Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Pre-Ali All-Time Great would not be PPV material today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pre-Ali All-Time Great would not be PPV material today?

Given that not even a middleweight title defense record holder and age record holder like Hopkins is not PPV material, which top 40 all-time greats pre-Ali/Clay would not be PPV material today?

Benny Leonard comes to mind first.

Others:

Willie Pep and Sandy Saddler would be too small.

Gene Tunney could bore people.

Pancho Villa and Jimmy Wilde would be too small too.

Ezzard Charles would be just like Hopkins

i dont understand why paying to watch it on tv makes the fights so awesome for you guys. only difference between a regular hbo and ppv telecast is that the ppv has a few espn2 level fights for you to "enjoy" and it costs $50+

why do you guys like ppv so much? you idiots act like you get a cut of the ppv profits or something

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
      i dont understand why paying to watch it on tv makes the fights so awesome for you guys. only difference between a regular hbo and ppv telecast is that the ppv has a few espn2 level fights for you to "enjoy" and it costs $50+

why do you guys like ppv so much? you idiots act like you get a cut of the ppv profits or something
      The event factor of PPVs is exciting to me (when I like the fighters fighting on the main event). I enjoy watching talent and just like I pay $100+ for talented musicians or just musicians that I enjoy I am willing to spend $70 (it costs me 70 in HD with fee) on fighters I enjoy watching.

You can notice difference between elite PPV fighters and ESPN fighters. So I don't mind paying for it and PPV are handled like big events and I enjoy every part of them. The Weigh in, 24/7, night of the fight etc. I enjoy the PPV experience and that's what I pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
        The event factor of PPVs is exciting to me (when I like the fighters fighting on the main event). I enjoy watching talent and just like I pay $100+ for talented musicians or just musicians that I enjoy I am willing to spend $70 (it costs me 70 in HD with fee) on fighters I enjoy watching.

You can notice difference between elite PPV fighters and ESPN fighters. So I don't mind paying for it and PPV are handled like big events and I enjoy every part of them. The Weigh in, 24/7, night of the fight etc. I enjoy the PPV experience and that's what I pay for.
        Great break down. really great. i totally agree and couldnt have said it better myself. i enjoy the whole experience as well, all the theatrics etc... i know sometimes u get that with a non-pay per view fight and thats cool. but most of the time i can tell a big difference and also why shouldnt they get the maximum profits for what they do.. brutalizing thier bodies for our viewing pleasure and its freaking 2011 for pete's sake this is the future man. i say do new things, ride the wave, make lots of $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHT HYPE View Post
          Given that not even a middleweight title defense record holder and age record holder like Hopkins is not PPV material, which top 40 all-time greats pre-Ali/Clay would not be PPV material today?

Benny Leonard comes to mind first.

Others:

Willie Pep and Sandy Saddler would be too small.

Gene Tunney could bore people.

Pancho Villa and Jimmy Wilde would be too small too.

Ezzard Charles would be just like Hopkins

IMHO Pep and Sandler were not to small and I am sure after the first fight Pep-Sandler 2 would have been sellable PPV Eventm not to mention the 3 & 4...

Comment

There are literally hundreds of fighters that would be major ppv draws from pre Ali time period. If they fought in todays time they would nearly all be phenomenal.

Comment

Working...
            X