why i think ward really retired

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why i think ward really retired

sure i can buy his 33 year old "body" reasoning

but to me i think he still feels disrespected...and to some degree he should feel that way

but his rate of pay will no longer be on par with his standing in the game and level of accomplishments.....he simply isnt embraced and he hit his high notes with the kovalev fights.....now, accepting any less money, will not be worth it to him and will be a step back....and i dont think anyone can really afford to pay him that money or more again

its simply not worth it for him to get ready and go into a fight while making 2-3 million when hes probably the most accomplished man in boxing now

Ward got way overpaid for the Kovalev fights, $5M and $6.5M. He was guaranteed more for the 2nd Kovalev fight than Canelo was guaranteed for the Golovkin fight. Take a second to process that.

I don't think getting paid $1M to fight the likes of Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, etc. was very appealing to him. I don't doubt that he'd come back if he was offered another $6.5M though.

Comment

Surely he could have a got a decent pay day fighting Bellew?

Comment

A unification bout with Stevenson might have made some money if promoted right.

Comment

Agenda boy trying to suck hard

Welcome to the baby bottle crew of excuses

Comment

the man retired cuz he didn't want to fight any more...he doesn't need to justify it to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
              Bellew can do better business fighting Haye and Joshua instead. Ward is a great fighter, but he's not filling UK stadiums for a non-title cruiserweight fight vs. Tony Bellew. I doubt he was offered more than $2-3M for that fight which probably wasn't enough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
                Bellew vs haye is a done deal apparently. Maybe that's why he's retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  Bellew can do better business fighting Haye and Joshua instead. Ward is a great fighter, but he's not filling UK stadiums for a non-title cruiserweight fight vs. Tony Bellew. I doubt he was offered more than $2-3M for that fight which probably wasn't enough for him.
                  No he really retired cause he didn't want to get his jaw tapped again like bellew did him in creed

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X