Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by josenoway View Post
    Margarito hadn't fought at 147 for nearly 2 years when he faced Pac and he struggled to make the 150 CW. The Hydroxycut in his locker room wasn't there for allergies.
    Margarito fought at 147 for almost his entire career. If Manny fought Margarito at 147 then I would agree that Margarito may have had gone down too much but they fought at 150lbs. Many fighters need to come down in weight and many don't like to do it but to say that Margarito struggled to make 150lbs to the point that it was a major point is a joke. Show me an article that says that Margarito was too drained? Again, if it was at 147, perhaps but Margarito got 3lbs bonus.

The issue with it being at 150 was more because it was a title fight not because people thought Margarito was going to come drained.

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5804013

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Controversy erupted Saturday night before Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito even got in the ring.

A weight loss supplement was seen in Margarito's dressing room before the fight, and Pacquiao's team demanded that he be tested before the fight for possible banned substances. Texas officials, though, said the testing would be done after the fight as usual.

The weight loss supplement was reportedly Hydroxycut, sold over the counter.

Margarito struggled to lose the last few pounds this week to make the 150-pound contract weight for the fight.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
      Margarito fought at 147 for almost his entire career. If Manny fought Margarito at 147 then I would agree that Margarito may have had gone down too much but they fought at 150lbs. Many fighters need to come down in weight and many don't like to do it but to say that Margarito struggled to make 150lbs to the point that it was a major point is a joke. Show me an article that says that Margarito was too drained? Again, if it was at 147, perhaps but Margarito got 3lbs bonus.

The issue with it being at 150 was more because it was a title fight not because people thought Margarito was going to come drained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
        It would be like Mayweather moving up to 168lbs to face Lucein Bute, refusing to face Carl Froch and then fighting him two years later after he showed signs of being past it. That's a little more accurate.

Don't you see the irony. The thread starter is accusing Mayweather of avoiding a fight he actually tried to make, stating Mayweather waited until Mosley was faded. This is just factually incorrect.

What we do know is Mosley was prepared to come down to 142lbs to face Pacquiao, was refused then for being too good. Then he was faced when definitely faded.

These are the facts, they are undisputed.
        What? Is Bute meant to be Oscar here? It'd be nothing like it. Pac could have taken Mosley at 142, since he was desperate enough to offer. I'm pretty sure Cotto at 145 was more of a challenge, a better win than Mosley at 142 and I'm sure all the flo mos would agree had Pac taken Shane at 142.

But yeah, Team Pac wasn't so eager to face Mosley at the time. It's not so bad, I bet no other guy that fought at 130 18 months prior wanted a piece of Shane or Cotto, at 142 or 145.

Comment

• Who cares if he fought mainly at 147, that's not the point. The point is he hadn't fought at 147 for nearly 2 years, spent a year out of the ring before looking like **** against Garcia in his tune-up bout at 154, then struggled to cut to to the 150 CW for the Pac fight. You think he had Hydroxycut with him because of allergies or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
            You know the truth. Yet you leave out facts.Bob wouldn't give him what he wanted so he bought out his contract. That's what a man does.

Fkoyd was fighting at 135 a year prior to when u want him to fight cotto and margs-so do you give him the same excuse you give manny? Why are you asking hypothetical question? Oh yeah you are trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Cotto and margs has nothing to do with marghs and manny. A bonus of 3 lbs. Wow that's pathetic. All manny did was fight tr promoted opponents without any ped testing. Please don't act like he truly tested himself.
            You guys are king when it comes to discussing hypothetical and fantasy fights but now you don't like examples that shoot down your statements? lol!

No ... Floyd didn't do what Manny did. Not even close. Floyd's first fight at 147 was another 140lbs career fighter and Floyd was at 135 in 2003. Floyd could have fought Cotto in late 2007 early 2008. Margarito could have happened even in late 2006 instead of Baldomir.

A man would have fought Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Williams, Manny when they were prime and ready. Not fighting one may have been circumstances but all of them? There are more fighters that I can name but if you can't get the point, what's the point?

The truth is that Floyd didn't want a piece of Margarito!
            Floyd knew that he had to fight Margarito next and didn't want any of that.The Oscar fight still relied on a few things happening and it could have not happened. There were no guarantees. In fact it didn't even happen that year, did it?

