Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Cotto have beaten most welters on Saturday?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was looking good on fight night, I might not have seen the Miguel of old, but even if the pre-margarito Cotto was there, I don't think it would have been enough to beat Pacquiao. It could have been more competitive, but probably not enough to win. Pac is great and rican's have been showing him respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_London View Post
      To me I think so, he was in great physical shape and had trained very hard clearly, I think he would have beaten most of the top guys that night even though he may be a bit diminished from his absolute peak a couple of years ago.
      lolz....

being in shape and training hard doesn't guarantee victory.....as if other fighters would train hard and show up in shape to fight cotto.

gimme a break, dude won 2 (maybe) of 12 rounds. he's done.

what did you guys see from cotto saturday, to make you think he would've beaten "other top welters?"

i saw an asswhooping.

Comment

Originally posted by tyde13 View Post
        lolz....

being in shape and training hard doesn't guarantee victory.....as if other fighters would train hard and show up in shape to fight cotto.

what did you guys see from cotto saturday, to make you think he would've beaten "other top welters?"

i saw an asswhooping.
        I saw a powerful jab, good speed, nice combos and good movement. I also saw a defense that would have been effective against someone who didnt possess super human speed and throws 8 punch combos.

Comment

lolz....

i saw an asswhooping.
          Because he looked excellent for the first 5 rounds, the first knockdown was just a balance thing, the second knockdown he was hurt but came back and won the next round. He looked very sharp and if he fought some of the other top guys, Mosley, Berto etc he may well have won. He simply came up against a guy on another level at the moment.

Comment

Because he looked excellent for the first 5 rounds, the first knockdown was just a balance thing, the second knockdown he was hurt but came back and won the next round. He looked very sharp and if he fought some of the other top guys, Mosley, Berto etc he may well have won. He simply came up against a guy on another level at the moment.

i thought he lost the first round, but i did give him the fifth.....

also, he lost 4 of the first 5 rounds, so how did he look "excellent?"

the first KD was not a "balance" thing, it was an excellent counter-punch landed, and the fight should've been over, but the KD occured so close to the end of the round.....after round 5, it was a whitewash.

cotto was closer to "losing" to the top WW, than beating them, on saturday. i don't know what fight you guys saw, but i saw a guy basically ineffective with power shots, i saw a guy getting hit over and over, and i saw a guy run for seven rounds, and still get hit.....

Comment

people don't want to accept that cotto will never be back to what he was before margo... I was one who did not want to accept that cotto was damaged goods... pac prove it to me. I expected a more competitve fight even if cotto lost...no i am not taking anything away from manny, he showed me that he has the tools to beat a pre margo cotto and take floyd out.

mosley will beat cotto if they meet again, any fighter with high volume punching and decent power will break cottos nose, and cut his breathing out. once you do that he does not have the power to make his opponent back up.. just think about it and don't dismiss it.. if clotty had a high output.. he would have busted up cottos nose making it bleed so bad that he could not breathe and would have beat cotto.

If cotto gets a new trainer like roach or even evangelista and stops trying to be the boss of his training camp. maybe finds a procedure to cure his scarring deep in his nasal cavity then he has a shot at beating margo and mosley. other than that IMO he will no longer be an elite.

Comment

i thought he lost the first round, but i did give him the fifth.....

also, he lost 4 of the first 5 rounds, so how did he look "excellent?"

the first KD was not a "balance" thing, it was an excellent counter-punch landed, and the fight should've been over, but the KD occured so close to the end of the round.....
                after round 5, it was a whitewash.

cotto was closer to "losing" to the top WW, than beating them, on saturday. i don't know what fight you guys saw, but i saw a guy basically ineffective with power shots, i saw a guy getting hit over and over, and i saw a guy run for seven rounds, and still get hit.....
                I suggest you watch it again. The first knockdown was in round 3 and was in the middle of the round, he touched down with his gloves and wasn't hurt. Round 4 he was hurt, the knockdown happened at the end of the round and like you say, he may well have been in bigger trouble had it occured earlier.

Comment

I suggest you watch it again. The first knockdown was in round 3 and was in the middle of the round, he touched down with his gloves and wasn't hurt. Round 4 he was hurt, the knockdown happened at the end of the round and like you say, he may well have been in bigger trouble had it occured earlier.
                  Looked like he was ready to go after the second KD lucky it happened at the end of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver View Post
                    He was looking good on fight night, I might not have seen the Miguel of old, but even if the pre-margarito Cotto was there, I don't think it would have been enough to beat Pacquiao. It could have been more competitive, but probably not enough to win. Pac is great and rican's have been showing him respect.
                    Cotto Pre Margarito would have never been gun shy and would have stomped Pacquiao imo.

Comment

Originally posted by (Fowler) View Post
                      Cotto Pre Margarito would have never been gun shy and would have stomped Pacquiao imo.
                      well at least it would have been truly what we all expected. 50/50 fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X