Weight gain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight gain

Hi all,

Bit of a newbie, always wanted to get into boxing, think this is the year. For the last 2 years I've been in the gym (very skinny lad), so I am wondering if I start boxing training instead of pure bodybuilding exercises, is it still possible to put weight on?
    I've seen how certain boxers have gone up weights in matters of months etc..

Regards

Originally posted by Welsh123 View Post
    Hi all,

Bit of a newbie, always wanted to get into boxing, think this is the year. For the last 2 years I've been in the gym (very skinny lad), so I am wondering if I start boxing training instead of pure bodybuilding exercises, is it still possible to put weight on?

Regards
    Box 3x per week and do Calisthenics 3x per week. You can build plenty of muscle, strength, and endurance with just body weight.

Comment

Hi all,

Regards
      Personally, if I were you I would go to a Dr. have a physical and labs (done) typically on the after visit report, the Dr will categorize your BMI according to height/weight and if you definitely are considered to "skinny" well its time to add some mass. If you are in or around the healthy range of weight than work with what God has given you. Either way protein is your best option as far as gaining mass, it just depends again on what your results are. If you truly are underweight than a high calorie protein would benefit you, if you are at or around a healthy weight Id suggest a high calorie protein in the morning and lower calorie protein(s) as the day dwindles down. Protein is key though man, dont think just lifting heavy or eating McDonalds to gain weight will help.

Comment

It's possible if you eat enough. You have to remember most fighters "moving up" are just cutting less weight, so it's not really the same. Very few fighters genuinely move up. Recent examples of fighters that fought above their optimal weight classes include Mayweather, Pacquiao and Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
          It's possible if you eat enough. You have to remember most fighters "moving up" are just cutting less weight, so it's not really the same. Very few fighters genuinely move up. Recent examples of fighters that fought above their optimal weight classes include Mayweather, Pacquiao and Cotto.
          Roy Jones for the Ruiz fight comes to mind as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
            Roy Jones for the Ruiz fight comes to mind as well.
            That's a good one too.

Comment

When you're young, it's 75% genetics, 25% how you eat and exercise. You can try to do the right things and add weight but if your body in not inclined toward it, it's just not going to happen. The only way you'll know is to try.

Comment

well pure boxing training, as in sparring, pad work, shadow boxing, isnt going to put on muscle, or not a lot anyway. You need some sort of progressive resistance training regime in place, whether thats calisthenics or traditional weight training (i love calisthenics so would go for that and probably translates better for boxing). Boxing sessions are going to burn more calories so your going to have to eat more calories to make sure you are in a calorie surplus to put weight on, otherwise you can do all the strength training in the world and your going to put no weight/muscle on. Would probably say do 3 strength training sessions a week, no more than that.

Comment

Hi all,

Regards
                  Its going to be very difficult if your tall and skinny and want to stay in boxing competition shape if you've never lifted.,particularly if you have a fast metabolism.....best bet stick to squts/hack squats/ dead lifts/bench presses once a week. these excercises stimulate growth hormone igf 1 levels that increases testosterone which builds muscle and strength...take creatine monhydrate /pure creatine...it will add 5 pounds at least and also stimulate protein synthesis in the muscle tissue and also boost recovery and less injury to the muscles.Other supplemtation requirements would be protein powdrer( up your mass) I would recommend...invest in quality supplements,snacks can be 2tps peanut butter natural brand/honey...etc. it has calories/good fats and protein source

don't make it complicated...and be careful whos telling you what...like this section...make sure anyone giving advise actually has muscle and has stepped foot in a gym ,CERTAIN ppl on here haven't and if you asked them to provide a body pic at least arm pics and they don't its a good sighn they are frauds pretending to be training long...my pic is in my profile so you know im legit..right Dago dope?!

possters like Redd Foxx is a safe bet to listen to,he just doesn't read articles and posts that info,like me hes actually trained awhile...myself for 3 decades.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-17-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X