As for PEDs, Manny agreed to fight Floyd with PEDs testing but Floyd didn't want even though he said "All I want is for Manny to take the test". So you fail!

Funny how you guys can still bring up PEDs but don't like when we bring it up? Manny fought Marquez with very high suspicions of PEDs since Marquez looked very big and had a known PEDs expert that even said he knew 20 undetectable drugs. Imagine Floyd fighting Manny with a trainer who said that? lol! I can't ... lol!
            Last edited by ADP02; 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              What? Is Bute meant to be Oscar here? It'd be nothing like it. Pac could have taken Mosley at 142, since he was desperate enough to offer. I'm pretty sure Cotto at 145 was more of a challenge, a better win than Mosley at 142 and I'm sure all the flo mos would agree had Pac taken Shane at 142.

But yeah, Team Pac wasn't so eager to face Mosley at the time. It's not so bad, I bet no other guy that fought at 130 18 months prior wanted a piece of Shane or Cotto, at 142 or 145.
              First, don't blame me for the bad anaolgy, as I never brought it up.

Second, considering Shane at 147lbs was more of a challenge than Oscar (Roach said "he's too good" not, "Cotto's better"), it lends more to the fact that they were matchmaking carefully, not looking for the greater challenge. It doesn't what any "*****" or "*******" thinks (I hate those terms), Roach wasn't so coonfident so the fight didn't happen until they felt better about it.... after Molsey was well and truly done.

Comment

• Originally posted by josenoway View Post
                http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5804013

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Controversy erupted Saturday night before Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito even got in the ring.

A weight loss supplement was seen in Margarito's dressing room before the fight, and Pacquiao's team demanded that he be tested before the fight for possible banned substances. Texas officials, though, said the testing would be done after the fight as usual.

The weight loss supplement was reportedly Hydroxycut, sold over the counter.

Margarito struggled to lose the last few pounds this week to make the 150-pound contract weight for the fight.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
                That article had more to do with Margarito being on PEDs than Margarito being drained. You fail!

Mosley on 24/7 against Floyd said he was too dry to pee for the PEDs test because he was trying to lose weight. So I guess Mosley was weight drained for Floyd?

Most fighters need to lose pounds prior to their weigh-in. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are drained. Right? After these same guys gain 15-20lbs and have a huge size advantage over someone like Manny who had a hard time even coming up to 147 at weigh-in.

Like I said, Margarito never stated that he struggled to make weight to the point that it affected his performance. That is, Margarito was not weight drained. Margarito was punch drunk that night! LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                  First, don't blame me for the bad anaolgy, as I never brought it up.

Second, considering Shane at 147lbs was more of a challenge than Oscar (Roach said "he's too good" not, "Cotto's better"), it lends more to the fact that they were matchmaking carefully, not looking for the greater challenge. It doesn't what any "*****" or "*******" thinks (I hate those terms), Roach wasn't so coonfident so the fight didn't happen until they felt better about it.... after Molsey was well and truly done.
                  Pac would have been a 10-1 underdog to either Cotto or Mosley, 12 months before the Cotto fight. No kidding they were matchmaking, very aggressively still. I mean, he could have taken on someone like Jennings (at full 147 even!), or Sharmba Mitchell or something.

Comment

• can someone explain why spinks judah and baldomir were such great fighters? spinks lost to antonio diaz who margarito beat to a pulp. these guys weren't even above the competition margarito was fighting yet some people are pretending like they were great. so sad. the lineage was watered down so badly that a bum like baldomir eventually had it. AND THAT'S WHEN MAYWEATHER STRIKES!

Comment

• The phuck are you going on about? What part of weight loss supplement do you not understand? The article says NOTHING about PEDs.

Your reading comprehension = fail.

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                      That article had more to do with Margarito being on PEDs than Margarito being drained. You fail!

Mosley on 24/7 against Floyd said he was too dry to pee for the PEDs test because he was trying to lose weight. So I guess Mosley was weight drained for Floyd?

Most fighters need to lose pounds prior to their weigh-in. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are drained. Right? After these same guys gain 15-20lbs and have a huge size advantage over someone like Manny who had a hard time even coming up to 147 at weigh-in.

Like I said, Margarito never stated that he struggled to make weight to the point that it affected his performance. That is, Margarito was not weight drained. Margarito was punch drunk that night! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                      X