The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Joe Frazier for Hating Muhammad Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    Yes, I made the change, I was trying to do it from memory:

Here's his all-time pound for pound list followed by his all-time Heavyweights:

BERT SUGAR'S TOP 10 FIGHTERS>>
    >>
    1. Sugar Ray Robinson, welterweight-middleweight, 1940-65
    2. Henry Armstrong, featherweight-lightweight-welterweight, 1940-59
    3. Willie Pep, featherweight, 1940-59
    4. Joe Louis, heavyweight, 1934-51
    5. Harry Greb, middleweight, light heavyweight, 1913-26
    6. Benny Leonard, lightweight, 1911-32
    7. Muhammad Ali, heavyweight, 1960-81
    8. Roberto Duran, lightweight, welterweight, junior middleweight, 1967-2001
    9. Jack Dempsey, heavyweight, 1914-27
    10. Jack Johnson, heavyweight, 1897-1928
    Source: "Boxing's Greatest Fighters," 2006

Sugar's top 10 heavyweights

1. Joe Louis
    2. Muhammad Ali
    3. Jack Dempsey
    4. Jack Johnson
    5. Gene Tunney
    6. Rocky Marciano
    7. Ezzard Charles
    8. George Foreman
    9. Joe Frazier
    10. Larry Holmes

Source: "Ringside: The Ten Greatest Heavyweights," ESPN Classic
    Nice to see Ezzard Charles on a top 10 heavyweight list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali/Marciano View Post
      Nice to see Ezzard Charles on a top 10 heavyweight list.
      his 175 record is much better than his heavyweight record, he shouldnt be top 10 on a heavyweight list. Top 25 pound for pound for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
        Coming up on "The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame"...

The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Joe Frazier for Hating Muhammad Ali

Hello, I'm butterfly1964, and Welcome to The Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame. A show that takes a look at boxing personalities and establishments who have made questionable decisions, controversial comments, or unpopular stances, and take a deeper look into these matters. My job is not to further villify these individuals, but to challenge conventional wisdom, and reexamine what has been accepted as fact. In this episode I'm counting down the top 5 reasons why you can't blame Joe Frazier for hating Muhammad Ali, even to this day. Their rivalry the spanned 3 fights, 41 rounds, and four years, had captivated the public's imagination and trancended boxing. But the rage that fueld Frazier's tank to give his all in the trilogy is still burning, to the point that no one can explain. Before I count down the reasons why you can't blame Joe Frazier, Here's a look at the start of their feud.

In 1996, when Ali carried the Olympic torch, and lit the fire to start the games, Joe Frazier watched it, and replied that he wished Ali had fallen in.

The tension between the two probably climaxed in January of 1974 at ABC's Wide World of Sports shortly before their rematch, when their infamous brawl occured.

Pushes Frazier down

Before I count down the top 5 reasons why you can't blame Joe Frazier for hating Muhammad Ali, here's a reason that didn't make the top five. I call it, "The Best of the Rest".

Best of the Rest

Frazier is Underrated - The things that Joe Frazier accomplished in the boxing ring give almost instant top ten heavyweight status. However, he is overlooked by many boxing and sports fans in general, partly due to his losses to Ali and George Foreman. Ali gets more prase as a fighter than Frazier does, this may be part of the animosity that Frazier feels towards Ali.

Coming up next on The Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame, we'll discuss Joe Frazier's roots.
        - -Why was OJ chosen and not Ali for Roots?

Or Joe?

Comment

Doing some background checking on Frazier I came across that Philly had a statue of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa before they got around to putting up a statue of Frazier. Is that correct? Fantasy trumps reality.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            Doing some background checking on Frazier I came across that Philly had a statue of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa before they got around to putting up a statue of Frazier. Is that correct? Fantasy trumps reality.
            What happen was Stallone had the statue built for the film and when done he didn't want to just destroy it so he talked the City of Philadelphia (who were reluctant) to display the statue. Winning Best Picture helped sway the City. But the City didn't go out of its way to honor Stallone, he paid for it.

With Frazier the City chose to honor him.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
              What happen was Stallone had the statue built for the film and when done he didn't want to just destroy it so he talked the City of Philadelphia (who were reluctant) to display the statue. Winning Best Picture helped sway the City. But the City didn't go out of its way to honor Stallone, he paid for it.

With Frazier the City chose to honor him.
              I thought it was kind of strange. Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -Why was OJ chosen and not Ali for Roots?

Or Joe?
                I appreciate you bumping these old threads and making your very QB comments. No snark, no BS, I've learned a bit through the process and just wanted to thank you.

Not so much to learn here, but, once y'all get going usually I pick up some snippets or details I did not know. Thanks again.

Comment

Why do people keep reviving these old halfwitted threads? Who is doing it? Who is the halfwit among us? A thread cannot be kept in sight because halfwits continually repost garbage from 15 years ago. This thread was garbage anyway.

The administration here is choked by their own halfwittedness. Do something, you flaming halfwits!

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Why do people keep reviving these old halfwitted threads? Who is doing it? Who is the halfwit among us? A thread cannot be kept in sight because halfwits continually repost garbage from 15 years ago. This thread was garbage anyway.

The administration here is choked by their own halfwittedness. Do something, you flaming halfwits!
                    - -U standing alone as the sole Quarterwit among halfwits twitter worthy.

Comment

OJ was perfect for that role. Ali would have been the wrong person, given the subject matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X