Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Golovkin get the same criticism as Ward if he doesn't rematch Jacobs ASAP?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a chance he'll do a rematch...it was too close of a call for Golovkin and the 3 stooges know it.

Comment

Dunno......... did ggg and Jacobs have a pre-agreed to rematch clause like Ward and Kovalev did?

Comment

Originally posted by The Tribe View Post
        It's not about the rematch clause.

It's about respect and reputation.
        Where was Pac's rematch with Floyd? Why is this different?

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
          The important difference is that Ward-Kovalev had a rematch clause in the original fight contract, Golovkin-Jacobs didn't. Jacobs does deserve a rematch, but i'd rather see Golovkin get the final belt and then face Canelo first.
          OP left himself opened to counters because of his example. Some quick research of past rematches from close fights would bring back many examples of fighters giving opponents a rematch with no rematch clause. OP used one unfortunately that would allow posters to skip the principal of the subject and go into technicalities.

Off the top
          Morales-Pac I - no rematch clause
          Mayweather-Castillo I - no rematch clause
          Mayweather-Maidana I - no rematch clause
          Pac-Bradley I - no rematch clause
          Morales-MAB I - no rematch clause

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            Mayweather v Maidana
            Mayweather v Castillo

Didn't have rematch clauses for the opponent. The fans thought the fights were close and Floyd gave them an immediate rematch without having to legally honor one.

But again, comparing GGG to something Mayweather would do is raising the standards and implying that GGG is great. He's good, but not great. So we shouldn't expect him to push himself against challenges or give rematches to fighters who may have beaten him.

No rematch clause, no rematch has to be honored. The career of a non a HOF'er.
            In hindsight it is pretty outstanding that an undefeated fighter would insist on taking rematches for the toughest, most debated fights of his career to settle the air and come out of the rematches with clear victories.

So like you said, to expect the same from another fighter is to set the standard very high. I think most (serious) people recognize that GGG is not going to go down as one of the best few fighters of all time like Mayweather. Not that he's a bum by any means.
            Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-21-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

And bringing up a fighters in OP:

Ward wanted to rematch Kessler since Kessler and his fans were saying the fight was unfair. Kessler declined. There was no rematch clause there.

Kovalev gave Darnell Boone a rematch, there was no rematch clause for that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                OP left himself opened to counters because of his example. Some quick research of past rematches from close fights would bring back many examples of fighters giving opponents a rematch with no rematch clause. OP used one unfortunately that would allow posters to skip the principal of the subject and go into technicalities.

Off the top
                Morales-Pac I - no rematch clause
                Mayweather-Castillo I - no rematch clause
                Mayweather-Maidana I - no rematch clause
                Pac-Bradley I - no rematch clause
                Morales-MAB I - no rematch clause
                Yes and rematches don't have to happen straight away do they?

Comment

Does OP think Ward would give any consideration to an immediate Kovalev rematch if he wasn't mandated to do so via rematch clause?

Reality is everyone knew GGGs plan ahead of time...beat Jacobs, then BJS to unify all belts, then Canelo.

So he goes out and beats Jacobs in a close fight. Now its time for BJS. Then Canelo. Then, if it still makes sense, a Jacobs rematch will still be there.

For all this talk regarding an immediate Jacobs rematch, Jacobs himself didn't initially sound all that enthusiastic when it was brought up in the ring post fight. Many of his fans (or GGG haters) seem to want it more than he does.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Yet I think Floyd should give PAC his rematch befoire GGG even entertains idea of giving jacoibs one.

Floyd not giving one armed fighter rematch is real evil

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      Mayweather-Pacquiao didn't end with a controversial decision. But you need minimal intelligence to understand why that's different.

Comment

Working...
                      X