Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Golovkin really tie Hopkins' title fight streak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
    Sturm was the WBA champion when he was defending it..there was no "super" champion..GGG was not the real WBA champ, Sturm was
    Indeed - hence why I personally count only those defenses made of the regular title when there is no incumbent 'super' champion (15 in GGGs case) Nonetheless if you go on the WBAs website they were the ones congratulating Golovkin on his 20 defenses, and it's their records that the media are running with. The WBA obviously need to pretend that both their titles are legitimate (not much point in handing out extra straps otherwise), so they have always counted all their regular defenses as part of a 'title run' - it's just that no-one gave enough of a damn to question it before.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      Sturm was the WBA champion when he was defending it..there was no "super" champion..GGG was not the real WBA champ, Sturm was
      exactly. Again it's one thing to count WBA Regular if there is NO OTHER CHAMP. But when there is already a Super champ NOBODY counts it never have. The media has never paid attention or reported on it. GGG is the only time I can find where this has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
        no this about the media. Belt orgs do stupid shyt crooked shyt even and the media ignores or calls them out. The WBA didn't want to advertise this BS the media started doing it to prop GGG. And media member like for example even fat boy dan makes a point to demean the WBA and their regular/super belts all the time and mocks the regular belt holder any chance he gets. Yet in the millions of articles and reporting he's done on GGG over the years he NEVER mentions to the public hey this record is garbage he held the jr bs belt while they had a real champion for 4 years more more then half the defenses are bogus ect ect. Fat boy dan never says a peep and many other members knew this record was bogus and pawned it to inflate GGG's career. It's unprecedented I can't find a single example of this ever happening in boxing. The media has always ignored defense records for secondary belts...ALWAYS. They aren't mentioned or reported on...UNTIL they suddenly did for GGG.
        Oh, I agree that it was bogus and the media shouldn't have run with it - but media do what media do, it's just that this time you didn't like the guy they were hyping - all I was saying is that it didn't start with GGG as you claimed... the WBA have always counted defenses of the regular title whether or not there was also a super champ... it's just that no one gave a damn before because no-one made more than a coupla of defenses. And historically like you say the WBA regular and super situation is unprecedented - there never has been a situation where a 'secondary' belt (which was originally 'the' belt) is sometimes the primary belt and sometimes isn't. What you're saying is that sometimes we count the regular and sometimes we don't. Golovkin was either the sole WBA champion or the super champion for 15 fights but you think he should only be credited with what 9 or 10 defenses? Maybe you need to create a consistent ruling on exactly which defenses you count? Honestly, man, your obsession with stamping on all things Golovkin is a lil creepy. Seen you going in on Loeffler and Sanchez with real venom, even when other guys from his gym lose. That's Pac*** level weirdness, man.

And yeah - hope you ain't one of those talking about Canelo becoming a 3 weight champion if he beats fielding then? Cos yeah - it absolutely is being sold as a 'world title' clash.

"This is great way to watch Canelo make history as he steps up in weight to win a world title in a third division," said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "I'm pleased that fans will be able to watch this event at local cinemas across the nation."
        Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-20-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Aside from Canelo, I can only imagine the backlash ggg would receive if he rematched two separate guys, even facing one 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            Huh? Well officially, yeah, but that's only if you allow that the WBA was counting two separate champions simultaneously. I personally don't. I count Golovkin's title run from when he became sole WBA champion after Geale vacated, which would put him on 15 defences. Still others will only count it from when he was elevated to WBA 'super' champ (around the time he did actually fight Geale) which would put him on 10 or 11 defenses I think.

Course there's also the argument about why Sturm was elevated instead of being stripped at the start of GGG title run, but that's another story.
            Do you also count his first WBA interim title fight?

Golovkin has:

1 WBA interim title fight
            10 WBA world title fights
            9 WBA super world title fights

It seems his whole streak is a sham

Comment

Originally posted by Snowballer View Post
              Do you also count his first WBA interim title fight?

Golovkin has:

1 WBA interim title fight
              10 WBA world title fights
              9 WBA super world title fights

It seems his whole streak is a sham
              I think he was elevated after he won the interim so all his defenses were of the regular title, so 10 and 10 (technically maybe 9 of the super since the WBA didn't sanction the Brook fight I believe - though I think there's dispute over how you whether you would still count it since he had the IBF and WBC by that time.

Sham? Well depends what you mean I guess. It's not like GGGs tried to con anyone - by the WBAs official record he does have 20 defenses and it ain't like they changed their record keeping especially for GGG, but I don't count it that way (it's 15 by my reckoning). By any way of counting he has a unusually long defense streak, but it ain't a particularly strong one.

