Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Did Canelo Do Enough For ‘Money’ Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Did Canelo Do Enough For ‘Money’ Fight?

by David P. Greisman - Canelo Alvarez knew he had won the fight long before it was over, when there were still four rounds remaining, when any moment of those 12 minutes could have seen him suffering a cut, an injury or a dramatic knockout loss.

But his fight with Austin Trout was being contested under the rules of open scoring.

Alvarez knew he was in the lead after the first four rounds.

He knew he was even farther ahead after eight.

He knew he could hurt Trout, given that he had floored him with a single right hand in the seventh.

And Alvarez had not often been hit in return, nor had he ever been hurt.

It was not at all a dominant performance, not even close to the victories he had scored in recent years over smaller opponents or faded foes.

Alvarez would actually be credited with hitting Trout less often than Trout had hit him. CompuBox saw Alvarez landing just 124 of 431 punches — about 10 punches per round out of only 36 thrown. (His recent average, meanwhile, had been 24 of 52.) In terms of power punches, he landed just 96 in total, or 8 per round for every 19 thrown, a far cry from his usual 17 of 32.

Trout’s statistics showed him to be busier but not much better: While he landed 30 more punches on the night, that meant just two and a half more landed shots per round. Trout was 154 of 769 — about 13 punches per round out of 64 thrown, or about one punch hitting its target for every five sent out. As for power punches, Trout went 95 of 353, or 8 of 29 per round.

The fight was close enough that journalists watching the bout from ringside and from the comfort of their own homes had scores ranging from Trout winning nine rounds to Alvarez winning eight. [Click Here To Read More]

I still don't see the hype.... Average power, average footwork, subpar defense....low activity.

Comment

Could be a good fight. I wouldn't buy it and they would definitely overhype it lol but I guess they should make it, Just imagine the annoying remarks on social media between unedcated "fans" saying it is two ATG's who would never lose to anyone or something lol

Comment

so stupid... the ginger is an easy money fight for floyd.... I dunno why floyd would duck this fight

Comment

The only weakness I saw in the Cinnabomber is his tendency to gas out in the later rounds. He stood there at times dodging punches most likely he was catching his breath.

Still a good prospect though, Floyd still ducks him being that he isn't a smaller weight div fighter moving to WW.

Floyd preys on the up and comers with his sell point gimmick, "their young and hungry" but really they aren't in Floyd's league.

Comment

mayweather gives this guy a boxing lesson and walks off with $100 million dollars. fights at cowboys stadium

Comment

The easy answer? YES!!! Why? Because if he and Trout can put everything on the line in facing each other why shouldn't the person ranked #1 at 154lbs be held to the same standard? If you can justify going to 154 to fight Cotto for a belt you cannot excuse fighting the unified champ now. Folks will discredit this kid no matter who he wins because of who his next potential opponent may be. Most guys Trout's size aren't as agile as he is, I do believe he managed to outland because of the jab and his reach advantage. Take that away and I don't think Trout outlands him. I still think Canelo isn't even at his prime yet but if he's doing this now I can imagine what he'll become if dedicated to mixing his power with improving his boxing fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by flint View Post
                mayweather gives this guy a boxing lesson and walks off with $100 million dollars. fights at cowboys stadium
                Yes we know he also walks on water, turns water to wine and makes it rain for 40 days..you've been saying the same thing for two days now.

Comment

No he did not!! In fact he didn't honestly win against Trout!! Floyd could take the easy, big money fight, but Canelo needs to earn it. Im ok with the business aspect of the Nelo show, and to be honest he does have the potential to be good fighter, but i hate to see these circus acts. Trout was never going to win, (even though he did!!) without a knock out and if he ever had the potential to k.o Canelo he wouldn't have got the fight!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jayallday9 View Post
                    No he did not!! In fact he didn't honestly win against Trout!! Floyd could take the easy, big money fight, but Canelo needs to earn it. Im ok with the business aspect of the Nelo show, and to be honest he does have the potential to be good fighter, but i hate to see these circus acts. Trout was never going to win, (even though he did!!) without a knock out and if he ever had the potential to k.o Canelo he wouldn't have got the fight!!
                    I think he earned it. Canelo won the fight against the best guy at 154 not named Floyd Mayweather (in the eyes of most, at least)

What does he have to do to earn the Floyd shot, that Ortiz and Guerrero did? Beat Berto?

Comment

Working...
                    X