Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Bob Arum right about Showtime boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after the ggg signing and the wilder talks I've since canceled my $11.99 a month showtime subscription service and signed up to the $9.99 DAZN service.

I have a feeling with all these new fighters to dazn, they will up there prices for the new people who try to just pay, say the one month of May, to watch the canelo and jacobs fight and then cancel. They will keep everyone else grandfathered in but will raise it up during the month of May.

Comment

i didnt realize that wilder had officially signed with DAZN

last i knew he was meeting with them.....hmmm..news to me

see...the way i look at this situation reminds me of how my favorite football team, the new england patriots, handle free agency with their players whos contracts have expired.....the patriots rarely use the franchise tag....they let their guys go explore free agency and meet with teams around the league(and the players appreciate this greatly...the coach has stated this)...they let them field offers from teams around the league and then they return to the patriots after that...the patriots will then make them their offer...what they feel is good market value to them and what the player is worth to them.....then the player has the choice whether or not to chase a bit more money somewhere else...or stick around with a winning program.....sometimes they choose the bigger offer and bolt...sometimes they realize that the patriots offer is reasonable and keeps them there

wilder may go meet with skipper....they may throw wilder a big number for an interim fight...they may offer to pay wilder 3x what hes worth to fight someone of the brezeale caliber....because they know theyll have 100 percent of the wilder/AJ fight and have the winner locked in

but what if haymon says "hey man i have a reasonable deal for you here....now you can go chase that money...but i have your best interest here...those guys will make you go over to the UK and fight on hearns terms when the fight will make more money in the US...i can get you that fight in time over here on your soil...i can get you 10 mil for the brezeale fight...well put it on ppv....and i promise you ill get you that fight on US soil or fury ASAP"

just because wilder is meeting with DAZN doesnt mean hes gone....he very well could be too though.....just nothing is guaranteed at this point

Comment

Eddie Hearn strongly alluded to this too. He's basically said they are running out of money. ESPN are going all in on Boxing and DAZN has silly money. Showtime has to throw silly figures to get big fights made, I don't think they're prepared to do that. They're lucky they previously only had to compete with HBO who weren't really all in with Boxing (their budget year after year for a long time proves that, it was getting lower every year).

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
          Eddie Hearn strongly alluded to this too. He's basically said they are running out of money. ESPN are going all in on Boxing and DAZN has silly money. Showtime has to throw silly figures to get big fights made, I don't think they're prepared to do that. They're lucky they previously only had to compete with HBO who weren't really all in with Boxing (their budget year after year for a long time proves that, it was getting lower every year).
          of course hearn and arum are going to say this....haymon and cbs/showtime are their main competition.....hearn really has no idea what kind of money they have lol...espinoza and haymon are both much smarter than hearn

everybody has to throw "silly figures" to get big fights....

arum really has like 2-3 big stars the US likes....i say 3 if you want to count fury....but its really 2....crawford and loma...lomas division doesnt dictate big purses/money

and crawford? he cant get big fights for him...so much that he has to dig up amir khan and pay him at least 5 million

showtime is so dead and desperate that the guy arum built into a big time star, manny pac, left him to go over to their side...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
            Possibly, but don't think FOX goes anywhere. The PBC numbers are on par with what the UFC was doing late in their contract and they aren't paying nearly as much. But maybe FOX may want exclusive rights to PBC shows after their deal is done?

I don't know, but as streaming becomes more of the norm, live sports is super valuable. Boxing is getting more love than ever before with these network deals partly due to that.
            Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
            I think boxing will come down to something that aint boxing. The key here is where the main sports rights go. From a UK perspective Sky Sports arent going to last long if DAZN muscle in and take Premier League rights. What happens to ESPN if they start losing rights to major sports. This is unchartered territories were headed into
            Agree with both your points. Next year n a half will show....

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
              and crawford? he cant get big fights for him...so much that he has to dig up amir khan and pay him at least 5 million

says a lot more about the fighter who did want their biggest payday who ducked, than Arum, Crawford and co. And for as sh.it as Amir is, hes never not been in a fun fight, thrown in the fact that hes fought damn near everyone at 40, 47 and gingerweight

showtime is so dead and desperate that the guy arum built into a big time star, manny pac, left him to go over to their side...LOL
              It was Pac's time to bounce. Neither is hurting for money, especially Arum. And PBC signed Pac, not sho.

Comment

I think what is going on with boxing right now is bad. We got DAZN throwing unsustainable money around. Other networks will at times be forced to compete in an attempt to keep their own fighters with them.

Short term boxers get paid more. Long term networks will lose money and will be forced to either cut back or walk away from the sport. Boxing is just not popular enough to bring in that type of cash flow. It is getting very top heavy and will crash.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
                  It was Pac's time to bounce. Neither is hurting for money, especially Arum. And PBC signed Pac, not sho.
                  whos been showing pacs fights? its the same thing...haymon has a contract with showtime

was it pacs time to bounce? why? i mean...hes still fighting...still making money

pbc is going to end up feeding pac to thurman or spence....why couldnt bob to that to crawford?

Comment

Les Moonves leaving CBS/Showtime was the death nail to Showtime Championship Boxing.

Comment

Showtime still showing boxing?
                      No point in subscribing to that network anymore. Espinoza got bent over and for once he's not gonna enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X