Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBHOF Class of 2019 Includes Curry, Jackson, McGirt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They let Atlas in because if they didn't he would kill them.

Comment

Atlas is going in as an announcer. He was the face of ESPN Friday Night Fights forever so it's deserved.

But I think he might have merited entry as a trainer, too. Protege of Cus D'Amato who worked with world champions in several different weight classes across several different decades.

Gvozdyk is his latest champ so Teddy stayed relevant even into 2018.

Comment

History destroyed any mystique the HOF used to hold for me.

It is not clear as to why the International Boxing Hall of Fame Hall elected Jem Ward in 1995. He took a dive in two of his early fights and was probably involved in one other fixed fight. Ward's last fight (a 77-minute victory over Simon Byrne), was described by Gilbert Odd as "a disgraceful affair." In addition, Ward was not exactly a man of his word. Ward had agreed to turn over his championship belt to the winner of the Byrne-Burke fight, but when his fighter lost, (Byrne died following the fight), Ward reneged on his promise and kept the belt.
        Cyber Boxing Zone.

I don't hate the IBOHF. It just doesn't mean anything to me to be honored by them.

Comment

I'd have thought Ricky Hatton would get in this class.

Good fighters though but not HOF calibur. Well, borderline.

Comment

I dont have complaints with any of them getting in HOF

Comment

Here's a breakdown from the highly respected breadman himself:

Bread’s Response: I don’t know how Teddy Atlas was voted in but he deserves to go in as both. Atlas has tremendous knowledge and he’s articulate enough to translate his knowledge onto the microphone. Not many can do that. Atlas has had a 2 or 3 world champions which is a lot for this era and he did excellent amateur work with Mike Tyson. Congratulations Teddy Atlas.

I have been beating the drums for Donald Curry. Curry had the highest peak of any fighter who was NOT in the HOF. He was #2 P4P in 1985! To put into context how good Curry was in 1985 Michael Spinks, Tommy Hearns, Aaron Pryor and Azumah Nelson were active and close to their primes. Curry’s fall off was bad so that keeps him from being an All Time Great but he was definitely HOF worthy.

Julian Jackson is the hardest puncher most of us ever saw. He took some bad losses and he was a better puncher than he was a fighter. But he has done enough to be in and he should’ve been in. Jackson’s two best wins over Herol Graham and Terry Norris along with winning the junior middleweight title and middleweight title multiple times, Jackson was long overdue.

I will admit that I’m surprised Buddy McGirt got in. Not that Mcgirt wasn’t a tremendous fighter because he was. He was also a top 5 P4P guy in the early 90s. He also fought a perfect fight vs a long time unified champion in Simon Brown as an underdog. I was just surprised McGirt got the nod over Meldrick Taylor who stopped him in their primes and accomplished pretty much the same thing. But congrats to Buddy. He also deserves it. For any kid who wants to see basic boxing and the best foot feint around, watch his performance vs Simon Brown.

Now that Jackson and Curry are in I will beat the drums for Nigel Benn, Meldrick Taylor, Rafael Marquez and Ricky Hatton. All deserve SERIOUS consideration. I also have believe that Diego Corrales should at least be on the ballot. My goodness how can he not be. He was a two division champion. He won his title from a real champion who was undefeated in Robert Garcia. He defended his title vs a solid list of contenders. He moved up to 135 and went on his best career run vs Acelino Freitas, Joel Casamayor and Jose Luis Castillo. All 3 of those guys are HOF level fighters.

Of I forgot to mention that Corrales was in the best fight of this century and maybe ever. At least put the guy on the ballot!

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
                I dont have complaints with any of them getting in HOF
                Nice videos.
                Great visuals and music!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Once they let Arturo Gatti into the Hall the standards for enshrinement were severely damaged forever.
                  True and every one of these fighters were better than Gatti. I personally have no problem with Curry getting in. There are plenty of fighters in the Hall of fame that are debatable so I don't understand why this list is so shocking to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
                    Nice videos.
                    Great visuals and music!
                    Thanks man, appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
                      They let Atlas in because if they didn't he would kill them.

Comment

Working...
                      X