No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: A Page Turn Light Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: A Page Turn Light Heavyweight

By Cliff Rold - This Saturday, in one of the final HBO boxing broadcasts (10 PM EST), 27-year old WBA light heavyweight titlist Dmitry Bivol (14-0, 11 KO) will defend his title against 36-year old former WBC and lineal champion Jean Pascal (33-5-1, 20 KO). Most expect Bivol to win. Pascal is over eight years removed from a career best win over Chad Dawson. Despite a modest two fight win streak, his last three significant fights were all defeats at the hands of Eleider Alvarez and twice by stoppage to Sergey Kovalev...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by Cliff
    The era was left without completion. If Stevenson wins in December, it could recast his reign and increase wonder about how he would have done against Kovalev or Ward. Those answers aren’t retrievable now in their most relevant form and that’s too bad.
    Nobody wanted it with 'Superman' Adonis Stevenson. I get the feeling that Bivol, Beterbiev, and Alvarez will continue to pretend that Adonis is not THE MAN. Chad Dawson, Nathan Cleverly, Jean Pascal, Bernard Hopkins, Sergay Kovalev, have all fallen but the KING still sits on the throne!

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      Nobody wanted it with 'Superman' Adonis Stevenson. I get the feeling that Bivol, Beterbiev, and Alvarez will continue to pretend that Adonis is not THE MAN. Chad Dawson, Nathan Cleverly, Jean Pascal, Bernard Hopkins, Sergay Kovalev, have all fallen but the KING still sits on the throne!

Superman has a tough fight coming up, how do you see it going ? looking forward to it, I'm sitting 4th row in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Yeah. The king who was stripped of his ring title for being a ****ing ***** and never fighting anyone. I hope to god you were kidding lol.

That's how you stay on the throne..never ****ing fight anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by mapleleaf27 View Post
          Superman has a tough fight coming up, how do you see it going ? looking forward to it, I'm sitting 4th row in the stands.
          I wish I was attending, Adonis always turns it up in Quebec city, my favorite moment there was when 'Superman' KO Tony Bellew. Great seats btw you got.

I see Adonis stopping Gvozdyk, Stevenson will press early and chip away Olek, good exchanges in the first five until Gzozdyk gets tired of getting hit with Adonis cross to the body and retreats to the ropes and folds.

Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
          Yeah. The king who was stripped of his ring title for being a ****ing ***** and never fighting anyone. I hope to god you were kidding lol.

That's how you stay on the throne..never ****ing fight anyone.
          The Ringmagazine has lost all credibility, No other champion at 175 has more top ten wins than Adonis! Only one man was left standing when the smoke cleared.

Comment

Stevenson has ruined this whole division by not finding a way to get in a ring with Kovalev or Ward. Let's just be real.

This isn't a real division until he is dethroned or stripped.

Comment

This almost exact same excitement and anticipation transfixed and hypnotised the boxing press and fans alike not too long ago when a similar situation was standing at attention at Middleweight.

So much talent, so much depth, so many mouth-watering match-ups, the imagination went wild.

Then what happened was Canelo and Golden Boy. And Golovkin took the bait as big name moved up from 154 to cash in on the at the time, the divisions hottest.
              And yet still we are waiting. Two PED tests, A contender charged with racketeering, and no matter which way you butter it, Golovkin deserved the belts.
              He wouldn't have gone off on PR campaigns, chances are he would have most likely fought a contender/journeyman - with a date (I'd say to capture the WBO belt because they're not so demanding and ruthless when it comes to stripping unified champs.

Comment

175 is in a state of flux at the moment. Bivol needs some names on his record, but the talent is there. Alvarez is still new to the belt, so we need to see if he more than a one fight wonder. Stevenson and Beterbiev are way too inactive for world champs and have been for some time - Stevenson being the guiltier party by virtue of the longer reign. Kovalev's definitely on the slide and Pascal has seen better days. There are still some decent proven fighters and talented prospects among the contenders, so it would be great to see a bit more activity with the belts.

Comment

Working...
                X