Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Michael spinks do vs Joe Louis??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Michael spinks do vs Joe Louis??

This question just kinda popped into my head..

I think it's a fascinating matchup considering louis' struggles with billy conn... I think spinks is better than conn..

Conn came close to beating Louis, do you think spinks could have finished the job?

Why or why not?

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

I think it's a fascinating matchup considering louis' struggles with billy conn... I think spinks is better than conn..

Conn came close to beating Louis, do you think spinks could have finished the job?

Why or why not?
    Slinks didn't have Conn's speed. But his awkwardness would give Joe trouble in spots much the way it did Holmes. I think Louis still wins by late round stoppage. Be was a more accurate and better punched than Larry both upstairs and down. Entertaining matchup though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

Why or why not?
      I kind of like the scenerio you LITERALLY describe: Conn struggling mightaly with Louis and then...In walks Spinks, tuxedo, shades, puts them down puts on the gloves and tells Conn to stop taking care of his light work and let him finish the job.

Seriously... The interesting precedent we have is Spinks and Tyson but that does not tell us much. Both Louis and Spinks are master tacticians, both guys are well rounded. Spinks could certainly threaten Louis's chin as it goes without saying Louis is a threat to Spink's chin.

Cohh was a smart fighter also, I think a fight with Spinks would go in a similar fashion actually. But to understand why this does not necessarily give the edge to Spinks lets look at David Haye and Quantum theory:

Probability is the cornerstone of one's fate... Haye is the best example of this because his whole approach to fighting can be summed up as needing an opportunity to explode a certain amount of his bombs on the opponent. In a fight if he has the right amount of chances he will connect on some of those bombs, and if "some" of those bombs is enough, there is a great chance he will KO his opponent.

What this has to do Louis is that Louis was a much more capable fighter with many more gifts than Haye for example...BUT at the end of the day, as we saw with Conn, given the right amount of chances, Louis will be succesful. Its up to Louis to make those opportunities throughout the course of a fight. Sure Louis may jab well, and he could hit you either hand...But against a great technician like Conn, or Spinks, Louis' win has to come by stalking and getting key opportunities to throw his power shots.

It took him a while to do this to Conn... It would take him a while to catch Spinks in all probability...but he would. and how would Spinks hold up? probably like Conn. Could Spinks avoid it? Well...Conn probably could have...

And thats the way it would roll to me. By comparison? If Spinks, or Conn fought Haye, I doubt Haye would get much of any opportunity to unload on either of them. Maybe a few. But ambush fighters limit their chances a lot because they are so far away when they are not in range punching.

Comment

Spinks is nothing like Conn. Billy could move on you and away and Spinks did not have Conn's elusiveness.
        Mike preferred to short step and drop right hands. Also Holmes was probably 37 years old when those fights took place. A prime Holmes beats Spinks and Conn but Conn would be a pain in the butt to deal with.
        Fans today have no idea just how good Conn & Tunney were.
        Those guys could box in the modern style and were smart as hell.
        Conn had zero amateur bouts and lost 6 of his first 15. He then lost 6 of his next 61!!! Stopped 3 times in his career, twice by Joe Louis and once by a "huge meal"!

Tunney lost once in 67 bouts, to Greb who he fought 4 times and two no decisions drawing once and beating him twice! The fighting Marine also administer a beating on Greb that was never seen prior.

Both men could be accomplished in any era and would rule this current era easily.

Ray

Comment

Spinks wasn't really a mover. He gets KO'd by Louis in 8

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Spinks is nothing like Conn. Billy could move on you and away and Spinks did not have Conn's elusiveness.
            Mike preferred to short step and drop right hands. Also Holmes was probably 37 years old when those fights took place. A prime Holmes beats Spinks and Conn but Conn would be a pain in the butt to deal with.
            Fans today have no idea just how good Conn & Tunney were.
            Those guys could box in the modern style and were smart as hell.
            Conn had zero amateur bouts and lost 6 of his first 15. He then lost 6 of his next 61!!! Stopped 3 times in his career, twice by Joe Louis and once by a "huge meal"!

Tunney lost once in 67 bouts, to Greb who he fought 4 times and two no decisions drawing once and beating him twice! The fighting Marine also administer a beating on Greb that was never seen prior.

Both men could be accomplished in any era and would rule this current era easily.

Ray
            What is it about the water in Pittsburgh? so many technically accomplished guys over the years...Grebb, Burley and Conn, and more recently Michael Moore and Spadafora (a trajedy). Edit: that is to name a few! as there are plenty more.

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports_h...128mchugh4.asp

Great boxing city with some real good fighting men.
            Last edited by billeau2; 03-10-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Not in the same league. He only beat one good heavyweight and that was a 36 year old Holmes.

Comment

Lasts about 30 seconds if Spinks comes in scared like he did against Tyson.

Comment

But longer if he's awkward and elusive, like against Holmes. I say Louis would be more aggressive and either win on points or maybe get a late stoppage. In a rematch, Louis by TKO by about Round 8.
                  Last edited by Anthony342; 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Spinks? Are you nuts?

Comment

Working...
                    X