Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Sergey Kovalev is Pretty Much Done at 35!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward exposed Kovalev and now he's open game for any decent fighter in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Kov deserves credit for some tough wins. Going to England for short money and winning. Imo he won the 1st Ward fight. I think he just needed to humble himself by accepting jackon’s criticism and working to improve in those areas.

He can fight again but I think Ward established the way you beat kov so maybe get a farewell fight and call it quits.
      I'm not sure Kovalev has lost because Alvarez applied some lessons learned by Ward. Sure he's deserved victory, as always, when it comes through KO, so credit to him. I think Krusher has lost because, as many times already happened to him, since the end of round 5, he tired-off (despite being ahead on all the judges scorecards, at that point), left his guard down and got punished. Kov's issue has been for longtime pretty much the same, STAMINA, and his age is not on his side in this. I don't know, maybe he should have worked more on endurance, breath and accept the possibility that he can't always KO opponents in 4 rounds, so prepare himself for going to distance. Easy to tell, I know, especially at 35... As you say, maybe it's time for him to give-up. Sad but likely.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 round fight View Post
        Ward exposed Kovalev and now he's open game for any decent fighter in the division.
        And vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Kov deserves credit for some tough wins. Going to England for short money and winning. Imo he won the 1st Ward fight. I think he just needed to humble himself by accepting jackon’s criticism and working to improve in those areas.

He can fight again but I think Ward established the way you beat kov so maybe get a farewell fight and call it quits.

He may as well move up to cruiserweight and try to get one of those belts that Usyk is gonna vacate soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
            As I said last night, it's over for Kovalev, I have a hard time seeing him getting in a ring again. Ward took his aura of invincibility away and Alvarez snatched his soul last night. I'm curious to see how Kovalev will be remembered and how differently his career might have gone if the first Ward fight was scored in his favor
            It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing this morning when I was walking my dogs. Kovalev is a bully of sorts and when he faces true adversity he folds. Had he be given the nod in the first Ward fight, he probably would have approached the 2nd differently (both mentally and tactically). In the 2nd fight, he was winning rounds but fighting not to lose, with Ward coming after him; you could feel the inevitability of his demise in the 2nd fight.

Even before the fight last night, Krusher looked old and unmotivated. When he could tell Alvarez wasn't going away and was taking his power, his confidence (what little he had) seeped out and he began to gas. His gassing in fights isn't as much a physical thing as it is a mental one. He had no problem beating on B-Hop for 12 rounds but he gassed in the Chilemba fight, gassed in the 2 Ward fights and gassed last night...all fights that he faced some semblance of adversity.

Comment

Done at 35? Well he lasted longer than Jones himself than.

Comment

same as you., if people say roy was past prime 'and not the same' around mid 30s then the same can apply to kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                  Father time is undefeated! Only the very highly skilled (Hopkins, Klitschko, Mayweather, Pacquiao) fighters can do much after 35!
                  and foreman ha

Comment

what time is it? its overreaction time!

Kovalev had the fight in the bag and was in control then got dropped by a right hand from hell.

He's not done.. it happens. he'll fight again.

Jones is the LAST mofo in boxing who should be giving anybody retirement advice.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
                      It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing this morning when I was walking my dogs. Kovalev is a bully of sorts and when he faces true adversity he folds. Had he be given the nod in the first Ward fight, he probably would have approached the 2nd differently (both mentally and tactically). In the 2nd fight, he was winning rounds but fighting not to lose, with Ward coming after him; you could feel the inevitability of his demise in the 2nd fight.

Even before the fight last night, Krusher looked old and unmotivated. When he could tell Alvarez wasn't going away and was taking his power, his confidence (what little he had) seeped out and he began to gas. His gassing in fights isn't as much a physical thing as it is a mental one. He had no problem beating on B-Hop for 12 rounds but he gassed in the Chilemba fight, gassed in the 2 Ward fights and gassed last night...all fights that he faced some semblance of adversity.
                      or in other words he turned into jermain taylor

Comment

Working...
                      X