No announcement yet.

Lomachenko exemplifies the sweet science, not Floyd or Rigo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    Punchers chance is not something his management will risk his future paydays over, when there are plenty of good fights for Walters with people who will stand and bang with him like Mares.

Rigo for his part has been legitimately trying to get the very deep talent pool of his division to fight him, to no avail, so its really not fair to even consider talking about him needing to move up. Santa Cruz already moved up to avoid him, Frampton is avoiding him like the plague, so is Quigg, Mares ran up a division. He wants to unify, and rightfully so.

I am sure he will move up eventually, but right now his problem is everyone avoiding him, and I don't think people would stop just because he moved up a division.

Loma vs Rigo would be an ATG fight though that needs to happen. That is #1 fight on my wishlist.

The two men who have the claim to be the greatest amateur technicians of all time, who have as skill set that is on a different level to everyone else in the world, Floyd included, facing off against each other. It would be awesome. Time is slipping away though. Rigo is on the tail end of his prime, if not already slipping out of it.
    I give Walters more than a punchers chance against Rigo tbh. But yeah I'm worried about Walter's attitude regarding the Lomachenko and Rigondeaux fights, it seems he doesn't want to fight them. That's the thing about boxing now a days, one defeat derails your career and it shouldn't be like that! Lomachenko already has a defeat and his career is going strong, Walters should take these challenges. Btw unless Walters signs with Al Haymon fights with Russell, Mares, Santa Cruz, Cuellar will be difficult to make. Walters will probably outgrow the division pretty soon too imo.

At Super Bantamweight you have Frampton, Quigg and Nonito Donaire rematch; the rest of the division is basically made up of up and comers (who will need even longer to challenge Rigo). Santa Cruz is a straight b*tch and moved up to duck Rigo, I can't wait for someone to give this kid the beating of his life. However, I don't understand when people say Mares moved up to "duck" Rigo. When Mares was at Super Bantamweight, Rigondeaux was barely becoming relevant. He was only at Super Bantamweight the same year Rigo won his world title, the big fight being talked about during that time was Mares vs Donaire; Rigo didn't come into the equation until after Mares moved up. Hey, maybe Mares did move up to duck Rigo, but I just don't see it because Mares was facing really dangerous opponents during that period. He fought Anselmo Moreno (who at that time was regarded as a p4p top 10 by many), then moved up to face Ponce de Leon (at the time top 3 Featherweight and a big puncher several thought he was crazy for moving up, especially since de Leon just beat Gonzalez who was probably the best featherweight at that time). I don't see why Mares would've been scared of Rigo when he was fighting some great opponents. I don't think Mares should've moved up so quickly though, but he had a goal to win titles at various weight classes (he said he wanted to go as high as 135 or 140), he just tried to do it too quickly. That doesn't sound like a man that was scared to challenge himself (obviously now his confidence is not there anymore), so I don't understand where people get that Mares moved up because of Rigondeaux.

I don't think Top Rank will do Rigo a favor and risk their fighters, so I agree that even if he moves up he probably won't get the fights. Loma will probably agree (as long as it is at 126 not a catchweight), but Bob Arum probably has hate for Rigo so he wouldn't allow it. Rigo is stuck in a extremely difficult position, I can't help but feel bad for the guy especially since he will be 35 soon.

But Loma vs Rigo would be a dream fight. Probably won't happen, I don't think Loma stays at 126 much longer, he will look for other challenges at higher weight divisions imo.

Comment

• its been the same story for years with all of OUR greats....

Comment

• Originally posted by hectari View Post
        Floyd at 130? Floyd today not so much.

Floyd barely throws punches and ties up and moves without throwing combos. HE rarely takes risks.
        Lomachenko utilizes defense responsibility while mounting his offense like Floyd does. He obviously watches Floyd closely and utilize the same veteran tricks. He showed this against Russell Jr. Where he will utilize his reach and pull clinch techniques to get his punches off through Russells guard but keep his self in safe distance and keep Russell off balance to not be able to hit him back.

Lomachenko studies Floyd. Floyd the only other fighter I see do it and he does it better but Lomachenko is close to that level.

I don't think Rigo going to be able to handle himself well against Loma if he don't figure out a way to strengthen his clinch and inside game.

Floyd at 130 was mounting his offense in the middle of incoming fire and not getting hit clean at all. That's when Floyd had good hands and was confident in his KO power. Floyd was like human water. But now Floyd is older he has a new savvy to his game where I believe he is the perfect balance of offense and defense. Lomachenko is blessed to be able to witness Floyd Mayweather and steal from him. It's ashame American boxers like Russell, Bruner or the like do not actually study Floyd and learn like the eastern European Loma does.
        Last edited by Brickyardigan; 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• I think if Rigo was in lomachenko weight class he would beat him

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxfan7819 View Post
            I think if Rigo was in lomachenko weight class he would beat him
            Nah if Nonito Donate was able to beat him in a clinch and other fighters have exposed his inside game to hit him, then I don't see Loma having a hard time exposing that glaring weakness.

This will come down to how patient both fighters fight. RIGO might get it off if he stays as patient as possible.

Comment

• i like all 3, but lomachenko is my favorite. the guy is not only stunning to watch move and defend but his offense is by far the most exciting to watch. hes actually on his front foot most of the time trying to set up punches rather then just look for counters

Comment

• Originally posted by blakey View Post
                i like all 3, but lomachenko is my favorite. the guy is not only stunning to watch move and defend but his offense is by far the most exciting to watch. hes actually on his front foot most of the time trying to set up punches rather then just look for counters
                No. You are wrong. Lomachenko is more on distance guaging and exposing it.
                Mayweather will easily defeat Lomachenko if they was in the same weight class.

Comment

• damn bruh,,,,way to get overwelemed ,,lomencheko is decent but hes no damn pernell whitiker

Comment

• Loma is also a rhythm fighter, when he does let his hands go he bounces in and out with combos, similar to Manny Pacquiao who is also a rhythm fighter. Loma just doesn't unload with full blast because like Roy Jones Jr said, he has hand issues and brittle hands, if he breaks his hands he could be out for a year.

Comment

• Added this video Lomachenko

Comment

Working...
                      X