No announcement yet.

Right Handed but Left Footed - Help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Handed but Left Footed - Help?

My stronger hand is my right but my stronger foot is my left. My hands feel like I should box orthodox but my feet feel more comfortable in the southpaw stance with my stronger left foot at the back.

No matter which stance I box in, I am never fully comfortable because of it. I usually box in the orthodox stance so I can have a strong back hand, so does anyone know how I can almost train my right foot to become my strongest? I'm talking in terms of balance and coordination, not only strength. Some routines would be great... unless it is impossible.

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
    My stronger hand is my right but my stronger foot is my left. My hands feel like I should box orthodox but my feet feel more comfortable in the southpaw stance with my stronger left foot at the back.

No matter which stance I box in, I am never fully comfortable because of it. I usually box in the orthodox stance so I can have a strong back hand, so does anyone know how I can almost train my right foot to become my strongest? I'm talking in terms of balance and coordination, not only strength. Some routines would be great... unless it is impossible.
    Do kick-ups with a rugby ball.

Comment

my friend has the same "issue".
      i personally think you should go southpaw, and here are the reasons:
      1. people say southpaw fighters are more advantageous (i kindly disagree, its simply a matter of experience)
      2. natural fluid footwork in my opinion, is much more important than power punches. with the right footwork, i feel powerful in both hands. if ur feet are in the right place at the right time, u will be able to deliver power.

edit: i guess i didnt really answer you.
      but if u were to change to southpaw, dont need to train anything i suppose? just keep boxing and itll come naturally.
      but if u really wanted to, id guess tossing medicine balls or hitting baseball or throwing things with ur left arm would help. lol
      Last edited by nivek535; 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Just keep shadowboxing until you feel more comfortable in the orthodox stance. Since you're just starting off you have to build up a ton of muscle memory anyways so might as well get comfortable with shadow boxing orthodox.

Comment

I'm the same way, I think one big advantage that comes with this is that you can develop a deadly left hook with a lot of leverage/torque.

Comment

I agree with Nivek, you'll be able to throw really solid lead hooks and really be able to plant the jabs since your dominant hand is at the front. Plus it's easier to get used to throwing from a different stance than it is to have your feet in an uncomfortable stance (from just hitting the bag southpaw, maybe I'm wrong).

The best thing to do though, is just pick one stance and stick with it that way you'll at least get used to it.

Comment

Same issue was with myself, I used to play Football (Europe) / Soccer, and my strong foot is the left, but my strong hand is the right. you have to develop your technique, and as original said you will have a very powerful left hook. Mine is the left hook to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                my friend has the same "issue".
                i personally think you should go southpaw, and here are the reasons:
                1. people say southpaw fighters are more advantageous (i kindly disagree, its simply a matter of experience)
                2. natural fluid footwork in my opinion, is much more important than power punches. with the right footwork, i feel powerful in both hands. if ur feet are in the right place at the right time, u will be able to deliver power.

edit: i guess i didnt really answer you.
                but if u were to change to southpaw, dont need to train anything i suppose? just keep boxing and itll come naturally.
                but if u really wanted to, id guess tossing medicine balls or hitting baseball or throwing things with ur left arm would help. lol
                All great points. Thank you. But have you got any tips to improve my right leg if I were to continue fighting in the orthodox stance?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  I'm the same way, I think one big advantage that comes with this is that you can develop a deadly left hook with a lot of leverage/torque.
                  Yeah, I can feel that. What did you do to improve your right leg though?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    it's funny

Comment

Working...
                    X