Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone help me understand this about the Canelo-Cotto fight..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
    It's a really good fight, it just won't do as good as if it were a PPV on its own day, that's what I'm trying to say.
    I agree with that much. I'm not entirely sure they would have went ahead with May 2nd...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
      Like pac should have took 40 million bc it was a career high offer?

You don't know what the numbers were. You don't know what the numbers Floyd might have been offering.
      Pac was being low balled by Floyd. I don't think that compares. Cotto was the one 'in charge' in these negotiations. I don't know the exact numbers but $13mil just to sign on the dotted line keeps coming to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
        Big L, we might be having a break through... Are you telling me that if they agreed to a certain dollar amount just to sign the contract that THAT would change if they changed dates and venues?

For example, let's say Cotto signed to 15mil. Let's forget all PPV variables and everything. Are you telling me that if they switch dates and venues he's no longer guaranteed that 15-mil that he was contractually guaranteed?

Because IF that's the case... Then we might be onto something here. I would see your point in that case.

I don't know the numbers. What I'm saying is this: if they fought may 2 it probably would have been in Vegas. That's where they'd get the biggest site fee and have the largest gate. May 2 is the biggest ppv weekend in boxing apparently so you got your biggest ppv sales. Now move the fight to New York. Smaller gate. Less ppv numbers (your following pac/May). And n.y has very high taxes. so that's quiet a difference.

I think Canelo just needed to wait and see but I think the date meant more to him than fighting cotto did. yes you can say cotto lost a career high payday but Canelo also went from a huge payday to fighting on regular HBO.
        Last edited by Big_L; 02-24-2015, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
          I don't know the numbers. What I'm saying is this: if they fought may 2 it probably would have been in Vegas. That's where they'd get the biggest site fee and have the largest gate. May 2 is the biggest ppv weekend in boxing apparently so you got your biggest ppv sales. Now move the fight to New York. Smaller gate. Less ppv numbers (your following pac/May). And you pay taxes in n.y unlike Vegas. so that's quiet a difference.

I think Canelo just needed to wait and see but I think the date meant more to him than fighting cotto did. yes you can say cotto lost a career high payday but Canelo also went from a huge payday to fighting on regular HBO.
          Fair enough. It just seemed like Canelo was trying to make the fight, and Cotto wasn't. I get the waiting game and all that but the articles I read on here painted a picture of Cotto stalling hard-core.

Comment

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of these negotiations...

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
              Fair enough. It just seemed like Canelo was trying to make the fight, and Cotto wasn't. I get the waiting game and all that but the articles I read on here painted a picture of Cotto stalling hard-core.
              i don't disagree with that. I just don't think they thought pac may was gonna happen so they rushed to get a fight signed. If they woulda waited I think we would probably be getting Canelo Cotto.

Comment

Canelo did what he had to do. He has big plans for himself this year, to fight 4 times and he wants to follow through with it. He also understandably sees himself as much, if not more of a draw than Cotto, with his numbers in the May, Angulo, and Lara fights to back that up. How people forget so fast how Cotto was also a diva vs Martinez and almost didn't fight him because Martinez wanted to come out second because he was the champion, while Cotto got everything else he wanted.

Comment

I think Cotto is afraid of Canelo and won't ever fight him. Why he even started talking with Oscar about fighting Canelo I don't know. He would probably make well over twice as much fighting Canelo as he would fighting Bradley, Bundrage or Rios but still he would not agree to fight Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                  X