No announcement yet.

Frank Mir receives two-year USADA suspension for banned substance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Mir receives two-year USADA suspension for banned substance

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will sit out two years for a violation of USADA policy.

The UFC announced Friday that Mir, who turns 38 next month, was suspended two years by USADA. Mir tested positive for a long-term metabolite of dehydrochloromethyltestosterone (DHCMT), following an in-competition test conducted after his knockout loss to Mark Hunt on March 20, 2016, in Brisbane, Australia.

The suspension is backdated to April 8, 2016, which means Mir will be eligible for reinstatement in just under a year.

USADA went into depth on its findings in a press release:

“DHCMT is a non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents and prohibited at all times under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, which has adopted the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List. The finding of a long-term DHCMT metabolite in Mir’s sample, which was identified through a new detection method by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Tokyo, Japan, led to Mir being provisionally suspended from competition on April 8, 2016.

“Upon learning of the positive results of the sample analyzed in Tokyo, USADA had all previously collected stored samples for Mir reanalyzed at the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah (SMRTL), which had also recently implemented methodology for the detection of newly identified long-term DHCMT metabolites. As a result of the additional analyses, SMRTL discovered that an out-of-competition sample Mir provided on February 5, 2016, which had previously been reported to USADA as negative for the presence of prohibited substances, was also positive for the same long-term DHCMT metabolite found in Mir’s in-competition sample.”

Mir (18-11), who has lost six of his past eight fights, has lobbied for release from his UFC contract several times since news of his test results broke, but has not been granted a release as of yet.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/21...nned-substance

Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM.

Oh sh^t at the retesting of the clean sample & it now being dirty. Mir musta been on some slick sh^t &/or have a higher PED IQ then advertised cuz he's been hyping the angle that why would it make sense for him to use in the small window he could've used this substance since it'd have provided lil benefit to him.

Should be interesting to hear him talk about it on his next podcast cuz he came super clean about the situation when he got in trouble for all this stuff initially. Although his podcast was new back then & he kinda took a oh gee wiz wut is peds angle to some degree & upon listening to his podcast more he's a pretty smart cat & him saying all the stuff previously got to sounding like that time when Floyd was like whats TRT replacement when his boy owned a bunch of TRT clinics.

And this just goes to show how high level PED bs is these days. I for one hope Mir comes 100% clean on the situation, whatever that might mean, cuz I'm dying for more guys, like Chael Sonnen when he got popped, to quit bsing about "idk whats going on....why me" when they get popped.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Oh sh^t at the retesting of the clean sample & it now being dirty. Mir musta been on some slick sh^t &/or have a higher PED IQ then advertised cuz he's been hyping the angle that why would it make sense for him to use in the small window he could've used this substance since it'd have provided lil benefit to him.

Should be interesting to hear him talk about it on his next podcast cuz he came super clean about the situation when he got in trouble for all this stuff initially. Although his podcast was new back then & he kinda took a oh gee wiz wut is peds angle to some degree & upon listening to his podcast more he's a pretty smart cat & him saying all the stuff previously got to sounding like that time when Floyd was like whats TRT replacement when his boy owned a bunch of TRT clinics.

And this just goes to show how high level PED bs is these days. I for one hope Mir comes 100% clean on the situation, whatever that might mean, cuz I'm dying for more guys, like Chael Sonnen when he got popped, to quit bsing about "idk whats going on....why me" when they get popped.
      Why did the UFC start doing USADA testing? Was there public pressure from to the fans to start testing? Was there legal pressure to start testing? Was it something they just decided to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Why did the UFC start doing USADA testing? Was there public pressure from to the fans to start testing? Was there legal pressure to start testing? Was it something they just decided to do?
        I believe there were multiple reasons, but primarily they wanted to get more mainstream + end the "PED'd up MMA guy" narrative a lot of fans & pundits had.

Its definitely helped them I feel (although there is a lot of silly sh^t if you've followed the Machida & BJ Penn situations among others) & its the industry leader in how things should be done if you are PED testing in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I believe there were multiple reasons, but primarily they wanted to get more mainstream + end the "PED'd up MMA guy" narrative a lot of fans & pundits had.

Its definitely helped them I feel (although there is a lot of silly sh^t if you've followed the Machida & BJ Penn situations among others) & its the industry leader in how things should be done if you are PED testing in sports.
          Has the reacton been "Holy shit there are a lot of guys doping" or "It's not as bad as we thought it would be"

Comment

This whole affair is more stickier that it looks at first sight.

There new detection methods for Turinabol, that supposedly detects previously unkown metabolites that last longer in the body. The guy that research and published this, was the guy in charge of the Russian doping program. He did so after replacing Turinabol with other roids as part of the PEDs ****tail they fed Russian athletes with, so the competiton would be caught, but not the Russians, that had already moved to mora advanced ****.

Apparently, now his research is being questioned by some experts, but WADA had accepted it like the gospel and they are sticking to their guns.

I can't put links because I'm too new, but you can google this if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              Has the reacton been "Holy shit there are a lot of guys doping" or "It's not as bad as we thought it would be"
              I think the only consensus take thus far (its only been going on 2 years) isn't so much about the amount of guys being as expected or more than expected its been more about the caliber of guys caught, but its also been about how silly some of the things are that has gotten high profile guys suspended.

Jon Jones is out cuz of a dick pill. Anderson Silva was supposedly out cuz of a dick pill. BJ Penn was out cuz he had too many ml's in an IV although he wasn't sure of any of the details he just guessed a too high amount from the sounds of it. Machida is out for admitted to using DHEA that he actually didn't pop for lol.

As far as the numbers I believe it'd have been around 5%+ of guys popped from the numbers of guys suspended last I seen a number (believe it was 50ish guys). Typically the UFC has about 550-650 guys under contract at any given time. Obviously guys are coming & going so there has probably been 800ish, 900ish guys (pulling that number completely out of my ass based on my POV of guys coming & going so could be on point or not so much) in the UFC over the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Choco View Post
                This whole affair is more stickier that it looks at first sight.

There new detection methods for Turinabol, that supposedly detects previously unkown metabolites that last longer in the body. The guy that research and published this, was the guy in charge of the Russian doping program. He did so after replacing Turinabol with other roids as part of the PEDs ****tail they fed Russian athletes with, so the competiton would be caught, but not the Russians, that had already moved to mora advanced ****.

Apparently, now his research is being questioned by some experts, but WADA had accepted it like the gospel and they are sticking to their guns.

I can't put links because I'm too new, but you can google this if you're interested.
                What's his name? I'll post the links for you

Comment

Mir is done for... who gives a ****

Comment

Yeah, Mir's one of my all-time favorites, but he needs to retire.

Comment

Working...
                    X