Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Henry Armstrong robbed of the Middleweight title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post

This type of inside fighting is almost non-existent in today's boxing.
    Not sure if they'd let you shove your opponent around the ring with your head anymore.

Close fight to be considered out and out robbery IMO. Not surprised if the fix was in though. I would have scored it for Hank.
    Last edited by JimEarl; 08-08-2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
      A win over Ceferino Garcia in March 1940 would of made Armstrong a 4-weight champion in an era of 8 weight classes. Most observers believe Armstrong was robbed.

I watched the fight and ended up scoring for Armstrong by two rounds. Some of the rounds having missing parts and are cut mid-round but it would appear Armstrong beat Garcia that night.

Although it is a 10-round fight it was listed for Ceferino's Middleweight title by California.

This type of inside fighting is almost non-existent in today's boxing.
      I am not sure, why were some rounds cut ? did Garcia get on top in some rounds and a partisan supporter simply cut some film to make a case for Armstrong. Lets make something clear that some here may not recognise, Garcia was a really good fighter and much bigger than Armstrong, I think maybe middleweight was a step too far... there is no doubt this was a hell of a close fight. I can't make a proper judgement because of this missing film. Many would have hoped for Henry to win and so many were very disappointed he didn't get the decision, he was the fan favourite but Garcia has the win on paper and if the judging was wrong then unlucky but the film I have seen, this fight was hard to score.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        I am not sure, why were some rounds cut ? did Garcia get on top in some rounds and a partisan supporter simply cut some film to make a case for Armstrong. Lets make something clear that some here may not recognise, Garcia was a really good fighter and much bigger than Armstrong, I think maybe middleweight was a step too far... there is no doubt this was a hell of a close fight. I can't make a proper judgement because of this missing film. Many would have hoped for Henry to win and so many were very disappointed he didn't get the decision, he was the fan favourite but Garcia has the win on paper and if the judging was wrong then unlucky but the film I have seen, this fight was hard to score.
        It was a draw i think Mcgoorty

Comment

Armstrongs style in general is not an easy one to score i think. When both are that close to each other throwing punches it cant be easy to see which one is landing the better shots and which is rolling and slipping punches. Especially with the size difference too.

I thought HA won, but can definitely see why it would be scored a close fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            The judges topped off hammern Hank's tank at 147 without his knowledge. I think it was a weak middleweight era.
            It sure wasn't the strongest MW era that's for sure but Garcia was good but none of the MW's in that part of the era would have lasted long against those top MW's of Darcy's era or the best of the 20's..... late 40's/50's and the 70's...... Hagler and Arguello and Monzon would have been too big and strong for Armstrong, indeed all three would knock him out and Hank would have had trouble with Benvenuto due to height and reach. Also I think that the 30's was affected greatly by the depression, many top fighters struggled for a regular meal, that much is clear by looking at the builds of so many fighters then, very lean most were, but one thing for sure they were HARD.

Comment

Working...
            X