No announcement yet.

Jimmy Wilde

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Wilde

Don't really get to read much of old boxers from the lower of weights but stumbled across Jimmy Wilde in an old book of mine. How good was he? his W-L record seems pretty impressive (W-133 101 by Ko,L-4,D-2 according to the book im reading) is this due to lack of quality opposition in the lower weights or was he that good?

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
    Don't really get to read much of old boxers from the lower of weights but stumbled across Jimmy Wilde in an old book of mine. How good was he? his W-L record seems pretty impressive (W-133 101 by Ko,L-4,D-2 according to the book im reading) is this due to lack of quality opposition in the lower weights or was he that good?
    Ive always heard good things about him, but have never seen actual footage to make my own mind up. He did face some solid fighters in his career, but again Im going by what I was told and not what I actually saw.

Comment

Can you imagine what Wilde would have done to bar brawlers of his day? Make that bar brawlers of any day. I believe his record was pretty well earned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Can you imagine what Wilde would have done to bar brawlers of his day? Make that bar brawlers of any day. I believe his record was pretty well earned.
        Perfect guy to bring with you to an alley fight.

Comment

Especially if you want to get some bets down. Nobody thinks that runt can win anything. Just be sure and give him a wool cap to conceal the cauliflowers of his trade.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Especially if you want to get some bets down. Nobody thinks that runt can win anything. Just be sure and give him a wool cap to conceal the cauliflowers of his trade.
            Sounds like my 70 year old uncle. One of the oldtimers with that weird old man strength

Comment

Looking a bit deeper there is loads of newspaper write ups of him back in the day.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive....rycounts=false

Comment

Like many old timers, he learned how to fight in the mines, he was knocking out men literally twice his size.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                  Like many old timers, he learned how to fight in the mines, he was knocking out men literally twice his size.
                  Harder environments definitely make harder people. In my opinion, any fighter who scored over a hundred KOs was a bad mofo. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                    Harder environments definitely make harder people. In my opinion, any fighter who scored over a hundred KOs was a bad mofo. Simple as that.
                    Not everyone, Zelenoff is 151-1 with 146 KOs

Comment

Working...
                    X