No announcement yet.

This MMA fighter proves McGregor has a legit shot in his boxing match

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    If Conor is good enough to beat today's Mayweather then he should have been a pro boxer rather than a cage fighter. He would have made many times the money he made fighting in MMA. Conor has practiced boxing as part of his training since he was 12 and he is a good puncher so he does have a tiny chance to win if he gets real lucky. Mayweather has trained to be a boxer and nothing else since he was 6 years old. The best pro boxers have failed to beat him or even knock him down. Mayweather has a great chin, a great defense and of course a great offense. If all of these well proven champion boxers failed to beat Mayweather what chance does a hard punching cage fighter who practices boxing some in his training have to beat a boxing master under boxing rules? A damn small chance in my opinion. Almost no chance at all.
    The bold is incorrect.

For starters, most MMA fighters come from a background different from MMA. It is only recently that you are seeing young guys in their early 20s who are from a purely MMA background, and these guys often seem to amount to nothing but hype and fizzle so far.

McGregor apparently started with boxing. It is pretty evident in the way he fights, also. He does have evident boxing form, which is integrated into his style.

There are a couple of tell-tale boxing moves he often uses. Most obvious is his pivot-off-the-backfoot, counter-lead straight left. He won't be doing that against Mayweather; it works in MMA against over matched guys rushing in with reckless aggression. But it is evidence of boxing technique.

He has very good accuracy and legitimate power. On accuracy, this is something where, being able to land spinning back kicks to a moving opponent's head may actually be indicative of a similar type sense of accuracy; and here his MMA background could actually provide an edge.

Conor Anthony McGregor[12] was born on 14 July 1988 in Crumlin, Dublin, the son of Tony and Margaret McGregor.[1] He was raised in Crumlin and attended a Gaelscoil and Gaelcholáiste at both primary and at secondary level in Coláiste de hÍde in Tallaght, where he also developed his passion for sport playing association football. In his youth, he played football for Lourdes Celtic Football Club.[13] At the age of 12, McGregor also began boxing at Crumlin Boxing Club.[14][15]

In 2006, McGregor moved with his family to Lucan, Dublin, attending Gaelcholáiste Coláiste Cois Life. Following that, he commenced a plumbing apprenticeship.[16] While in Lucan, he met future UFC fighter Tom Egan and they soon started training mixed martial arts (MMA) together.[17]

Comment

I understand wood dont what about this all.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        The only reason some people are thinking McGregor has a chance is because of age and inactivity. 41 is old for a fighter and 2 years without a fight is a long time even if the fighter was in their 20s. There's no question Mayweather will have lost something, the question is how much has he lost.
        At least a small percentage of people on here can read and understand. Exactly this.

Originally posted by B Phontain View Post
        Almost Floyd patterson vs radematcher 2 lol. And radematcher was an Olympic gold medalist, still got destroyed. Pros is different
        Yeah, that sort of thing exactly.

Deontay Wilder won a bronze medal with less than 15 fights going in, and most of those less than 15 fights were made up of victories at the US national level.

There's no reason to think McGregor wouldn't have a good shot to win an Olympic gold medal. (Say the Olympics were 6 weeks away rather than the Floyd fight, and he was offered a bunch of money if he managed to win gold.) That is, in a perfect hypothetical situation, there's no reason McGregor couldn't be a contender to win a gold medal in amateur boxing. Yeah it's a big accomplishment, but wouldn't really be unprecedented.

There's also Spinx-Holmes, funny enough.

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
          stop trying to sell this crap!
          He's hoping to get a check from TMT.

Comment

If I was a mod, I'd have to give a hard thought on whether to ban myself for this idiotic thread.

Little Nog is an interesting athletic case; which isn't really that reagent to this ****.

This fight is a complete faarce.

I'll still stream it.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              If Conor is good enough to beat today's Mayweather then he should have been a pro boxer rather than a cage fighter. He would have made many times the money he made fighting in MMA..
              I've saying this same thing also.

If McGregor is a good boxer, he should have been in boxing a long time ago.
              If he is very good in boxing, he would have worked himself up the rankings.

But he knows he isnt a good boxer against pro boxers. So just make some noise and try to bait Mayweather into a money-grab fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, twin brother of the much more successful and famous Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

They both became revered in MMA from the start as high-level BJJ/ground fighters, standup being in no way their bread and butter.

In the course of their MMA training, they made multiple trips to Cuba to train with the Cuban boxing team.

This lead to Nogueira winning a gold medal at the 2006 South American Championships at Superheavyweight, and a silver medal at the 2007 Pan American championships, losing in the final to the Cuban.

The case of Nogueira demonstrates, among other things, the difference between pro and amateur.

A high-level MMA fighter is not the equivalent to an amateur athlete (the exception being athletes like the Cubans, who are effectively pros).

Access to all of the tools of a pro athlete alone inevitably raises a fighter's potential substantially.

Also, people keep saying that McGregor is trying to cram years of training into a few months.

The truth is, McGregor has been boxing since he was 12. He's 29.

He's from Dublin, a boxing city.

Boxing is his base, though he became a pro MMA fighter at age 18.

Being trained in boxing isn't the same as having fights, let alone professional fights.

McGregor is still a considerable underdog.

However, he is in his prime--Floyd is old and retired--and there is grounds to believe he is already above the level of a lot of amateurs.

My initial reaction to this fight was it's stupid and McGregor has no chance; I'm somewhat more apathetic about it now; but I do think the above is valid, and includes aspects being overlooked by many so-called experts.
                So two decades of top boxers not being able to land on Floyd, but McG will in his debut fight. Lol

Comment

i'll just leave this here

Comment

Conor isn't going to learn the Cuban style of boxing though. He's gonna be throwing big swings, have bad defense, keep his hands low. Everything that Cuban boxing isn't.

Comment

Mcgregor doesn't stand a change..

Pacquiao couldn't beat Mayweather...what you think can Conor do?

Comment

Working...
                      X