Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.I.P Deontay Wilder's Glass Jaw. Haymon lost the purse bid. Dead Jaw walking.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
    Please, It's comments like this that get to me the most. Do not ever go by individual sanctioning body rankings. Kovalev isn't even ranked by the WBC for example. Stiverne is not a top 10 fighter that's just fact, Spzilka is not even top 20 and duhaupas is around 40. If you think Spzilka is a top 5 HW then you're a moron
    Kovalev isn't ranked by the WBC because he's a champion. Champions are not ranked by other organizations.

Comment

Lots of ya are worried why so?

Comment

Boxrec is a much better system which gives much fairer rankings and is generally accepted by most boxing fans. You can also look around forums or look for trainers, fighters or ex fighters personal top tens to get a clearer picture of who the best fighters are.
        Ah. The "Court of Public Opinion". Let's listen to them rather than sanctioning bodies or official records.

So basically...
        - Tommy Hearns had a glass jaw because Hagler put him away
        - Tyson never lost to Buster Douglas because the ref counted long
        - Manny Pacquiao's ineffective aggression won him every round against Floyd
        - James Toney was P4P despite not having fought anybody and getting destroyed by Roy Jones
        - Floyd's a bum because he doesn't go in there slugging like Magomed Abdusalomov
        - Tim Bradley's a bum because he goes in there slugging and he's clumsy
        - Ruslan Provod is a bum
        - Chris Algieri is a bum despite taking Amir Khan to school
        - Lucas Matthysse took a dive against Victor Postol
        - Gennady Golovkin is unstoppable despite having not fought anbody yet
        - Manny is scared of Crawford despite Crawford getting rocked by Gamboa
        - Paulie Malignaggi outboxed Zab Judah, despite Judah clearly throwing that fight
        - Jesse Vargas was going to knock Bradley out if it weren't for that "meddling ref"
        - Meldrick Taylor was too hurt to have won against Chavez

You'll forgive me if I ignore "Public Opinion". I don't go off emotional outcomes that are blatantly wrong.

I'd love to see your personal list of top 20 HW's in the world so we can lay our cards on the table, I'll give you mine back. If you put Stiverne in the top 10, szpilka in the top 10 and Duhaupas in the top 15 I'll have a good laugh at least

This is the problem. Making a Top 20, in the words of Julius Erving, is a waste. It's pointless because it's subjective and doesn't solve anything.

Top 20 of ALL TIME? No, those three wouldn't be there.

Top 20 OF CURRENT ACTIVE FIGHTERS AS OF WHEN WILDER FOUGHT THEM? Yes, they were there because there weren't any other options, dude. There's only what...23 heavyweights? LOL. David Haye wasn't active, Charles Martin wasn't active. It's a different time now, the game's changed.

I'll tell you this. I'd put Stiverne and Szpilka above Pulev, right now.

Comment

Povetkin gets knocked out. While Wilder might very well be a knockout waiting to happen, I just don't see Povetkin pulling it off.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            You didn't give any reasons as to why this is inaccurate so I guess I should guess what you are responding too? Let me put it this way: when a fighter gets an opportunity to fight for the championship, and the champ is not doing a number on you, one should grow brave. This is one example, specifically when Clinchko was doing little but grabbing the Russian his answer to this was to be held, not to try to throw everything he could. Instead of taking a risk and going for it he timidly let Vlad back in the fight. This was his big opportunity. The few times Vlad caught the Russian was enough for Povatkin to take a pass and be happy with surviving the fight.

You say I am inaccurate can you honestly say, watching the Russian's fights, that when he figures out how to manoveur around Wilder's right hand, he will pick his spots and attack Wilder viciously? Using his speed and his somewhat new found power? Or will he stand straight up, Olympic style, and try to hit Wilder with occasional jabs and combos and retreat at the first possability of a confrontation? Until Wilder finds a way to muscle in past his straight line of attack (Povatkin never met an angle he likes to take in the ring) to tag the Russian and send him back to Red star communism?

Povatkin has the skills to win meekly, but, Wilder is getting better, thats the X factor here. Wilder's combos are starting to look good and he could overpower Povatkin if he percieves no threat from a counter from the Russian who will be moving back and fourth like most stand up Euro fighters. if he fought strong, Povatkin would beat Wilder fairly easily, he has the mobiity and hand speed, the skills and experience to do so, but I doubt he has the ability to go after a guy who he percieves as a threat. The proof is in the Vlad fight. He should have been lighting Vlad up knowing Clinchko was doing little more than grabbing him.
            Povetkin tried hard enough against Klitschko, but the constant clinching wore him out, along with the distance he had to cover getting inside since he doesn't use a jab often to reduce the strain of getting inside. His style, good midrange fighter but weak on the outside, just isn't right to beat someone so cautious as Wlad. On the other hand, his style fits pretty well against a guy like Wilder, who keeps his head up and flails amateur combos when someone comes forward. Looking better? Deontay's looked worse since the Stiverne fight, a fight that probably made him look better than he really is due to Stiverne showing no ability to move his feet.

Comment

After the Szpilka fight I said Povetkin will take him out easily even bet my all points on this outcome (), now I'm not so sure. I think this fight will be pretty short, 6 rounds max. Let the better man win, if Wilder pulls this off, I will be sold on him, Povetkin is no joke. Plus if he beats him in Russia he should get tons of repect from every boxing fan. I know he will get it from me.

Comment

Why you guys hating on Wilder and acting like he's just some bum? Yes the guy is annoying, yes he has no fashion sense and tries too hard to have some style, yes he's arrogant and sloppy at times when he fights but.....he's not just some push over in the HW division. He has skill and power

Comment

I think Povetkin is being very overrated around here. He is definitely a good fighter and by the best fighter Wilder has been in with, but people make out he is some killer in the ring. I'd pick someone like David Haye to stop him.

I'm not saying Wilder will beat him but i'm not going to be surprised if he does. Wilder can punch and has a big size advantage over Povetkin. Wilder has some skill, not that he is a master boxer but people speak about him like he's as bad as Tye Fields or something. Povetkin is a bit more skilled than Wilder, but he's not as good as people here would have you believe.

Comment

Hopefully a boxing highlight reel 2016 moment. Wilder's real test, possibly far, far away from home...

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                      I think Povetkin is being very overrated around here. He is definitely a good fighter and by the best fighter Wilder has been in with, but people make out he is some killer in the ring. I'd pick someone like David Haye to stop him.

I'm not saying Wilder will beat him but i'm not going to be surprised if he does. Wilder can punch and has a big size advantage over Povetkin. Wilder has some skill, not that he is a master boxer but people speak about him like he's as bad as Tye Fields or something. Povetkin is a bit more skilled than Wilder, but he's not as good as people here would have you believe.
                      Wilder has all the tools necessary to beat Povetkin, height, reach, jab, killer right hand. If he fights to his strengths he beats Povetkin and makes it look easy. If he tries to brawl with Povetkin that's when things become dangerous for him.

I see a lot of the same rhetoric here as in the run up to the Stiverne fight. Stiverne's his first real test, Wilder hasn't fought anyone on his level, Wilder's going to get brutally KOed etc. Povetkin's better than Stiverne but not by leaps and bounds, and he has many of the same weaknesses which Wilder can exploit.

The outcome of this fight depends on Wilder. If he sticks to the same gameplan as he did against Stiverne I see very little that Povetkin can do. If he gets sloppy and tries to go for the KO then Povetkin can catch him and drop him.

Comment

Working...
                      X