Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to build cardiovascar fitness for football (soccer)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build cardiovascar fitness for football (soccer)

First of all i know this is a boxing forum but fitness is fitness right and this is the only forum im a member of.

So im looking back to getting into a good standard of football after a couple of years out from playing. Im planning on playing as a centre mid which involves a lot of running, whereas i used to play as a centre back which is far less taxing.

Im not looking for any aesthetic improvements or any considerable fat loss, as aesthetically im fairly happy where i am so im just at maintainance with calories etc.

Im already doing weights 4 times a week, upper/lower split, although might push this back to 3 times a week because of training and matches.

I was wondering if anyone had any good fitness drills or any tips to get up to good cardiovascular fitness (both aerobic and anaerobic) in the shortest time possible.

Boxers are as fit as anyone, so drills that youve experienced in training etc would all be helpful. Im looking for specifics as im not a newbie to gym/exercise but ive never really focused particularly hard at the cardiovascular side of things.

Any help much appreciated

Wish I could help, but I'm a goalkeeper, so I tended to skip or cheat when it came to cardio.

Are you planning to be box-to-box, or a midfield destroyer?

Comment

I would suggest doing cardio in intervals. I am not to familiar with soccer as far as positions or what they do but from what I gather, theres a constant pace kept in soccer with sudden bursts of energy.

I knew a couple guys when I was in the Marines that played basketball and would do a distance runs on the street (5+ miles) and sprint between every other light pole they passed. They said it really helped with being energy efficient. I am assuming soccer requires the same efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by DionysusX View Post
        Wish I could help, but I'm a goalkeeper, so I tended to skip or cheat when it came to cardio.

Are you planning to be box-to-box, or a midfield destroyer?
        holding mid, so yeah midfield destroyer!

Comment

haha wtf is a "destroyer" is this an American term?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            holding mid, so yeah midfield destroyer!
            Ala Coquelin, or Kante (before he went to Chelsea).

That's definitely gonna require stamina, so hopefully you find the right exercises to get you in shape. Do you play for a club?

Comment

Originally posted by DionysusX View Post
              Ala Coquelin, or Kante (before he went to Chelsea).

That's definitely gonna require stamina, so hopefully you find the right exercises to get you in shape. Do you play for a club?
              not at the moment but its a couple of weeks before i get back into it!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                I would suggest doing cardio in intervals. I am not to familiar with soccer as far as positions or what they do but from what I gather, theres a constant pace kept in soccer with sudden bursts of energy.

I knew a couple guys when I was in the Marines that played basketball and would do a distance runs on the street (5+ miles) and sprint between every other light pole they passed. They said it really helped with being energy efficient. I am assuming soccer requires the same efficiency.
                thanks for the advice.

Comment

Go to a soccer pitch, sprint as fast as you can from one goal to the other. then walk around the sideline back to goal and do it again.

Repeat this until you throw up.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    First of all i know this is a boxing forum but fitness is fitness right and this is the only forum im a member of.

So im looking back to getting into a good standard of football after a couple of years out from playing. Im planning on playing as a centre mid which involves a lot of running, whereas i used to play as a centre back which is far less taxing.

Im not looking for any aesthetic improvements or any considerable fat loss, as aesthetically im fairly happy where i am so im just at maintainance with calories etc.

Im already doing weights 4 times a week, upper/lower split, although might push this back to 3 times a week because of training and matches.

I was wondering if anyone had any good fitness drills or any tips to get up to good cardiovascular fitness (both aerobic and anaerobic) in the shortest time possible.

Boxers are as fit as anyone, so drills that youve experienced in training etc would all be helpful. Im looking for specifics as im not a newbie to gym/exercise but ive never really focused particularly hard at the cardiovascular side of things.

Any help much appreciated
                    Try circuit training. You will not be disappointed I promise ya. Various local sports clubs do them. Sessions up to 3× ADAY from a couple of pound

Comment

Working...
                    X