No announcement yet.

Idea for a boxing film

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for a boxing film

I am pretty excited for the Hands of Stone movie ever since I knew De Niro was in it (ATG top 10 actor in my book) most of the boxing community is also eager to see this film, but I'm pretty surprised by the reaction of non fans. They are so quick to dismiss it as just another boxing film, I tried to explain to them that this is a legend but they dont care hahaha. But I understand this, most boxing movies are pretty much similar, people are tired of it.

So it got me thinking of a boxing film that I don't think has been done before. Instead of a biographical film of Duran, how about a film focusing on the rivalry of Duran and Leonard. The film could focus on their lives leading to their trilogy, and how it effects their personal life. I'm thinking the film would have equal focus of both Duran and Leonard. It would be a "two in one film" kind of like The Godfather Part II, where the film has two different plots focusing on each of the protagonist, but it both build up to their trilogy. The two plots parallels each other, both characters are alike yet vastly different. Sugar Ray's story could focus on the better side of the sport, the glory, the heroism. Yet the Duran tackles on the darker side of it, the violence, the greed etc. It's both Rocky and Raging Bull

I picked Duran-Leonard because this is my personal favorite rivalry in boxing history although this could work on other rivalries (Ali-Frazier, Leonard-Hagler, Barrera-Morales, Arguello-Pryor)

So what do you think? I'm not a writer or anything I'm just imagining haha Sorry for the poor English

Interesting idea, but would prob piss a lot of people off if done with real-life fighters. In your scenario, it would be difficult not to make Ray look like the "good" guy and Duran look like the "bad" guy and that would annoy a lot of people.

I think your idea would work best covering the Ali-Frazier rivalry, but would have to be handled right and not paint them as "good" or "bad" just highlight their contrasting personalities. I'm pretty sure any film based around those guys rivalry would do well at the box-office.

Comment

I am not sure if the dual plot leonard/duran thing is something I would like to see personally. One of the best boxing films ever made is with out a doubt Raging Bull. This focused entirely on jake lamotta with refences to his personal life and some references to his rival the great sugar ray robinson.

I have heard they have cast someone to play ken Buchan and also Usher to play ray leonard. The trouble with movies based on peoples lives is that there is only two hours to tell a story. Duran has lead such an interesting life and had such a long carreer that alot of his story will be cut out. Will we see his comebacks victories against moore and barkly I do not know. I really would like to see two movies one focusing on his early life and career and up to no mas and another showing his comebacks. If they could make 6 rocky movies they certainly could make two duran movies.

Comment

Or how about a boxing movie where a guy isn't the underdog the whole movie, but about a fictional fighter, starting as an unknown underdog, his rise to fame, fall, and comeback? Kind of like the first 3 Rocky movies.

Comment

Unless Duran speaks out on why he quit (vs Leonard 2)I have Zero interest in watching anything about him above 135lbs. Once he left the title behind he became a characture of himself. I think the age of the members here doesn't allow alot of them to know what Duran was all about at the beginning of his career and how he was developed. Most folks here know him from 147 up!
          Two different fighters!!! Without his experience he would have been beaten more often than he was because he was in for the money, nothing else!! Occasionally his pride would kick in but you need skills and they were gone! Ray

Comment

I like your Rocky I to 3 idea
            but consider durans carreer for a second it has alot of the elements of your storylines. First he rose by winning most of fights in panama won the title in contervesy by either punching or kneeing ken buchanan in the cajones in a fight he was leading anyway. Then slipped slightly by lossing to dejesus. Became dominate again and beat the worlds most popular fighter in ray leonard while being the underdog.
            Became the laughing stock of the whole planet in the no mas fasco. Slowly redeemed himself by beating davey moore and putting up a good fight against hagler. Just when you thought he was on the upswing along come hearns and knocks him out in horriffic fashion. He should be done by now right but no he declares hes coming back after a two year holiday and everone thinks he is dellisonable and is he? Maybe not because he beats the guy (barkly who slaughtered hearns) and wins his 4th title, wins a fifth minor leauge title), is the only man to win fights in 5 decades. Probly has the most nicknames in the sport
            rocky being one of them. I think the issue is how you get all this in one movie.

Comment

Enough about Duran! (sounds like heresy coming from me) How about another movie about Ali? At the risk of seeming like I just awoke from a coma, anyone heard of the movie (documentary) for which this trailer excist?

[vbtube]9TbiqLZ9xyA[/vbtube]

Comment

Working...
              X