Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua can beat Wilder. How does he avoid getting knocked out though?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joshua isn’t mobile nor a defensive master.

But I can see Him using his size and strength to try to smother Wilder. Possibly bully him around the ring.

Otherwise AJ gets knocked out

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu
      ... Andre Ward's style would work best vs Wilder -- jump in and wrestle the m'****er into submission... (but nobody is able to emulate Ward's style...)

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
      Joshua isn’t mobile nor a defensive master.

But I can see Him using his size and strength to try to smother Wilder. Possibly bully him around the ring.

Otherwise AJ gets knocked out
      ... That's exactly why a mentioned Andre Ward above!...

Comment

It's true am a stunch AJ fanboys but the truth is this match is diasy. Wilder will want to go for the early KO because I believe he will ravel the attack first. If AJ can't keep good distance to frustrate him for the first 2 rounds and settle into the fight, I see wilder being vulnerable and key in into the left hook combination in an attempt to throw a bomb.
        Basically, it's who hit who first flush.

Am sure it will be an exciting fight.

Comment

When Wilder misses some big shots, Joshua must go on him, like he did against Wladimir in 5. round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
            Do you deny the Brezeale caught Wilder coming in and hurt him?

Wilder is at his most vulnerable when he thinks he has someone hurt.

Comment

Throwing double and triple jabs every round to keep wilder of balance while pushing him back . Can’t let DW go first on you cause even if he grazes your chin or temple your buzzed !

Comment

Klit dropped Joshua with a straight right hand - Wilder could easily do the same thing.

Joshua is not exactly a defensive genius like Fury, he relies on physicality and is a decent counter puncher.

You need very good ring craft and lateral movement to avoid guys like Wilder who basically have huge reach / arcs of fire - if you can control the space around / between the fighters you can neutralize that threat, especially as Wilder throws himself off balance a lot. To do this you need to be a very natural boxer and be confident in your ability to avoid getting tagged clean.

I'm no longer sure Joshua has the above qualities - they cannot be taught late in a given career.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                  Do you deny the Brezeale caught Wilder coming in and hurt him?

Wilder is at his most vulnerable when he thinks he has someone hurt.
                  You are bang on and I’ve said exactly this loads of times.

Wilder loses all his technique when he goes for the kill. Which is why he was the one who ended up hurt by the end of 12th vs Fury.

If Joshua is wobbled but not knocked out, I could just as easily see Wilder having his head taken off rather than AJ.

In terms of tectics, like many have pointed out, Joshua is not Fury. He won’t be able to move like Fury did and he doesn’t need to. I think he needs to put pressure on Wilder, get into the middle range and let rip with tight short shots. Shorter punches land quicker than wide ones. He needs to constantly turn Wilder to Wilders left, and look to counter as Wilder tries to catch up. Wilders left hook is pretty poor, it’s not a particularly dangerous punch, so AJ needs to keep Wilder moving to that side and make it difficult to throw the right.

Ultimately, someone is getting their head taken off. Personally I would bet on the guy who throws shorter tighter punches in a fight like this, but at long range Wilder is absolutely lethal, so no doubt he will be dangerous as long as the fight is still going.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                    Brezeale the walking punch-bag caught and hurt Wilder. Wilder is very open when he thinks he has someone hurt, any technique he had goes out the window and his shots become very wide.

Could see Joshua catching him and putting him down if he comes in Wild like that.
                    Wilder wasn't hurt at all, he was rabbit punched, and then Breazeale hit him and Wilder rolled it with his shoulder, and appeared off balance.

Comment

One thing Joshua/McCracken absolutely has to do is watch plenty of tape on Wilder.

He is subtle with his set ups for the right hand, but he isn’t all that versatile. He’s gonna jab, try and disrupt your guard and clear the path for the right. He does it fight after fight.

Joshua should be trained to the point where any slight trigger that this is about to happen, he knows what’s happening and can act accordingly (defensively or later in the fight once he is more comfortable, countering)

Comment

Working...
                      X