Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Confirms Rematches With Fury, Ortiz Are Signed, Sealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the way Hearn managed negotiations turned off the wilder camp. I think wilder wants to prove that he may not make as much money, but he’ll fight the top fighters while Joshua is left with b and c list fighters to contend with.

Comment

• Originally posted by WOKnWOH View Post
      If I'm not mistaken, the WBA at the time had put in the order approx. 1mo. Prior to the one week you mentioned and that was reported to be in lieu of Hearn asking for more time to try and get the Wilder fight done.
      Yes the IBF is not as pliable when it comes to ordering their mandatories, but we've seen recently they will bend a little depending on the fighters marketability(Canelo and Deryvechenko). And as far as Joshua vs Wilder, it would have been for undisputed, which has trumped mandatories throughout boxings history since the advent of the numerous "governing bodies".
      Which leads me to want to add something that I see being very much overlooked within the debate over Joshua vs Wilder.

Joshuas quest for undisputed and the authenticity of his numerous attempts in trying to get the Wilder fight ASAP rings true to me, because those who are long time fans of the sport know that he is on a limited clock to get all those titles in his possession. Sooner or later, He will either be stripped of a title without any say so, or he will be placed in a situation where he may have little choice but to vacate a title in order to make the correct decision for his career. Wilder doesnt have pressure/time constraints hanging over him. And its one of many sad greedy truths of this sport we love and hate in the same breath.
      Wilder does though because just like Joshua has to beat one man to become undisputed, so does wilder.

Let’s face it Joshua beat Martin and Parker for belts, those were cupcakes wilder would have won as well. The fact is Joshua is the cash cow, he got the belts dropped on his doorstep and wilder couldn’t get those fights. However this has been the collision course for bragging rights for some while

Comment

• Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        People still saying wilder is ducking the best fighters lmfao

his last 5 fights

Ortiz (TBRB #3)
        Fury (TBRB #5)
        Breazele (TBRB #11)
        Ortiz (TBRB #4)
        Fury (TBRB #2)

Ducking the difficult fights.
        He's not ducking the best fighters, he's ducking ONE specific fighter.

You can sugarcoat it as much as you want, but it doesn't change the fact.

Is he scared of Joshua? Of course not.

But he has been stalling the fight for quite some time now, making bogus offers via email, rejecting career highest purses more than once, contradicting himself with this 'one name, one champion' BS.

And no, it's not Wilder who's behind all this. It's Haymon and Finkel.

But still, the blame gets put on Wilder.

It's great that he's fighting Ortiz & Fury again. But that one SPECIFIC fight we're talking about he's stalling.

Comment

AJ isn't Canelo though. And the IBF stripped G for not fighting Deryvechenko while waiting for Canelo.

But that's just one way AJ could get stripped of the IBF. Another would be if the IBF and WBO call their mandatories at the same time. That's more rare, but it has happened (and don't be surprised to see it once Arum gets into the WBO's ear)
          I agree Joshua is not Alvarez, but he is pretty damn near him at close second with a huge gap between him and the third. And technically, GGG situation had more to do with Deryvenchenko had been mandatory for nearly a year while GGG tried to finalize the Alvarez fight, then the PED suspension caused for another delay. The IBF actually even granted an exception to GGG for the Martirosyan fight. Im just guessing here, but I believe the IBF wanted the mandatory fight following Martirosyan assuming that the Alvarez rematch would be much later not anticipating such a short suspension from the NSAC.

I dont doubt anything for a sec. Like they say, its boxing anything can happen. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
            He's not ducking the best fighters, he's ducking ONE specific fighter.

You can sugarcoat it as much as you want, but it doesn't change the fact.

Is he scared of Joshua? Of course not.

But he has been stalling the fight for quite some time now, making bogus offers via email, rejecting career highest purses more than once, contradicting himself with this 'one name, one champion' BS.

And no, it's not Wilder who's behind all this. It's Haymon and Finkel.

But still, the blame gets put on Wilder.

It's great that he's fighting Ortiz & Fury again. But that one SPECIFIC fight we're talking about he's stalling.
            I think there's many different reasons we aren't seeing the fight. Money is one, network is another, and Wilder just being petty from last year Josh saying "take what we offer or we'll freeze you out" probably has a bigger part than we care to admit.

Originally posted by WOKnWOH View Post
            I agree Joshua is not Alvarez, but he is pretty damn near him at close second with a huge gap between him and the third. And technically, GGG situation had more to do with Deryvenchenko had been mandatory for nearly a year while GGG tried to finalize the Alvarez fight, then the PED suspension caused for another delay. The IBF actually even granted an exception to GGG for the Martirosyan fight. Im just guessing here, but I believe the IBF wanted the mandatory fight following Martirosyan assuming that the Alvarez rematch would be much later not anticipating such a short suspension from the NSAC.

