Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think Callum Smith is a very good fighter, but promoters need to stop..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Callum Smith is a very good fighter, but promoters need to stop..

Putting in young and sort of growing fighters in with guys that are just there to survive with no intentions of mounting an offense. I've always held this opinion. I know cutting the ring off is an important tool to have being a boxer, but you're basically ruining a fighters appeal putting him in there with guys just trying to survive.
    Ask any boxer, trying to find a guy thats a veteran and hit him often and cleanly if he doesn't want to engage is extremely hard,no matter how good you are. If you had to ask me what my least favorite style of boxing is..I'd have to say it's guy that stick and move with zero punching power.

Here's a few more reasons why I think it's a bad idea.

1.) I think it does the opposite of helping a fighter grow, and hinders them. When a guy is ready to start fighting solid competition, he should be put in there with guys that come to win, no matter how limited they may be talent wise.

2.) If you're a promoter you're there to rise your fighters profile, not destroy it. Having him lay a stinker as an up and coming fighter can screw up peoples perception of him. I thought Lara beat Canelo but didn't care that he was robbed, and that guy was a prime guy that was coming to win.

3.) Despite what you may hear, prized fighting/ fighting on television is about entertainment first and foremost. I have a great appreciation for the technical aspect of the sport but watching a Willie Monroe Jr type of guy just prance around the ring ain't it.

4.) A lot of those guys don't take punishment, and if your fighter actually isn't the good. Guys that can move and sometimes will just fight to survive can turn it on and end up actually beating a prospect. If i'm a promoter with an up and coming prospect, I avoid the guys like a Chileemba, Postol, Willie Monroe, Austin Trout, etc.

5.) This is my personal reason. Just cause a guy is sticking and moving doesn't mean he's a great boxer, I hate that notion. Boxing is a multi facet game. A boxer should be able to fight going forward, backwards, standing still, on the move, center line and off angles.
Working...
X