No announcement yet.

Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn

Both these guys held world titles in the middle weights for a considerable amount of time. Benn held the WBO Middleweight Title in 1990 and the WBC Super Middleweight Title from 1992 to 1996.

Eubank beat Benn for the World Middleweight Title in 1990 and held it until 91 when he dropped it to move up a weight in 91. He won the WBO Super Middleweight Title in 91 or 92 I think...then had a WBC/WBO Unification rematch with Benn in 93 which was another great fight, fought to a draw.

Eubank held his title until 95 when he lost it to Steve Collins (who also beat Benn, a year later).

Eubank and Benn had a big rivalry that was mainly built up by the media because they were both around their peak at the same time, at the same weight and were distinctly different characters. Benn made no secret of his dislike for Eubank's personality and as a result of these factors, their rivalry was really promoted in the media and captured the imagination of the British public...in fact, I think I heard their second fight in 93 was watched by a billion people throughout the world.

Eubank was retired by Joe Calzaghe in 1997, to whom he lost the title. But Calzaghe has said this was the toughest fight of his career.

However, neither of these guys ever went to America to fight....where big name opponents like Roy Jones, James Toney and Bernard Hopkins awaited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I never really knew much about the reasons as to why neither of these went to America. I would have thought that after their fight in 1990 Eubank would have strongly considered going over there...and Benn too. They could have made a lot of money.

As a result I wonder how well known Benn and Eubank are in the States and whether or not they are given credit for being two of the best middleweight and supermiddleweight fighters from about 1989-1997.

I'd like to know more about how well known they were in America and what factors prevented them from ever competing over there. I think either men could have given the top American middleweights of the time a good run for their money.

Either way, their rivalry was great for British boxing.

Benn fought Dewitt and Barkley in America
    Eubank turned Pro in America

Benn and Eubank would of gone to America to fight Jones as well

Comment

And Benn travelled to Italy to take the WBC title from Galvano.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
        Benn fought Dewitt and Barkley in America
        Eubank turned Pro in America

Benn and Eubank would of gone to America to fight Jones as well

I know Eubank was raised in NY and started boxing there.....didn't know Benn fought in the States so thanks for that. But obviously neither of these guys went there for real big fights...not in the way that Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Naseem Hamed etc did.

As a result I'm interested as to how much the American public knows about the two fighters.

Comment

Well actually they both did fight in America! Lol.

Eubank was only in the game for the cash, he said that many times, so obviously he was not gonna risk loosing. He actually lost to quite a few no name fighters, the no namers just got real bad decisions.

Roy jones and B hop were not the big stars they are now. I never herd b hop ever mention that he wanted to fight either of them. What was gonna happen was the winner of benn-MCclellan fights the winner of Toney-Jones, but after what happend to gerald, there was a lot of real bad feeling, and Oliver mcall never helped either when before the Bruno fight he said he was gonna do to Bruno what the uk peeps done to his friend Gerald! Benn was pretty much all over after the mCclellan fight, it was just about squeezing as much cash outta the game as pos. And he was getting a whole lot of cash in the UK. It was just bad circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
            I know Eubank was raised in NY and started boxing there.....didn't know Benn fought in the States so thanks for that. But obviously neither of these guys went there for real big fights...not in the way that Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Naseem Hamed etc did.

As a result I'm interested as to how much the American public knows about the two fighters.
            Eubank offered Jones a fight back in 96, but Jones turned it down saying Eubank is no good to me after losing twice to Collins

Not really sure what happen with Jones-Benn, Jones said he wouldnt sign because King wanted fight options.

Comment

Dewitt and Berkeley were pretty big fights for Benn. Both were world class and had fought the likes of Hearns, Duran etc.

Comment

Originally posted by stefjonno1 View Post
                . What was gonna happen was the winner of benn-MCclellan fights the winner of Toney-Jones, but after what happend to gerald, there was a lot of real bad feeling, Benn was pretty much all over after the mCclellan fight, it was just about squeezing as much cash outta the game as pos. And he was getting a whole lot of cash in the UK. It was just bad circumstances.
                Do you know why Benn Jones fell through?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
                  Do you know why Benn Jones fell through?
                  Jones asking for too much I think or him not wanting to be involved with DK.

Comment

It was because Benn lost to Malinga the year after McClellan. If Nigel kept winning and calling out Roy the fight would have eventually happened. Benn was rated pound for pound number three before he lost to Malinga, with jones and De La Hoya taking the top two spots from memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X