Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think James Toney was skilled and talented?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTfloyd View Post
    If he had the discipline of a Floyd or Hopkins, he'd probably be known as one of the greatest fighters ever. He'd always lose to Roy, but if he bothered to be in shape, it would definitely be a closer fight. His only problem (besides BK as others have mentioned) is that he was so talented, he came into fights unprepared. That being said, he was willing to fight "anyone, anytime" and his positives outweigh (no pun intended) the negatives. If he hadn't torn his achilles, his heavyweight career might've been much different. Just watching him fight Jameel McCline's 6'6" goofy ass in 2004 would've been some fascinating ****.
    On what basis would Toney-Roy by a lot closer if he was "in shape?"

Which fights was he in shape for and how have you come to this conclusion?

Roy embarrasses Toney 100 times out of 100. Completely different levels of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      toney fought the kind of fighters that floyd mayweather avoided. i think everybody would see floyd mayweather as much more human if he'd fought the prime roy jones' of the world, the way james toney did.
      Originally posted by New England View Post
      i genuinely don't think floyd mayweather would even fight prime roy jones.

This dude at it again.

He says that Toney fought the kinds of fighters Mayweather avoided and the only name that he can think of is "Prime Roy Jones." Toney lost several times and/or had close/controversial decisions to the caliber of fighter that you would criticize Mayweather for fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        The only time Toney ever looked "phenomenal" was against sub par opponents.

Although he often looked like **** even against them.
        His best performances are probably Barkley, Jirov, Holyfield, Ruiz off the top of my head. He also fought well against McCallum both times even though I had him losing. There is no shame in losing to a Mike McCallum.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          His best performances are probably Barkley, Jirov, Holyfield, Ruiz off the top of my head. He also fought well against McCallum both times even though I had him losing. There is no shame in losing to a Mike McCallum.
          Barkely and Jirov are sub par, Holyfield was shot and Ruiz was an NC.

He fought well the first McCallum fight, second one I thought was a wider loss.

Comment

He was really talented and skilled. However, those attributes are mitigated by a lack of dedication and discipline. Which explain why he caught odd loses and never really made the most of his talent and skills.

Comment

hated him at first after he KO'd my boy Michael Nunn (i was cemented on his wagon for a minute)

but no doubt, Toney was very skilled and talented

i wish he was in shape and in this era at 160

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                Freddie Roach said James Toney was the most talented fighter he's ever worked with.

He said the same of Pacquiao, Rigondeaux, Tyson and Tapia, i don't believe anything that comes from Roach's mouth.

Comment

Working...
                X