying to focus on 1980-2016, and even that small window includes 300 names; he suggests that the only way to find out which of those 300 guys had their fathers in their corners is to google each name, one by one...

I'll start working through it tomorrow.
Batfrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM #22
NSB's Reasonable Guy

Quoted: 10074 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,489,195,169,606,842,449,920.00
Total Points: 8,944,408,856,213,133,983,744.00
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfrett View Post
Well, I got in touch with Joseph Svinth, who created and maintains the Manuel Velazquez Fatality Collection. He gave me some tips and was kind enough to email me his raw data and explain the methodology.

It's a lot to go through - the data begins in 1724. I'm trying to focus on 1980-2016, and even that small window includes 300 names; he suggests that the only way to find out which of those 300 guys had their fathers in their corners is to google each name, one by one...

I'll start working through it tomorrow.
Nice, but f#ck at the googling lol. The biggest problem with that is usually there aren't a lot of details with these injuries or deaths. I guess you'll be able to find out some % even if its not based on the full 300 guys so that should be interesting. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Also whats the top theories why having a father in the corner could make a severe injury or death more likely? Feels like his kid is special & immune to this level of injury? Can't happen to me or mine syndrome. Feels like he's being too soft with his kid so allows things to go well past a point most would stop a fight?

I'm also curious if this is just about dad's & not about long term relationships as when I was looking up guys since seeing this thread I've noticed a few of these guys had trainers that they've been with since they were kids first getting into boxing. Obviously that'd be a much harder stat to confirm with the info out there, but naturally my mind went to "why" when first seeing this thread & most of the things that could be problems with dads in the corner seem like they could be problems with guys who've trained men since they were children too.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 PM #23
Amateur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Batfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond reputeBatfrett has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 3,074.52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Also whats the top theories why having a father in the corner could make a severe injury or death more likely? Feels like his kid is special & immune to this level of injury? Can't happen to me or mine syndrome. Feels like he's being too soft with his kid so allows things to go well past a point most would stop a fight?

I'm also curious if this is just about dad's & not about long term relationships as when I was looking up guys since seeing this thread I've noticed a few of these guys had trainers that they've been with since they were kids first getting into boxing. Obviously that'd be a much harder stat to confirm with the info out there, but naturally my mind went to "why" when first seeing this thread & most of the things that could be problems with dads in the corner seem like they could be problems with guys who've trained men since they were children too.
No solid answers as to why fathers are bad cornermen, but I've seen the same speculative suggestions a few times:

1. It is hard to be objective with your son because you love him, and you care about his feelings; a hired trainer, on the other hand, sees his fighter as a client and revenue source, and is protective of him because the trainer's reputation and livelihood are at stake. Basically, the father is more interested in his son WINNING, and the trainer is more interested in the fighter SURVIVING to fight again

2. Sons might want to impress their fathers more than regular trainers, and not admit that they want to quit

3. Fathers are much more likely to try to live vicariously through their sons than a trainer who has handled lots of boxers in a professional capacity are

4. If the ref knows a boxer has his dad in the corner, he might not be as proactive as he otherwise would be, because he might assume the dad will be protective of the son and/or be better at recognizing when the kid is in trouble (also, refs usually do step in when they feel a fighter is taking too much punishment, but they usually get booed for doing it, and might want to pass the responsibility/blame to the dad when they can)

And no, I've seen the "father in the corner is the most common factor in the most dangerous fights" too many times for it to be about how long a fighter and pro trainer have worked together.
Batfrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:15 PM #24
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 9755 Post(s)
Motorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,100,001,002,514,192.00
always dropping hot boxing news first - Sup Do your thang m8 - Canelo and GGG for exposing (((them))) - Sup Nobody cared when you were banned because nobody likes you - Arthur Dayne Good effort!!! - MDPopescu 
Rock on brother - siablo14 splitting your mommy clean in two - //// clown - apples Because you can't keep our white dlcks out of your mouth - !nternation Thanks for the help - 1bad65 

Great thread
Motorcity Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM #25
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3581 Post(s)
aldo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond reputealdo5408 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 408,763,175.58
Total Points: 200,000,000,244,806,848.00
These didn't come in black unfortunately - Krusher P4P #1 cheers bro - KOVALBOXER Happy Holidays !! - KOVALBOXER Merry Christmas and Happy 2016 - Freedom. Thank you.  You are a man of your word. - Mike Dyson 

Great research bro
aldo5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:10 AM #26
NSB's Reasonable Guy

Quoted: 10074 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,489,195,169,606,842,449,920.00
Total Points: 8,944,408,856,213,133,983,744.00
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas 

Daniel Franco who received a brain injury & is still in a coma from his last fight with Jose Haro was trained & cornered by his father, Al Franco & his assistant trainer is actually his brother Michael Franco.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
deaths, injuries, trainers

User Tag List