No announcement yet.

BoxRec reliabilty?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
    Glad you mentioned 'bare knuckle fights'. The more I read and learn about the dinosaur era and its hardmen (i.e. pre-Sullivan), the more intriguing it gets.
    I'm writing a book and i've got about 16,000 words just up to Jack Broughton in 1743.

Comment

Originally posted by escudo View Post
      I'm writing a book and i've got about 16,000 words just up to Jack Broughton in 1743.
      Thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        The last 40-50 years seems pretty accurate. Not sure about the periods before then
        Highly inaccurate. I read in an old newspaper upon his retirement, that Batlling Nelson had had over 1,000 fights. Boxrec has less than 100. George Dixon is recorded to have had 162 fights, but may have had more than 800.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/George_Dixon

Comment

--- Loved boxrec from day one and never had an infection, but I access them thru my library computers or iPhone.

Did get a couple of infections from this site that killed my computer 10 yrs ago, but I'm safe in my present setup. Moreover anyone can join the forum and ask questions or make suggestions on a set aside thread and get an adnistrative response, often from John Shepard himself, a very humble guy who's done more than any to create a new bible of boxing with statistical cross links to tap into the wealth of global boxing historians and other researchers.

As to John L, they had his jake kilrain bareknucks title bout listed as well of his consolidation of Queenbury titles.

Don't be moaners. If you have a legit suggestion apart from the whiny nutcases, you'll be heard and replied to

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

As to John L, they had his jake kilrain bareknucks title bout listed as well of his consolidation of Queenbury titles.
            If BoxRec has his bare knuckle fights posted I can't find them; is your post suggesting that they 'once did' ???

Comment

Like others here have said, boxrec is not accurate in many cases. If anyone actually investigates for example Ali Raymi's career, you'll find it's all a fraud lol.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Most of their issues are with overseas records, like Mexico, etc.
                I believe Ali Raymi's entire career was a made up farce with no bout being an actually licensed or real. It was all just made up bs on boxrec.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                  Looking up records of yesterday’s fighters, BoxRec is invaluable.

But, in the past, visitors to the site at times have had their computers/phones infected.
                  It’s not a https/http-site. Various anti-virus programs also warn the site ain’t safe.

Anyone having had troubles recently after dropping in on BoxRec?
                  Never, I will say I got a virus from this site. This was a long time ago though. 10 years back.

Comment

--- Ali Raymi career as legit as TUE 50-0, plus he knocks out all and died on his shield in a terrorist attack.

TUE ducked him like he ducked Manny.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                      If BoxRec has his bare knuckle fights posted I can't find them; is your post suggesting that they 'once did' ???
                      --- They had and may still have the Kilrain fight listed.

They've done magnificent in organizing a disorganized sport. Probably the next step is organizing bare knuck records, but again, many will claim unsubstantiated records for jimmy Wilde, Joe Jeannette, and the like. Nobody claims Kid Blackie records, so why is that you might ask?

Comment

Working...
                      X