Winky dominating Trinidad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
    Winky's style would had beaten Tito at any weight
    I think at 147 Tito could win cause Winky would be weight drained and Tito was at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
      as far as I am concerned, it is common knowledge that Tito was shot AND way out of his natural weight class. Same with his fight against Roy Jones.

he was WAY out of his weight class with jones, he was not way out of his weight class with winky. not like winky was a huge 160, and tito fought at 160 before. tito being "shot" combined with winky being the better man in all departments, is why tito got dominated. there is one thing losing to the better man, there is another looking foolish (as tito did). i take nothing away from trinidad though, dude was a beast in his prime, but lets call a spade a spade, winky is just better

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
        winky is a better fighter than tito. 154, 160, whatever. winky is just better. not to mention after bhop, tito was not quite the same...
        I'm not sure if I agree entirely with Winky being "better" than Tito. But I do think that Winky was a style nightmare for Trinidad.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          I'm not sure if I agree entirely with Winky being "better" than Tito. But I do think that Winky was a style nightmare for Trinidad.
          I do consider him better, based on the fact that Winky was competitive with all styles. Where as Tito can be dramatically exposed against certain styles.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sballotHOF View Post
            I do consider him better, based on the fact that Winky was competitive with all styles. Where as Tito can be dramatically exposed against certain styles.
            Excellent point, Winky might not win a popularity contest against Tito, or been as exciting (In some people's opinions), but he was a very smart fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolkiller View Post
              I think at 147 Tito could win cause Winky would be weight drained and Tito was at his best.
              IMO Tito was his best at 154 lb. Winky was so avoided that even when Vargas fought him he got a questionable win. Winky in his prime was just a problem for anybody at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                basically this.

a left hooker vs a southpaw with a great jab. problems all day.

Comment

Well I can respect that and see what you're getting at, like I said I'm not too committed in saying either is better than the other. But off the top of my head, Tito has the better resume IMO, but that too maybe arguable.

I think Winky beats Tito at any weight/time frame for what it's worth.

Comment

I was a big Trinidad fan and saw all of his fights and the fight with Wright was his worst performance by far. Wright was a real good fighter at this time and he deserves credit for this great win. Wright had a great defense and a hard style to deal with. Mayweather and Oscar turn down fights with him at 154. During the time of both the Hopkins and Wright fights Trinidad was having some serious personal and family problems that had a bad effect on his training. I was told this by a relative of Trinidad. If you only judge Trinidad by those two fights he does not look like anything special. I hope people won't go only by those two fights because they are misleading. The totally dedicated and focused Trinidad that went undefeated for his first 40 fights including 20 tittle fights was truely an all time great. If Winky had fought the Trinidad that KOed Vargas he might still have won but he would have been in a hard fight and not a shutout. Trinidad was perfect at 154 and 160 was to heavy for him but I think the main reason he looked average against Hopkins and Wright is because he was not devoted to boxing in those fights. That's just my opinion.

Comment

He wasn't competitive against Williams' style. Yeah he was past his prime but a volume puncher like PWil would be a nightmare for any Winky.

Comment

Working...
                      X