Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you like this fighter, you'll like...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by violaandme View Post
    yes it is a common misconception and he did not get cut all that much certainly not like the other 3 I named for sure but his fight with Ken Norton was stopped due to cuts also and his second fight in the early 80's though he went the distance and won he had a horific cut that took 60+ stitches to close
    Quarry was cut in the Norton fight, but the match itself was stopped because Quarry was taking too much punishment. Let me know if you remember who the opponent was in that other fight.

Comment

Well I had to dig around a bit and I can not find any footage of the fight but I swear I had seen it and it was nasty cut against James Williams in 1983 if I remember it was like 3 seperate cut that all worked into 1 cut by the end of the fight if you can find any footage please let me know it was a whole lot of blood all the articals I found have diferent stitch counts from 52, 62,67 so the actual number I am not sure though 62 was repeated in about half the articals I found and you are right about the Norton fight I just rewatched it man that was a great round 3 huh

Comment

Originally posted by violaandme View Post
        Well I had to dig around a bit and I can not find any footage of the fight but I swear I had seen it and it was nasty cut against James Williams in 1983 if I remember it was like 3 seperate cut that all worked into 1 cut by the end of the fight if you can find any footage please let me know it was a whole lot of blood all the articals I found have diferent stitch counts from 52, 62,67 so the actual number I am not sure though 62 was repeated in about half the articals I found and you are right about the Norton fight I just rewatched it man that was a great round 3 huh
        Yeah, it could have happened then because Quarry was totally washed up and his fights were under the radar.

Comment

yeah his fights in 77 were hardly Quarry at all and when he came back in 83 for two Its hard to believe it was him and why they let him fight in the 90's is way beyond me

Comment

Okay guys how about... Barrera?

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
              Okay guys how about... Barrera?
              If you like Marco Antonio Barrera you'll like Myung-Woo Yuh.

Yuh reminds me of Barrera mainly because he had a good jab, a relentless body attack (particularly with his left hook), fluid combination-punching and versatility.

Yuh could fight both as a aggressor and put educated pressure on his opponent, or box on his back foot. He could also counter-punch beautifully with excellent timing and accuracy.

He wasn't exactly a defensive wizard, but his defence wasn't bad. Because of his lack of reflexes and physical tools, he mainly blocked or parried the incoming punches. If something got through, it caused no problems because of his great chin.

Overall, Yuh was a steady, technically sound all-round boxer with a textbook style. His only weakness was his lack of punching power, but he made up for it with his incredible stamina which allowed him to throw a high volume of quality textbook punches for the whole fight.

If you haven't seen anything of Myung-Woo Yuh before, I recommend you to watch his fight with Oh-Kong Son (non-stop action) or his bout against Hisashi Tokushima.

/greeh
              Last edited by greeh; 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Myung-Woo Yuh vs Oh-Kong Son

http://youtube.com/watch?v=njikTdl8Q28

Myung-Woo Yuh vs Hisashi Tokushima

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Le3Sqn-HZ0A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6x6bw8o2DXM

/greeh

Comment

If you like Rocky Marciano you’ll like Sung-Kil Moon.

Their offensive output mainly consisted of accurate clubbing bombs. Both of them also had a great chin, and overall they were physical monsters with horrific punching power.

/greeh
                  Last edited by greeh; 10-27-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
                    Thank you for your reply!

What similarities do you see between them? I'm curious to know if you think they are similar stylistically or if they share some traits.

/greeh
                    my b mo, just logged in and saw this:

They are both very intelligient fighters, move with great fluidity, both southpaws who switch stances nicely, both all-around fighters with complete game, can walk you down or box you. Johnson was a boxer who could walk you down, Hagler was known more to walk you down but he could def box.

in Johnson's fights where he is older, he tries to walk down his opponents and gets TKO'd in some of those fights. in one of those fights, some commentator (maybe larry merchant) speaks of johnson as a smaller version of hagler.

Comment

stylistically very simular, hagler was bigger and stronger for his weightclass tho, while johnson was average/small for the weightclasses he fought in.

Comment

Working...
                      X