Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REVEALED: Barry Hearn Admits That Chris Eubank Saved Matchroom Sport! (VIDEO PROOF)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVEALED: Barry Hearn Admits That Chris Eubank Saved Matchroom Sport! (VIDEO PROOF)

For those not up to speed on the Eubank vs Matchroom situation, Eubank recently stated that he was directly responsible for Matchroom's survival as a company and, while fighters have held similar beliefs in the past about their former promoters, in this video recorded 3 years ago Barry Hearn actually admits it.

What makes it significant is that in recent months Eddie Hearn began to downplay the impact that Eubank had upon the survival of Matchroom Sport and, instead, he's implied that Eubank was merely just another fighter on their roster who didn't directly impact the continued survival of the company back in the early 90s by manoeuvring it on to an upward trajectory through his victory over Benn.

Barry Hearn, Founder of Matchroom Sport [Referring to Eubank vs Benn 1] : "Everything was on the line at the the NEC that night. 1990 was a very tough year for Matchroom Sport. That was the defining moment, not just for Eubank."

@ 13 min 15 sec

If Eubank lost to Benn that night, would Matchroom still exist today?

What makes it significant is that in recent months Eddie Hearn began to downplay the impact that Eubank had upon the survival of Matchroom Sport and, instead, he's implied that Eubank was merely just another fighter on their roster who didn't directly impact the continued survival of the company back in the early 90s by manoeuvring it on to an upward trajectory through his victory over Benn.
    I haven't gotten that impression at all. Have any examples?

I've gotten more of a disloyal stuck up type of impression from Eddie.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 01-06-2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Thank you. Someone who finally gets it. Eubank was the 90s. Matchroom boxing owe a lot to him. His son goes on about how "he wanted an appearance fee at my dad's birthday,,,boo hoo" but that was for a reason. They used him and tossed him aside.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
        Thank you. Someone who finally gets it. Eubank was the 90s. Matchroom boxing owe a lot to him. His son goes on about how "he wanted an appearance fee at my dad's birthday,,,boo hoo" but that was for a reason. They used him and tossed him aside.
        Eubank made a fortune himself from his relationship with Matchroom and Barry Hearn. He denies asking for a fee to attend that party, btw.

Comment

lol Eubank was matchroom in the 90s
          He made that company whether or Eddie admits this. Eddie cant even give a retort to that claim, he just says Matchroom needs to thank Steve Davis (a snooker champion) for their success, which is a totally different sport.
          #
          I think EUbank is right when he says without him there would be no matchroom

Comment

I think BOTH benefited hugely from The Matchroom deal - Eubank got exposure and $$$, Matchroom made $$$.

If I remember, there was no real PPV model during the 1990's in the UK, so Eubank Snr got huge exposure on UK terrestrial TV and held the WBO belt hostage.

I think Eubank Snr doesn't understand the modern PPV model (at all) and all the different stake-holders involved, he likes to come across articulate and insightful but (IMO) its just an act.

Eubank Sr's downfall was always his ego, his ego made him bankrupt twice, get a beating from guys like Carl Thompson and Calzaghe (he should have retired by then) and finally his ego kept him from fighting the very best in his division in the US (Toney et al).

Finally, his ego will likely prevent his son from having any real success of his own. IF (big if) Junior ever wins a World Title then Senior will just take all the credit anyway.

The whole Eubank set up is entertaining and fascinating, but I don't really think any of them have a clue what they are doing.

Comment

Some minutes ago:

"Renold Quinlan has confirmed the rumours that his fight with Chris Eubank Jr. is OFF.
              He stated that the fight - which was set to be on ITV Box Office PPV - has been cancelled after ITV withdrew their support to the Eubanks.
              Quinlan is furious with the Eubanks."

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                Some minutes ago:

"Renold Quinlan has confirmed the rumours that his fight with Chris Eubank Jr. is OFF.
                He stated that the fight - which was set to be on ITV Box Office PPV - has been cancelled after ITV withdrew their support to the Eubanks.
                Quinlan is furious with the Eubanks."
                Heard those rumors but IFL say it's false. Guess we'll find out for sure soon :

Comment

Explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X