Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jabbing more, avoiding confrontation --the key to win close fights today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabbing more, avoiding confrontation --the key to win close fights today?

That's exactly what Bradley did against Marquez.

Marquez was the one initiating the action all fight. The one throwing more power punches. The one with a more effective punching ratio. The one who prevented a rather action-less fight from being a total snooze-fest. And all of this, being JMM a natural counter-puncher, not an aggressive guy who pushes for the action. And also being a much slower --in the legs, but not the hands by any means-- and much older fighter than his opponent, to boot.

Bradley threw way more jabs than Marquez. Because of his jabs, in the end, his total punch count was slightly higher than Marquez's. But Tim avoided fighting all night. He literally ran away a lot. It looked like he was even scared to get hit and knocked out or getting hurt, and that was his primary concern (avoiding getting hit at all costs, and jabbing endlessly to get a higher punch count than Marquez).

Final numbers: (landed/thrown = percentage of accuracy)

Jabs
    Bradley: 82/337 = 24.33%
    Marquez: 38/169 = 22.48%

Power punches
    Bradley: 86/225 = 38.22%
    Marquez: 115/286 = 40.20%

Totals: Jabs + Power Punches
    Bradley: 168/562 = 29.89%
    Marquez: 153/455 = 33.62%

So the numbers make it even more obvious: Bradley fought only for points, avoiding confrontation all night. Marquez fought to win the fight by knock-out, but Bradley's elusiveness, fast legs --compared to JMM's foot slowness-- and good luck (because if he had been caught by just one of those several huge right hands JMM threw into the air, he would have been knocked out, just like Pacquiao was), sealed the fate of a rather action-less and disappointing fight.

Bottom line: In this day and age, most judges and experts, favor jabbing a lot and avoiding confrontation, over sheer old-style power punching and aggressiveness. That is the "fighting style" Mayweather Jr. has popularized, which is sadly being followed by fighters who idolize him, like Broner, Bradley and even Rigondeaux, not to mention many other unknowns. And that is a sad thing for some of us who like ACTION and FUN in boxing fights. Good old Frazier-Ali, Hearns-Hagler, Castillo-Corrales, Pacquiao-Morales, Barrera-Morales, Pacquiao-Marquez, kind of slug fests.

In how many Ring Magazine's fights of the year is Mayweather or the likes of him included? I rest my case.
    Last edited by sterilizer; 10-18-2013, 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Get the **** outta here and go watch all the Toney vs McCallum fights and tell me that boxing is boring.

The problem with "boxers" today is they take a lot LESS risk than they used to.

Danny Garcia fits into the category of an "exciting" boxer, like Toney.

Comment

you're getting an action fight tomorrow night, you got a showcase of boxing and skills last weekend that's what boxing is about.

if alvarado boxes provo's head off does that make him a boring fighter or just a smart one for not doing the one thing that'll give provo the edge?

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        Get the **** outta here and go watch all the Toney vs McCallum fights and tell me that boxing is boring.

The problem with "boxers" today is they take a lot LESS risk than they used to.

Danny Garcia fits into the category of an "exciting" boxer, like Toney.
        Its not the fault of the boxers. Its the fault of the pressure fighters. Today's pressure fighters lack basic fundamental skills. Even fighters who aren't pressure fighters lack the necessary skill to apply effective pressure when its in their best interest to do so.

There are some very skilled pressure fighters in today's landscape like Golovkin from what I've seen. But where are the Duran's, Chavez Sr.'s, Joe Frazier's etc.

The boxers are able to move and pot shot because the opponents who aren't able to apply effective pressure allow them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Its not the fault of the boxers. Its the fault of the pressure fighters. Today's pressure fighters lack basic fundamental skills. Even fighters who aren't pressure fighters lack the necessary skill to apply effective pressure when its in their best interest to do so.

There are some very skilled pressure fighters in today's landscape like Golovkin from what I've seen. But where are the Duran's, Chavez Sr.'s, Joe Frazier's etc.