I dont doubt anything for a sec. Like they say, its boxing anything can happen. LOL
            They didn't make an exception for the Martirosyan fight. They made the exception for Canelo, and when Canelo got suspended they said Deryvenchenko had to get his shot, or else G would be stripped. It was after the 6 month suspension, they wanted G to fight Deryvenchenko on the May 5th date, and then he could fight Canelo in September.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheUptownKid View Post
              Wilder does though because just like Joshua has to beat one man to become undisputed, so does wilder.

Let’s face it Joshua beat Martin and Parker for belts, those were cupcakes wilder would have won as well. The fact is Joshua is the cash cow, he got the belts dropped on his doorstep and wilder couldn’t get those fights. However this has been the collision course for bragging rights for some while
              Actually, Wilder does not have any chance of being stripped or having to vacate against his wishes because he only has 1 sanctioning body to answer to. And to date, the WBC has been very "accommodating" to Wilders career to put it nicely.

I dont disagree with some of the negative views regarding talent in Martin, but to say Joshua got belts dropped on his doorstep is a quite an overstatement IMO. Lets not forget that he had to beat Klitchsko who IMO looked better than I remember him during his "prime" for the vacant WBA and IBO titles before he fought Parker(who IMO is too tentative but has good potential).
              And beyond level of competition, Joshua pursued those championship belts all within 21 professional fights. And I never recall hearing any news of Wilder proactively seeking out the same during the time. And he had been the WBC champ for over a year before Joshua got his 1st belt so technically, those belts could have been Wilders but he never made the attempt. Correct me if Im wrong and he did actually try to negotiate the same fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by WOKnWOH View Post
                Actually, Wilder does not have any chance of being stripped or having to vacate against his wishes because he only has 1 sanctioning body to answer to. And to date, the WBC has been very "accommodating" to Wilders career to put it nicely.

I dont disagree with some of the negative views regarding talent in Martin, but to say Joshua got belts dropped on his doorstep is a quite an overstatement IMO. Lets not forget that he had to beat Klitchsko who IMO looked better than I remember him during his "prime" for the vacant WBA and IBO titles before he fought Parker(who IMO is too tentative but has good potential).
                And beyond level of competition, Joshua pursued those championship belts all within 21 professional fights. And I never recall hearing any news of Wilder proactively seeking out the same during the time. And he had been the WBC champ for over a year before Joshua got his 1st belt so technically, those belts could have been Wilders but he never made the attempt. Correct me if Im wrong and he did actually try to negotiate the same fights.
                The Wilder/Martin fight could have happened...Both were signed to PBC, but Wilder had Povetkin as a mandatory and when Wilder mentioned going after martin to unify, fans went ape **** saying he was trying to duck his mandatory. Had Povetkin not pissed hot, this would be a moot point though

Parker/Wilder had a tentative thing in place. Parker was front row at Wilder/Washington also. Fight never happened though

https://www.******.com/494083-deonta...t-face-parker/

(its Ring's website. They block it on here for some reason)

Comment

I think there's many different reasons we aren't seeing the fight. Money is one, network is another, and Wilder just being petty from last year Josh saying "take what we offer or we'll freeze you out" probably has a bigger part than we care to admit.
                  Absolutely.

But the one constant in all of this is Wilder.

Call it what you want: ducking, stalling, getting his pride the best of him, it's still Wilder's fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
                    Absolutely.

But the one constant in all of this is Wilder.

Call it what you want: ducking, stalling, getting his pride the best of him, it's still Wilder's fault.
                    Like I said before, Wilder/Fury II is the fight I've been wanting to see all year, so I don't mind THAT much. Lost interest in Wilder/AJ before the Povetkin fight (not saying it wont come back when the fight is announced though. I'm not past the point of no return like Mayweather/Pacquao when I had zero interest by the time it happened)

Comment

They didn't make an exception for the Martirosyan fight. They made the exception for Canelo, and when Canelo got suspended they said Deryvenchenko had to get his shot, or else G would be stripped. It was after the 6 month suspension, they wanted G to fight Deryvenchenko on the May 5th date, and then he could fight Canelo in September.
                      I totally agree, and would say it is more to do with networks. PBC is responsible for providing content to both Showtime and Fox and the content needs to warrant good viewerships. In the bigger scheme of things, PBC fighters are the ones in "lockdown"(the mainstream popular ones) and cannot go as they please, which begs the question are PBC fighters really in control of their own careers?
                      Actually, they did make an exception for GGG vs Martirosyan they just didnt sanction it so if GGG were to lose, he would still have the IBF belt to defend against Deryvenchenko afterwards not considering that the Alvarez rematch could take place in sept(the last part again is IMO)

Comment

Working...
                      X