Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errol Spence Jr vs Diego Chaves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be smart matchmaking. If Thurman were to lose to Porter, knocking out Chaves stacks Spence's resume a lot closer to his. Chaves is considered one of Thurman's best wins, and if he defeats him more impressively, that would make noise.

The right way to go is Chaves or Bundu if you ask me.

Comment

Chaves has decent hand speed and enough on his punches to keep Spence honest. It would be a good fight for both. For Chaves to have to chance to snatch up Spence's momentum & for Spence to face an opponent that you can't just walk down without having to work for it.

Comment

Would be a good fight.

What is Larry referencing when he talks about Spence needing a dirty fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
          The rising star vs the dangerous boxer puncher.

Chaves will be a bit outsized as he should really be at 140 but Spence will be in with the biggest puncher of his career and by far the most skilled (imo).

Spence has consistently shown he is there for the right hand of which Chaves has one of the best in the game, while Chaves has shown weakness to the body of which Spence may be able to exploit.

I see it as 50-50.
          Id prefer Spence vs Provodnikov. Provo has less skill but better will and a game changing punch. Chaves has been stopped and Provo hasnt. If spence could stop Provo itd mean a helluva lot more than stopping 1x's leftovers.

Comment

i think this should be his next step and then lamont peterson afterwards. if he passes those tests like he did the algieri one he should have a pretty well-rounded education by the end of it

is chaves still tied up with arum though?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              Would be a good fight.

What is Larry referencing when he talks about Spence needing a dirty fighter?
              Rios's *****ing because he was getting ****ed up. Apparently Chaves became a dirty fighter for one night and never did it again or before.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Id prefer Spence vs Provodnikov. Provo has less skill but better will and a game changing punch. Chaves has been stopped and Provo hasnt. If spence could stop Provo itd mean a helluva lot more than stopping 1x's leftovers.
                Wow really? I rate Chaves higher than Lucas and we saw what happened there. Chaves was stopped in a firefight against a monster puncher, there's no shame in that. He deserved his win over Rios and I honest to my heart I believe he deserved the draw if not even more against Bradley.

If Spence beats Chaves I'm sold, I was legit worried for Kell Brook when that fight was supposed to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post
                  Chaves has decent hand speed and enough on his punches to keep Spence honest. It would be a good fight for both. For Chaves to have to chance to snatch up Spence's momentum & for Spence to face an opponent that you can't just walk down without having to work for it.
                  And Chaves has the experience with Thurman/Bradley/Rios of that level so I doubt he gets blasted like Chris who showed he neither has the power or chin at that level.

It's just his soft body though coupled with Spence's bodywork that makes me hesitant to pick him.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                    Wow really? I rate Chaves higher than Lucas and we saw what happened there. Chaves was stopped in a firefight against a monster puncher, there's no shame in that. He deserved his win over Rios and I honest to my heart I believe he deserved the draw if not even more against Bradley.

If Spence beats Chaves I'm sold, I was legit worried for Kell Brook when that fight was supposed to happen.
                    I feel your sentiment man, styles make fights though so if I were a Brook fan Id worry more about Chaves than say a guy like Provo. Spence (as a former Olympian) I am sure can box his butt off and use the ring well but he is a big young guy that bullies fighters with skill, so I think itd give Provo a chance to land some because Spence comes forward, itd test Spences beard (remember Ortiz vs Maidana)? Given Brooks style hed easily outbox Provo but a guy with skill and decent pop like Chaves presents a threat to Brook especially because hes dirty inside and Brook tends to grab. Id favor Brook and Spence over both but stylistically I think both guys need to fight guys like we mentioned to prove they are living up to their hype.

Comment

The way Spence fights - he comes forward plants his feet and he looks to destroy you, that type of fighter when he gets hit tends to get hit clean and takes the full force of the punch. That is not to say Spence isn't responsible with his approach, and doesn't use technique and skill, because he does. But the original point stands, so this fight is interesting to me because if you get hit clean by Chaves, you have to have a very good chin to not get wobbled or worse and that will reveal another thing about Spence.

If he does have an exceptional chin he is going to be near impossible to beat at 147.

Comment

Working...
                      X