If anyone's to blame it's the WBA for elevating Sturm to 'super' champion (and changing their own rules to allow that to happen) instead of simply making him fight Golovkin or drop the belt... but then they are so full of ish that nothing should really surprise us. If it is a 'sham' it wasn't one perpetrated by Golovkin, and you can't really blame his promoter for running with it, though maybe the boxing media should have been more cynical.

http://www.wbaboxing.com/boxing-news...-title-defense
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-20-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I think he was elevated after he won the interim so all his defenses were of the regular title, so 10 and 10 (technically maybe 9 of the super since the WBA didn't sanction the Brook fight I believe - though I think there's dispute over how you whether you would still count it since he had the IBF and WBC by that time.

Sham? Well depends what you mean I guess. It's not like GGGs tried to con anyone - by the WBAs official record he does have 20 defenses and it ain't like they changed their record keeping especially for GGG, but I don't count it that way (it's 15 by my reckoning). By any way of counting he has a unusually long defense streak, but it ain't a particularly strong one.

If anyone's to blame it's the WBA for elevating Sturm to 'super' champion (and changing their own rules to allow that to happen) instead of simply making him fight Golovkin or drop the belt... but then they are so full of ish that nothing should really surprise us. If it is a 'sham' it wasn't one perpetrated by Golovkin, and you can't really blame his promoter for running with it, though maybe the boxing media should have been more cynical.

http://www.wbaboxing.com/boxing-news...-title-defense
                It's a sham. Sham because its used by the powers in boxing with the sole purpose to hype GGG to make him more marketable.

I definitely do not blame the fighter. This is yet again another move by an ABC body to further complicate boxing for the benefit of filling their pockets at the expense of fans.

Comment

Oh, I agree that it was bogus and the media shouldn't have run with it - but media do what media do, it's just that this time you didn't like the guy they were hyping - all I was saying is that it didn't start with GGG as you claimed... the WBA have always counted defenses of the regular title whether or not there was also a super champ... it's just that no one gave a damn before because no-one made more than a coupla of defenses. And historically like you say the WBA regular and super situation is unprecedented - there never has been a situation where a 'secondary' belt (which was originally 'the' belt) is sometimes the primary belt and sometimes isn't. What you're saying is that sometimes we count the regular and sometimes we don't. Golovkin was either the sole WBA champion or the super champion for 15 fights but you think he should only be credited with what 9 or 10 defenses? Maybe you need to create a consistent ruling on exactly which defenses you count? Honestly, man, your obsession with stamping on all things Golovkin is a lil creepy. Seen you going in on Loeffler and Sanchez with real venom, even when other guys from his gym lose. That's Pac*** level weirdness, man.

And yeah - hope you ain't one of those talking about Canelo becoming a 3 weight champion if he beats fielding then? Cos yeah - it absolutely is being sold as a 'world title' clash.
                  Why the phuk would I care what promoters say? Hell promoters advertise Interim belts as world title fights all the time. The problem isn't whether you think it's a world title or not the problem is the media has never been a propaganda tool for a fighter let alone done something as unprecedented as try to trick the public by tacking on bogus title defenses to inflate 1 fighters career. Not once did the media EVER tell the public that more then half these defense came when he was a secondary belt holder and that the WBA had a real world champ. Again this has NEVER happened before GGG. ABC orgs can be crooked do stupid or shady things, promoters will say anything to sell a fight but the media has NEVER acknowledged secondary or regional or interm defense records EVER...before they all did it to prop up GGG. The same media that is still trying to tell fans today that GGG didn't really lose to Canelo even though the judges that actually know how to score fights said so, even though overwhelming the fighters all say Canelo beat GGG and even though the trainers overwhelming say Canelo beat GGG. Why did the media get it so wrong well maybe because so many of them were bias, they helped build GGG's legacy in the first place off the back of lies. The record was manipulated, fraudulent and the media knows it but kept promoting the streak to fool the public.

Comment

The practise of having multiple champions is a black eye for boxing. We already have too many sanctioning bodies. Its ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowballer View Post
                      It's a sham. Sham because its used by the powers in boxing with the sole purpose to hype GGG to make him more marketable.

I definitely do not blame the fighter. This is yet again another move by an ABC body to further complicate boxing for the benefit of filling their pockets at the expense of fans.
                      Well like I say, not just Golovkin - he's just the first fighter that happened to get enough defenses for it to become an issue, but yeah, BS nonetheless...

The WBA have a lot to answer for, man -the BS around Sturm both at MW and SMW was corruption at it's finest, and if anything they even rose to new heights by making Tank the 'super' champion within even the slightest pretense at legitimising it. At least when they gave it to Sturm they went to the effort of changing their rulebook a coupla months before they actually elevated him.

Comment

Working...
                      X