Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs

More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs, survey finds

LOS ANGELES — A growing number of Californians are contemplating moving from the state — and not due to wildfires or earthquakes but the sky-high cost of living, according to a survey released Wednesday.

The online survey, conducted last month by Edelman Intelligence, found that 53 percent of Californians surveyed are considering fleeing, representing a jump over the 49 percent polled a year ago. The desire to exit the nation’s most populous state was highest among millennials, the survey noted.

“California is a great, great place if you’re young and ambitious and daddy’s paying the rent,” said Joel Kotkin, a presidential fellow in Urban Futures at Chapman University in Orange, California. “It’s similar to New York with the same dynamic, and maybe more of it.”

Kotkin, who has researched California demographic and economic trends for decades, said he’s astounded when he asks his Chapman students whether they think they’ll be in the state in 10 years. “I would say the majority would say ‘no,’ — and many grew up in California,” he said.

“There’s no doubt that California’s economy, for all of its strengths when it comes to innovation and creating these industries that people want to be part of, is struggling with high costs,” said Aaron Terrazas, a senior economist with online real estate site Zillow. “Costs have gotten way ahead of incomes in California, and that’s making a lot of people think about whether it’s worth the hurdles.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/grow...te-survey.html

My friend's brother owned a house five blocks from the beach in Long beach. I was a 400 thousand house. Anywhere else it would be considered a little wood shack smaller than a one bedroom apartment. Closer to the ocean, higher the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      My friend's brother owned a house five blocks from the beach in Long beach. I was a 400 thousand house. Anywhere else it would be considered a little wood shack smaller than a one bedroom apartment. Closer to the ocean, higher the cost.
      Yes but why?

Is it inherrent that the cost must be higher when closer to the ocean?

Houston has no zoning laws and is very lenient on laws when it comes to construction and housing and has a very low housing cost overall. Do the number of laws not effect the market?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        Yes but why?

Houston has no zoning laws and is very lenient on laws when it comes to construction and housing and has a very low housing cost overall. Do the number of laws not effect the market?
        There is a higher demand. Same is true of San Francisco, Seattle, as well as in South Carolina, Florida and other coastal states. In Arizona 300 thousand might buy you a two story house in a gated community. I have heard of many people leaving those areas because of the high cost of living.

Comment

Yes but why?

Yes in CA it’s all about Location... near the beach some places ago as high as 16 mil.

I’m trying to buy a place in Santa Clarita 35 miles from downtown and it’s costing 630k.

The zoning laws do affect the market. I built a bathroom in my grandmothers house and it cost 10k just to get approval to lay the concrete it cost 30k in total with materials and labor and I got a discount.

The housing in CA is messed up due to rich people from all over moving there pricing out the local middle class which forces them to neighboring states. In Portland I was told not to move there.

Comment

Cost of rent/housing sucks out here. I live alone and doing okay, but it'll take me years to save up for a down payment to own a house.

I live in San Diego which is nicer and cheaper than San Francisco and a lot of parts of LA, but still way above the national average.

I only live about 8 miles from the nearest beach, if I actually lived on the beach area, I'd paying close to double in rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              Cost of rent/housing sucks out here. I live alone and doing okay, but it'll take me years to save up for a down payment to own a house.

I live in San Diego which is nicer and cheaper than San Francisco and a lot of parts of LA, but still way above the national average.

I only live about 8 miles from the nearest beach, if I actually lived on the beach area, I'd paying close to double in rent.
              Move to Gary Indiana and for six Hondo a month you can live on the shores of Lake Michigan and just lie to yourself that it’s the pacific.

Comment

Lol and the saga continues....

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
                  Move to Gary Indiana and for six Hondo a month you can live on the shores of Lake Michigan and just lie to yourself that it’s the pacific.
                  Haha. Sounds like a good option.

Comment

Yes but why?

This right here.

That's a huge factor here.

It's a nightmare to build new homes in CA, especially SF due to massive regulations and zoning laws.

It's hard to build at all, and when you can manage to build despite all the red tape, the costs are higher so the sales prices have to reflect that.

So while you have demand, the supply is only increasing at a crawling pace and with added expenses.

The Law of Supply and Demand states that prices stay high under those conditions.

Meanwhile other areas that grow and thus see increased demand, they allow for the supply to grow quicker, easier, and cheaper, and thus prices arent rising like they are in CA.

It all boils down to the Law of Supply and Demand.

Sadly, too many lifer politicians have no concept of the basic laws of private sector Economics.

Comment

Working...
                    X