Collapse
No announcement yet.

The top 15 GREATEST BOXERS OF ALL TIME

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali – Has to be right up there, could be below Robinson, or could be below Leonard, but I have him second.
    Rocky Marciano, - I think to retire undefeated in an era that was so hard, especially as a 5”10 Heavyweight was amazing, what a KO percentage – 87.75.
    Sugar ray Leonard - Some of you will think he should be higher, but I think I have him about right.
    Oscar De La Hoya – I think he has to be there, he has fought the best, and is one of the best. Goes in for a battle comes out usually unmarked having won. In his day could have beat all of these above him. I could have had him higher. In fact looking at it, he could be as high as number 3 really.

Comment

• dylan, dylan, dylan

Comment

• Originally posted by teamwork7 View Post
        Who are the best boxers of all time? I have compiled a list of boxer’s based on their boxing ability, what they achieved in the sport, and how they conducted themselves in and out of the ring. I have put why I rate them so highly also. It is so hard to because every time you think you have it right, you go down the list and pretty much every fighter in their prime – you think “ he could have beaten him” I have decided on this list, and that is that, and it is based on pound for pound credibility’s basically.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson – Had it all, could defend, could attack, and could do anything.
        2) Muhammad Ali – Has to be right up there, could be below Robinson, or could be below Leonard, but I have him second.
        3) Rocky Marciano, - I think to retire undefeated in an era that was so hard, especially as a 5”10 Heavyweight was amazing, what a KO percentage – 87.75.
        4) Sugar ray Leonard - Some of you will think he should be higher, but I think I have him about right.
        5) Oscar De La Hoya – I think he has to be there, he has fought the best, and is one of the best. Goes in for a battle comes out usually unmarked having won. In his day could have beat all of these above him. I could have had him higher. In fact looking at it, he could be as high as number 3 really.
        6) Roy Jones Jnr – His record speaks for itself, multiple weight champions, still going today.
        7) Floyd Mayweather – People will argue this one to the hilt. But I say this – he has beat De la Hoya, Hatton, Judah etc, he could have fought in any era, a top class fighter.
        8) Jack Dempsey – Probably one of the most popular fighters of all, again KO’s were amazing.
        9) Joe Frazier – beat Ali, says it all really, lost to only Foreman & Ali, and that speaks for itself.
        10) Joe Louis – Held the heavy weight title for 11 years, before retiring after being KO by Rocky Marciano, which happened a lot to everyone else so.
        11) Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe if can beat him, Joe calzaghe ranked alongside him. Hopkins because of his stature within the fighting world, and his ability to move up the weights and win world titles. But I think that if Calzaghe beats him then he can be here – has been champion for over 10 years. His actual ability is up there with Ali, his hand speed, tactical boxing brain and ability to take a punch. I believe he could have fought in any era, pitty he could not have fought with Leonard.
        12) Evander Holyfield – A brilliant boxer, who had a brilliant career, wins over the likes of Tyson, Holmes & Foreman cement his position here amongst the greats.
        13) Mike Tyson – To win the world heavy weight crown at 20 is one hell of an achievement, but outside influences destroyed what could have been the best of all time.
        14) Jake La Motta – Some amongst us probably think he should not be here and those below that are mentioned should be, but I put him here for pure reputation inside and outside the boxing ring.
        15) Jack Johnson – The first black heavyweight, in an era that was hard, very hard and known fro brutality inside the ring as well as outside on the streets. A top class boxer, with a good heart.

Honorable mentions for their ability and what they bought to the sport.

Tommy Hearn’s, Marvin Haggler, Jimmy Wilde, Ricky Hatton (had to I’m British), George Foreman. Lennox Lewis, Henry Armstrong, Larry Holmes, Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan, Henry Cooper.

mayweather, RJJ, tyson, la motta, hopkins, marciano or de la hoya do not belong in a top 15 of all time list.....dempsey probably doesnt either

top two guys are ok placements, evander in there isnt such an outrageous move, i think he could slot into 15 maybe

but yeah awful list mate sorry

ohhh man oscar de la hoya at no.5 i think thats what killed me

Comment

• my top 15 of all time

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
          2. Muhammad Ali
          3. Henry Armstrong
          4. Joe Louis
          5. Roberto Duran
          6. Willie Pep
          7. Sugar Ray Leonard
          8. Eder Jofre
          9. Pernell Whittaker
          10. Harry Greb
          11. Carlos Monzon
          12. Archie Moore
          13. Ezzard Charles
          14. Marvin Hagler
          15. Evander Holyfield

Comment

• marciano deffinitly belongs in the top 15

Comment

• here is my list-

1. Sugar Ray Robinson- The greatest, no-one can compare to him
              2. Muhammad Ali- The greatest heavyweight, would have beaten any other heavyweight in any era, bar maybe Louis.
              3. Willie Pep- The greatest defensive fighter of all time
              4. Henry Armstrong- Only man to hold titles in 3 weight divisions ever,
              defeated 15 champions in an 18 year career.
              5. Joe Louis- Great fighter, in my opinion the only heavyweight who can come close to Ali.
              6. Benny Leonard- the smartest fighter who ever lived.
              7. Harry Greb - Great fighter, fought 299 bouts, more than corbett, j jeffries, gene tunney, louis, marciano and ali combined, only man to beat gene tunney, fought heavyweights when he was a middleweight.
              8. Gene Tunney- Beat Greats such as dempsey and greb, only losing once and had the brains to quit while he was on top.
              9. Jack Johnson - fought and knocked out some of the greatest champions, including Jim Jeffries, Stanley Ketchel, Philadelphia Jack O'Brian, Joe Jeanette, Sam Langford, the list goes on....
              10. Sugar Ray Leonard - I put him in here reluctantly, but he beat the greats of the modern era and was simply the best in his time, beating Benitez, Hearns, Duran and Hagler.

I couldn't complete the list as after 10 there are just too many great fighters. I compiled this list quite quickly and actually changed my mind halfway through, and I was reluctant to put in fighters of the modern era as I don't think they can be compared to people who fought 150 + bouts, sometimes fighting 20 + rounds. Here is a list of fighters I considered putting in from numbers 11-15 but couldn't decide:

Roberto Duran
              Pernell Whitaker
              Jimmy Wilde
              Julio Cesar Chavez
              Sam Langford
              Joe Gans
              Jack Dempsey
              Stanley Ketchel

Comment

• Problably the worst list I have seen, try another one when you learn some more boxing please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post
                  Wheres, Ricardo Lopez, Herny Armstrong, Willie Pep, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Benny Leonard, Jimmy Wilde etc ?? im sorry but i think is a bad list.
                  very bad...

Comment

• Originally posted by milmascaras View Post
                    teamwork 7 must be pinoy. putting pacquiao ahead of roberto duran, ricardo lopez and julio cesar chavez jr.? hell, putting pacquiao in this short list is also laughable. pacquiao doesn't belong in the top 100 all-time lists anyways. maybe 150 and beyond but definitely not top 100!
                    Fast forward to 12 years, not putting GrandPac to the Top 100 list is hilarious...

Comment

• I defy anyone to find footage of a fighter better than Lomachenko.

I dunno about making lists, but a general idea would look something like this:

Greb
                      Duran
                      Lomachenko
                      Pep
                      Jofre
                      Robinson
                      Walker
                      Canzoneri
                      Armstrong
                      SRL
                      Whitaker
                      Conn
                      Loughran
                      McLarnin
                      Leonard
                      Harada
                      Ross
                      Williams, Ike

You could easily substitute a few names or move fighters a couple of places and still be right.

Comment

Working...
                      X