New Boxer: Strained Wrist

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boxer: Strained Wrist

Evening from Rio, guys.

Took up boxing three weeks ago. I wear wraps – which the trainer checks before we start – 14 oz. Title gloves and, so far, we've stuck to pad work. No heavy bags or anything like that.

Everything was going smoothly until about 10 days ago when, after a particularly heavy training session, I felt a sharp pain in my right wrist. I admittedly got carried away and was hitting the pads like there was no tomorrow which I suspect caused the injury.

Since then, I've regularly iced the area and taken anti-inflammatory pills (trainer's recommendation) but the tenderness/pain is still there. For example, I can't do push-ups at all.

Hitting the pads with my right hand feels fine – we even continued to train normally until last Friday – but as the wrist hasn't improved, we've agreed to focus on cardio/shadow boxing until it fully heals.

Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone, if it's normal … etc. Punching full-force so early on in training instead of focusing on form was probably an amateur mistake which I'll definitely learn from!

Any tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

All the best from Brazil,

- Frank

Maybe you threw a punch from a bad angle and it just strained it? Happened to me a few times. It could take a little while to get to 100%.

Comment

When I started I would put alot of tape around the very bottom of my hand and wrist to keep it straight so I would not strain it

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
        Evening from Rio, guys.

Took up boxing three weeks ago. I wear wraps – which the trainer checks before we start – 14 oz. Title gloves and, so far, we've stuck to pad work. No heavy bags or anything like that.

Everything was going smoothly until about 10 days ago when, after a particularly heavy training session, I felt a sharp pain in my right wrist. I admittedly got carried away and was hitting the pads like there was no tomorrow which I suspect caused the injury.

Since then, I've regularly iced the area and taken anti-inflammatory pills (trainer's recommendation) but the tenderness/pain is still there. For example, I can't do push-ups at all.

Hitting the pads with my right hand feels fine – we even continued to train normally until last Friday – but as the wrist hasn't improved, we've agreed to focus on cardio/shadow boxing until it fully heals.

Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone, if it's normal … etc. Punching full-force so early on in training instead of focusing on form was probably an amateur mistake which I'll definitely learn from!

- Frank
        I had a lot of problems with my hands (and wrist a bit) with certain gloves. Since switching to Rival I've had 0 problems with either.

Before I would cut a piece of k tape in half and apply each half to the wrist. There are videos on youtube. It provides some nice support without cutting off circulation.

I've never heard of that type of pain from the pads, you sure it didn't happen on a heavy bag?

Comment

Not unusual for a new boxer to have some hand and wrist problems. Give the pads/punching a break till the pain subsides then ease back into it. Your hands, wrists, elbows and shoulder joints will need to be conditioned over time to take the impact of punching.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
            I had a lot of problems with my hands (and wrist a bit) with certain gloves. Since switching to Rival I've had 0 problems with either.

Before I would cut a piece of k tape in half and apply each half to the wrist. There are videos on youtube. It provides some nice support without cutting off circulation.

I've never heard of that type of pain from the pads, you sure it didn't happen on a heavy bag?
            Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
            tcbender: Truly appreciate the helpful tips, man.

i) I've been wearing a used pair of the cheapest Title gloves on the market - although they probably weren't the issue, I've just switched to the best local brand ('América') which should give me better protection.

ii) Wrapping my wrists sounds like the best prevention strategy. I'll look up some Youtube videos and do this from now on.

iii) Injury definitely happened on pads as I haven't trained on a heavy bag yet. Trainer brings the pads slightly forward when I hit, so I imagine the combination of poor form, hitting too hard and the pad being 'thrown' at me probably caused the injury.

UPDATE: Resting and icing it (religiously twice a day) seems to be doing the trick. Hoping to return to action in 7-10 days.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
              Not unusual for a new boxer to have some hand and wrist problems. Give the pads/punching a break till the pain subsides then ease back into it. Your hands, wrists, elbows and shoulder joints will need to be conditioned over time to take the impact of punching.
              Thanks for the feedback, Eastbound! I assumed this might be the case but wanted to make sure that it's a relatively normal problem/injury for new boxers. Feel more relaxed about it now. Will be giving the pads a rest for the next 7-10 days and focus on fitness/shadow boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
                Evening from Rio, guys.

- Frank

Sounds to me like you either have a lazy trainer or a trainer that just don't know any better.....Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 08-16-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

How is wrapping your wrist with wraps going to help you at all with your wrist pain. Wraps are straight out about the small bones in the palm or back side of your hand, the bones that support your knuckles. You just gotta keep those wrists straight, man. It's as easy as that. And if you do not keep 'em straight than you are going to be dealing with some horrible pain.....…….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    How is wrapping your wrist with wraps going to help you at all with your wrist pain. Wraps are straight out about the small bones in the palm or back side of your hand, the bones that support your knuckles. You just gotta keep those wrists straight, man. It's as easy as that. And if you do not keep 'em straight than you are going to be dealing with some horrible pain.....…….Rockin'
                    You're actually learning to deal with pain, I'd hope, already...…….Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 08-16-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X