Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top ten heavyweight fights of the last ten years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
    Brewster vs Klitschko 1 certainly warrants a mention. I just love Brewster's "Relentless" tag, not so much a nickname as simply a perfect description of his style. Here's the first round of Brewster vs Etienne (from May 2000). Unfrotunately I've not seen the rest of the fight, but if it's anything like this then that fight has to go down as one of the greatest of all time.

It's a scrap. First round was best round; fairly one-sided from there but still thrilling. Ettienne actually outdid it a few months later with Clay-Bey (in what was probably the second best Heavyweight action fight the 2000s after Brewster-Lyak)...

...then we found out about the glass skull. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      List needs more Brewster. The first fight with Wlad was pretty awesome and no lower than 3rd given I agree with your first two. The wars with Meehan (even with a bad decision) and the war with Kraniqi (where he had to score two knockouts on the road to win) bury stuff like Brock-Chambers and Peter-Toney. Wlad-Brewster I was much better than that sloppy Arreola-Walker fight too.

The Ettienne war was a little outside this range, but was epic too. Dude WAS the excitement at Heavyweight for that little run he had 04-06.

yo i got a fever
      and the only prescription
      is more lamon brewster

i'll respectfully disagree about arreola and walker though
      those guys threw down at a pace they could never sustain and you knew it wouldnt last

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        yo i got a fever
        and the only prescription
        is more lamon brewster

i'll respectfully disagree about arreola and walker though
        those guys threw down at a pace they could never sustain and you knew it wouldnt last
        Yeah, Walker is a D fighter and that was a sloppy B fight. Wlad-Lamon I is a war at higher levels IMO.

and, yeah, I had Walken in my head when I wrote that.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
          Brewster vs Klitschko 1 certainly warrants a mention. I just love Brewster's "Relentless" tag, not so much a nickname as simply a perfect description of his style. Here's the first round of Brewster vs Etienne (from May 2000). Unfrotunately I've not seen the rest of the fight, but if it's anything like this then that fight has to go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Minto's a warrior. Very fun fighter, despite his limitations. Quite nice to see Chambers in two fights on your list. Chambers's style isn't that pleasing on its own, but he always seems to be involved in better than average fights, due to his rather passive defensive nature coupled with his constant coming forward which seems to force fighters to open up on him more and get crisply countered in the process.
          Ha, the mention of Ettiene got me thinking (no easy feat!) and I just remembered the Ettiene vs Clay-Bey fight was an excellent scrap!!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Ha, the mention of Ettiene got me thinking (no easy feat!) and I just remembered the Ettiene vs Clay-Bey fight was an excellent scrap!!
            Some decent fights mentioned here but and i hate to be the party pooper i think its sad that in the last TEN YEARS these are the best fights we can muster up from our HW's.

Ettiene vs Clay-Bey was a classic tho, even better than Brewster vs The White Wolf but then that was a lil Over 10 years now

Edit: BTW does anyone have a copy of The Black Rhino vs Clay-Bey they can upload? My own copy is in Russian!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
              Some decent fights mentioned here but and i hate to be the party pooper i think its sad that in the last TEN YEARS these are the best fights we can muster up from our HW's.

Ettiene vs Clay-Bey was a classic tho, even better than Brewster vs The White Wolf but then that was a lil Over 10 years now

Edit: BTW does anyone have a copy of The Black Rhino vs Clay-Bey they can upload? My own copy is in Russian!
              I think I've only seen it once on ESPN classic, since it happened. Its not on youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I think I've only seen it once on ESPN classic, since it happened. Its not on youtube?
                I dont know about You Tube but when i used to like a complete MUG buy my boxing dvds out of the boxing mags ect, nobody could ever supply me with that fight, i downloaded it from here but there only seems to be the Russian version which is incredibly off putting!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  I dont know about You Tube but when i used to like a complete MUG buy my boxing dvds out of the boxing mags ect, nobody could ever supply me with that fight, i downloaded it from here but there only seems to be the Russian version which is incredibly off putting!
                  Check with Obama, he can probably help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                    you have to take haye v barrett off this list, other than that, i really like this list.

mesi jirov was a GREAT fight, I'm surprised no one had wlad-brewster on their lists

I would have in no partiucular order:

Lewis-Vit
                    Lyakhovitch v Brewster
                    Wlad-Brewster
                    Wlad V Peter 1
                    Mesi Jirov
                    Freakin Arreola-Adamek
                    Sanders-Vit
                    Povetkin-Chambers
                    Brewster-Krasniqui
                    CHambers-Dimitrinko

And just for fun I give a HUUUUUUUUGE honorable mention to any good Brian Minto fight like vs Maddalone and Arreola.
                    I found Haye-Barrett quite fun. I thought Haye was gonna bring some excitement to the division but it didn't quite work out like that!

Comment

Working...
                    X