The boxers are able to move and pot shot because the opponents who aren't able to apply effective pressure allow them to do so.
          I agree, there are a lot of fighters who tend to follow more than step to their side to cut off the ring.. and if they do a lot of them tend to get confused if the boxer uses just a bit more active left-right movement.

I expect Manny to play the role of a boxer/puncher against Rios, it would be in Manny's best interest to put on a clinic and box like he did against DLH.

Punch and circle to his right, Rios will be left confused at the angle of Manny's left.

Comment

Honestly, if you don't want to watch skill or technique-piss off to another sport. Just because Marquez was forcing the action because he knew he was down on the cards doesn't make him a winner-and this is coming from someone who likes Marquez.

Boxing is not always rugged brawling-get used to it. Ali wasn't a pressure fighter, nor was he a brawler-he used his best weapon-his JAB and his footwork to control the fight. He is regarded as a legend of the sport for his skills. Boxing is about imposing the better technique against whatever style your opposition brings-whether it is applying EFFECTIVE aggression, clean punches, better defense and ring generalship.

I cannot understand those who think Bradley was boring...he worked on the outside and mixed it up when he could. Now don't get me wrong,my favourite fight was Corrales/ Castillo 1, but to expect that from fighters who don't have those attributes is plain gullible. Bradley has given us brave efforts while putting his 0 at risk and his career/money on the line-quit moaning.

Comment

I'm a Marquez fan

but this is ridiculous. Bradley won get over it. So we should penalize fighters for jabbing?

Comment

Originally posted by sterilizer View Post
                That's exactly what Bradley did against Marquez.

Marquez was the one initiating the action all fight. The one throwing more power punches. The one with a more effective punching ratio. The one who prevented a rather action-less fight from being a total snooze-fest. And all of this, being JMM a natural counter-puncher, not an aggressive guy who pushes for the action. And also being a much slower --in the legs, but not the hands by any means-- and much older fighter than his opponent, to boot.

Bradley threw way more jabs than Marquez. Because of his jabs, in the end, his total punch count was slightly higher than Marquez's. But Tim avoided fighting all night. He literally ran away a lot. It looked like he was even scared to get hit and knocked out or getting hurt, and that was his primary concern (avoiding getting hit at all costs, and jabbing endlessly to get a higher punch count than Marquez).

Final numbers: (landed/thrown = percentage of accuracy)

Jabs
                Bradley: 82/337 = 24.33%
                Marquez: 38/169 = 22.48%

Power punches
                Bradley: 86/225 = 38.22%
                Marquez: 115/286 = 40.20%

Totals: Jabs + Power Punches
                Bradley: 168/562 = 29.89%
                Marquez: 153/455 = 33.62%

So the numbers make it even more obvious: Bradley fought only for points, avoiding confrontation all night. Marquez fought to win the fight by knock-out, but Bradley's elusiveness, fast legs --compared to JMM's foot slowness-- and good luck (because if he had been caught by just one of those several huge right hands JMM threw into the air, he would have been knocked out, just like Pacquiao was), sealed the fate of a rather action-less and disappointing fight.

Bottom line: In this day and age, most judges and experts, favor jabbing a lot and avoiding confrontation, over sheer old-style power punching and aggressiveness. That is the "fighting style" Mayweather Jr. has popularized, which is sadly being followed by fighters who idolize him, like Broner, Bradley and even Rigondeaux, not to mention many other unknowns. And that is a sad thing for some of us who like ACTION and FUN in boxing fights. Good old Frazier-Ali, Hearns-Hagler, Castillo-Corrales, Pacquiao-Morales, Barrera-Morales, Pacquiao-Marquez, kind of slug fests.

In how many Ring Magazine's fights of the year is Mayweather or the likes of him included? I rest my case.
                I agree but most people on this site just listen to Merchant and Lampley cause they have no clue

Comment

Broner has an exciting style, and to everyone on BS.. is very hittable. He just happens to have a real bad personality problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X