Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the only fight in Mayweathers career where most boxing fans want him to win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the only fight in Mayweathers career where most boxing fans want him to win?

Literally cant think of a single fight where he had the crowd support but I think most boxing fans want him to win this time around simple because Connor is an MMA guy, trying to beat and possibly replace boxings best fighter (in his mind anyway).

Thoughts?

Big misconception. He does catch some boo’s but watch any of his fights, as soon as he starts to put it in the other guy everyone’s yelling and cheering. But like I said he does get booed a lot and ppl wanna see a guy with a perfect record and ****y persona lose, but he also has ppl cheering when he actually does let his hands go. Kinda like tyson, when getting beat up they cheer for other guy, but as soon as tyson starts throwing/Landibg they go for him.

Comment

Most boxing fans want him to lose this one, too lol. Floyd just isn't a very likeable person.

Comment

Depends on when you're talking

Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post
        Literally cant think of a single fight where he had the crowd support but I think most boxing fans want him to win this time around simple because Connor is an MMA guy, trying to beat and possibly replace boxings best fighter (in his mind anyway).

Thoughts?
        Through much of Floyd's time at 130lbs, most folks wanted to see him win. Heck, most folks wanted to see him win throughout most of his run at 135lbs, too.

Folks only really started to turn on him after the beating he put on Arturo Gatti (and about where the talk of fighting Oscar De La Hoya became a real possibility than simply a boast).

Floyd goes into business for himself, and the boxing media turn the boxing fans against Floyd in an even bigger way.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Through much of Floyd's time at 130lbs, most folks wanted to see him win. Heck, most folks wanted to see him win throughout most of his run at 135lbs, too.

Folks only really started to turn on him after the beating he put on Arturo Gatti (and about where the talk of fighting became a real possibility than simply a boast).

Floyd goes into business for himself, and the media turn the fans against Floyd in an even bigger way.
          Funnily enough that happened to be the time when i began to follow boxing, I remember making a thread asking what was Mayweathers deal cuz he was so disrespectful to Gatti ie A C level fighter etc

So youre right, perhaps from that point people started to dislike him

Comment

For sure. Floyd only had a lot of attention post-ODLH. And he's been a bad guy before that point & he's always had a nice portion of fans rooting against him from the slave contract line, the way he acted, leaving Arum, being flashy with money, etc & so on. So yea this is for sure the biggest number of boxing fans rooting for him to win I believe.

Comment

Even the HBO commentators couldn't contain their exuberance when they thought Mayweather might lose:

Comment

Floyd, like Ali, learned the art of promotion and mic work from pro wrestlers. He repositioned himself from "Pretty Boy" to "Money" and gave the people a villain. Someone not to cheer. Someone you wanna see get beat. He's apparently a decent enough guy when the cameras are off (although that wife abuse stuff makes me wonder!) Whatever the case, he is a shrewd businessman who mastered the art of promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post

Thoughts?
                  Any true boxing fan would and should want him to win. Casuals are understandable.
                  Yes this might be it since we're all in this together 🤣
                  I hated floyd a few times in his career as well but never hoped for him to lose, just want him to fight em all at the best time, but he mostly didn't.

Comment

Half the hate came RIGHT AFTER he LEFT bob arum, bob has that much pull that his paid journalist s**t on Floyd & the fans that hate jumped right on the hate also came with the #38 fight. Like Floyd says he keeps it 100 while Oscar & some others show us there smile but not the fishnets, hookers, cocaine, alcohol & all the other stuff & I'm not mad at Oscar for that stuff, its just funny.

Comment

Working...
                    X