How do you measure your reach?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you measure your reach?

Hey guys,

I was wondering how are you suppose to measure a boxer's reach. I understand it's from the knuckle to the armpit, but what part of the armpit? I'm sort of confused..

Thanks

Usually you spread your arms out straight side to side, and you measure fingertip to fingertip. Measuring from knuckle to armpit would produce some odd results. You don't think Ali had an 83" arm do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
      Usually you spread your arms out straight side to side, and you measure fingertip to fingertip. Measuring from knuckle to armpit would produce some odd results. You don't think Ali had an 83" arm do you?
      Ha,ha no I never did. I always thought fingertip to fingertip would vary because people's reaches would be misconstrued depending on the size of their chest or back. Maybe I'll just ask the guys at my local gym how they do it. Thanks for answering.

Comment

War bonds lighters World war two lighters

Does anyone know if these used to be some kind of war posters or
        something? http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/lighters_c.htm
        Were these sayings on these lighters actually used in war times?

Comment

This kinda confused me too, because Jim Lampley use to say fist to armpit. I got a measuring tape out and got differences of up to 7 inches depending on what part of armpit I measured up to and it was way off what fighters of my height and weight would have! I still do not get what Lampley meant.

Comment

armpit to end of the fist.

Comment

Originally posted by robjr View Post
              armpit to end of the fist.
              this is it.... exactly where your shoulder releases to the limb.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
                this is it.... exactly where your shoulder releases to the limb.
                Pay your debt

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225431

Comment

Originally posted by six85 View Post
                  Ha,ha no I never did. I always thought fingertip to fingertip would vary because people's reaches would be misconstrued depending on the size of their chest or back. Maybe I'll just ask the guys at my local gym how they do it. Thanks for answering.
                  Yup. Wide span. Finger tip to finger tip; plus arm-pit to knuckle and arm-pit to finger tip...do the math and then there you have it. Plus, taking the gloves into consideration.

When people talk about reach, it's not precise or exact. Measuring and remeasuring gives a better gauge or reading.

Comment

Some measure it from the top and some measure it from the bottom. I personally measure from the top, just make sure the ruler is pressed directly against your pubic bone.

Comment

Working...
                    X