No announcement yet.

Vermont mayor believes his Syrian refugee plan cost him re-election

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont mayor believes his Syrian refugee plan cost him re-election

RUTLAND, Vt. (AP) — A mayor who was handily defeated in his bid for a sixth two-year term said Wednesday that he believes his loss was due to his support for a plan to bring refugees from Syria and Iraq to the economically depressed Vermont city.

Rutland Mayor Christopher Louras lost Tuesday's four-way race to City Councilor David Allaire, who had campaigned on a platform of healing a community divided by the mayor's refugee plan.

While acknowledging that a number of local issues played a role in the race, Louras said he felt his support for refugee resettlement ultimately cost him re-election.

"Though I wanted to think this was not a referendum on refugee resettlement, I continue to believe, as I've articulated, Rutland is a microcosm of the national conversation on immigration and refugees, and ultimately it was not an election on the issues but an election based on emotions," Louras said.

According to unofficial returns, Allaire claimed 52 percent of the vote. Also in the race were downtown advocate Michael Coppinger and resident Kam Johnston. The candidates do not run under a party affiliation.

Last spring, Louras announced a plan to bring up to 100 refugees annually from Syria and Iraq to the city of about 16,500 residents. The plan split the community, with many residents eager to greet the newcomers but with others citing concerns the refugees could be security threats or economic burdens.

So far, two families, both with young children, have arrived. It's unclear given the changes in the immigration and refugee programs by President Donald Trump's administration how many more will arrive.

Allaire had criticized the way Louras rolled out the program, announcing it last April without getting input from the public and city officials. When he announced his candidacy, Allaire said the issue was not with the city taking in refugees but with the secrecy of the program.

Source, full story:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayor-bel...184723560.html

I feel for refugees, but bringing Muslims into America right now is a very unpopular idea.

Comment

**** the rapefugees.

Comment

I have been to Vermont. We used to be able to pick-up the Rutland local TV station from Montreal. They used to have this hokie farming TV show. It's the second-whitest state in the Union (95% white)...second only to Maine. It's basically all rural...lots of farms and cows everywhere. I think life there for a Syrian/Iraqi refugee would be not be the least bit welcoming or comfortable. I'm not surprised the Mayor lost the election.

Comment

Working...
        X