Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macbook Pro: 8gb RAM and 512 SSD vs 16gb of Ram 256 SSD, Which Do You Recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook Pro: 8gb RAM and 512 SSD vs 16gb of Ram 256 SSD, Which Do You Recommend?

I've been struggling with this one, Best buy is running a good deal on the 8gb RAM 512 SSD, however, should one prioritize RAM heading into the future. Is 8GB of RAM on a Mac enough to hold someone over heading into the next 5-8 years.

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    I've been struggling with this one, Best buy is running a good deal on the 8gb RAM 512 SSD, however, should one prioritize RAM heading into the future. Is 8GB of RAM on a Mac enough to hold someone over heading into the next 5-8 years.
    Depends, what type of programs are you running?

Comment

Ram over storage.

Why a Macbook though? You're paying for a brand.

Comment

Go big, everything is only getting faster and using more data, overkill is always better than coming up short. On the other hand you should always be able to upgrade RAM, so I don't think you're locked in permanently.

Comment

Ram is king, nothing improves performance per $ more than ram. Its usually upgradable fairly cheaply though, so check if you can upgrade later if you need to.

Comment

Apple make over priced junk computers. 8gb of ram is not future proof either. Hell 16gb might not be soon if you game. If your computer is working fine for now I would wait. Amphere and rdna2 coming soon. Ddr5 ram is coming soon too along with better laptop processors. Your Apple craptop might get **** on by the new game consoles if you buy now lol.

Comment

I'm still in awe of how much apple charges for computers with such mediocre specs. Marketing geniuses. You can get a Lenovo with 16gb + 1tb for $400ish.
              Last edited by ////; 01-13-2020, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                I'm still in awe of how much apple charges for computers with such mediocre specs. Marketing geniuses. You can get a Lenovo with 16gb + 1tb for $400ish.
                1tb is no good if it isn't an SSD.

Storage is cheap, it's better to buy a computer with an SSD and then use USB storage if required.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
                  1tb is no good if it isn't an SSD.

Storage is cheap, it's better to buy a computer with an SSD and then use USB storage if required.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-LED-Ba...tronics&sr=1-9

Entry-level, budget Lenovo:
                  $440 for 16GB & 1TB SSD

Apple MacBook:
                  $1000 for 8GB & 128GB of flash storage

I dunno what 1k+ gets you on a non-Apple laptop (never spent that much) but I'm assuming some premium gamer thing.
                  Last edited by ////; 01-13-2020, 03:35 AM.

Comment

I’d stay away from Apple computers because what you should get for 2020, Apple will charge you an arm and a leg for it. You should aim for at least 16gb ram, 1tb SSD. Apple’s Macbook Pro with these specs cost $2,800.

I was going to get it despite the price but I did my homework and instead got a Dell XPS, 1tb m.2 PCIe, NVMe SSD, 32gb RAM (not a typo, 32gb RAM), Geforce GTX 1650 (nothing crazy, it’s not for gaming anyway), Intel i7, for $1800 ($1900 and some change with tax).

And if you go for Dell’s $2700 dollar version of its XPS then you get the intel core i9 CPU. There’s also a beastly $3400 dollar XPS with 2tb ssd, 64gb RAM (sixty four gb of RAM), and intel i9.

Yeah, Apple needs to step it up. The only people buying those overpriced Macbooks are 1. Students/kids, 2. People who have no real use for a laptop and just want to have a nice “looking” laptop with a nice little OS. In other words money is not an issue for them because in reality, specs aren’t a priority for them, it’s more about brand. And I love Apple, I love the iPhone, that’s my current phone. I love iTunes. But I do not care about smartphone specs, therefore money is not an issue for the $1200 dollar iPhones.

Comment

Working...
                    X