Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Capacity Crowd Saturday Validates Spence as Rare American Draw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing 15k fans is pretty good. Puts him in line with Crawford, Valdez, Ramirez and some other decent local draws. Guys like this should fight twice a year in their hometown until they "cross over" and can fill Vegas or NYC regularly.

Hopefully, guys like Crawford, Spence and Ramirez get top tier fights in their hometowns and then can transition to Vegas. Would love to see Spence/(porter v Garcia winner) in a big Texas arena.

Would love it if Tank can get the Maryland MGM popping regularly.

Comment

With some of the Vegas books calling this an Out bet, meaning you can't lay money on it , Spence needs 2 let this go 6 vs a B opponent...

Comment

... "Dallas’ sustainability as a boxing city is debatable, but Spence proved by selling out a 15,000-seat venue against an anonymous, overmatched opponent"...

... The Ford Center at The Star, Frisco is a big venue... Spence did good numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post
          I’m predicting he gets on all fours like a chihuahua
          On the serious tip.. Ocampo is bigger than spence and younger.. he's ready for a war, mexican style.. but his limited experience sets him up for failure.. IBF picks wierd unknown mandatories... did they even have a eliminator?

Comment

Originally posted by TinAgeOfBoxing View Post
            They sold out the Dallas Cowboys locker room whoopadee. Maybe Spence will wear one of the lineman's jock straps on his head when he makes his way to the ring.
            selling 15,000 tickets is VERY hard to do these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              15000 seats at $500-$50, depending on the breakdown of tickets, puts Spence's 1st hometown title defense well over $1m at the gate.

Las Vegas will be Las Vegas, but you really can't point to many fighters or fights that sell 15000 seats at $500-$50. Only ones I can confidently point to are Canelo and Anthony Joshua.

Terence Crawford is still selling his Omaha tickets for $150, Andre Ward would likely be at $400-$500 for ringside at Oracle Arena now but not sure if he'd be drawing 15000+ to the building, and Golovkin has built his base on being an adopted Mexican, has had a bunch of fights in SoCal, has run The Forum multiple times, and even he doesn't set $300 tickets.

Anyone claiming that this gate is not impressive is a moron. (assuming of course its actual SALES and not typical PBC "house papering")

Selling 15,000 seats, REGARDLESS of price, is next to impossible these days. For Spence to be able to do it in the Dallas market, against a complete unknown, is pretty frickin impressive.
              Last edited by OnePunch; 06-15-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Drawing 15k fans is pretty good. Puts him in line with Crawford, Valdez, Ramirez and some other decent local draws. Guys like this should fight twice a year in their hometown until they "cross over" and can fill Vegas or NYC regularly.

Hopefully, guys like Crawford, Spence and Ramirez get top tier fights in their hometowns and then can transition to Vegas. Would love to see Spence/(porter v Garcia winner) in a big Texas arena.

Would love it if Tank can get the Maryland MGM popping regularly.
                "Would love it if Tank can get the Maryland MGM popping regularly." I think he could get it poppin' if he fought Gary Russell Jr.! Now that LSC is finally ready to fight GRJ, I guess that's out of the question!

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                  That Easter card had a serious crowd too. Didn't they have attendance of 10k for that one?
                  It was packed. Ringside was really standing room. Security wasn't checking who had ringside. You could walk right down there. I felt like a fool paying full price I've been to local shows with tighter security.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    Anyone claiming that this gate is not impressive is a moron. (assuming of course its actual SALES and not typical PBC "house papering")

Selling 15,000 seats, REGARDLESS of price, is next to impossible these days. For Spence to be able to do it in the Dallas market, against a complete unknown, is pretty frickin impressive.
                    Even if there was significant papering (couldny be that much anyway), it doesn't work this well for other guys lol Hell, some NBA teams paper and don't get 15k people in the house at times.

This is impressive by any measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      It was packed. Ringside was really standing room. Security wasn't checking who had ringside. You could walk right down there. I felt like a fool paying full price I've been to local shows with tighter security.
                      That explains the crowd fights lol

Comment

Working...
                      X