Collapse
No announcement yet.

Referee stoppages are ruining boxing for me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno. I don't think Khan would have lasted to long. You have to realize - Garcia couldn't miss. He would landed again and again. I think the right decision was made guys and I really wanted Khan to continue. I knew deep down the fight was over

Comment

I agree early stoppages are ruining the sport AIR_KENG , however I personally agreed with the stoppage last night because Khan was taking a beating.

It has gotten to the point though that we see referees wave a fight over on a knockdown without even counting or giving a fighter a chance to beat the count. Most of the time it occurs when the "star" or the "hometown fighter scores the knockdown. So if Khan dropped Garcia at the end of the third, I consider the posibility that Bayless would have called it if Garcia was wobbling the way Khan was after the first knockdown. But that aside, I agree referees are misfiring on stoppages. And all they have to say is "better too early than too late" and all is forgiven. Rather than too early why not give the fighter a chance to do his thing and earn a living, it's his career at stake!

Comment

The fight should have been stopped in the 3rd. Bayless was giving Khan too many chances to recover.

Comment

if he hadn't stopped it kahn would have bravely/stupidely come out and continued to try and trade and would have taken three or four more really big ones before going down again and being carried out on a fecking stretcher ... one thing u can say about kahn is he has heart ... but no fecking brains

Comment

Originally posted by AIR_KENG View Post
            Don't get me wrong, I love Kenny Bayless as a referee but referees are given too much authority over ending fights that it becomes ridiculous sometimes. I recognize the fact that they have the best interest of the fighter inside the ring but they have to give the boxers the benefit of the doubt! For last night's fight, Amir even looked worse during the first KD compared to the third and the ref didn't wave it off. He asked the fighter if he was ok, the fighter said yes, but still waved it off. Come on! Boxers are warriors. Unless they clearly show hints of quitting, then the fight should not be stopped by the refs!

How I wish all refs are like Steve Smoger and let the fighters fight and decide the outcome!

Comment

lol.. bayless gave khan every chance to recover, if the stoppage was bad it was too late. some ppl dont understand when a fight is supposed to be stopped, you have to intelligently defend yourself. khan wasnt, he kept getting caught, he kept getting hurt and he kept going down. bayless gave him plenty of chances but at some point he needs to step in and intelligently protect khan since amir wont do it himself.

this aint a rocky movie its a real fight betweent two real ppl, not actors. if they cant protect themselves its the refs job to do it for them, again bayless gave him every chance to recover but he couldnt. at that point you have to stop the fight and avoid a young man taking unnecessary punishment.

Comment

Im one of Khans biggest fans but he should not have been allowed to continue after the first knockdown. He needs to quit trying to go toe to toe when he gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by AIR_KENG View Post
                  Don't get me wrong, I love Kenny Bayless as a referee but referees are given too much authority over ending fights that it becomes ridiculous sometimes. I recognize the fact that they have the best interest of the fighter inside the ring but they have to give the boxers the benefit of the doubt! For last night's fight, Amir even looked worse during the first KD compared to the third and the ref didn't wave it off. He asked the fighter if he was ok, the fighter said yes, but still waved it off. Come on! Boxers are warriors. Unless they clearly show hints of quitting, then the fight should not be stopped by the refs!

How I wish all refs are like Steve Smoger and let the fighters fight and decide the outcome!
                  safety first as a referee, then you know that the fighter will live to fight another day if he chooses to.

every fighter will tell you that they are o.k., when in reality they might not even know where they are and for some reason can't get the vision of his mind of the first slot car set he ever had as a kid. Referee asks is he o.k? the automatic response to the question to a fighter he will always be yes if he is coherent at all
                  .............Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 07-15-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

the thing is the 10 second count dont exist now as we used to know it. You used to have 10 seconds to decide whether you are allowed to go on.
                    But the rules have changed. Maybe the rule book needs updating to modern times.?

Comment

i agree with bayless on this. Though he did look worse in the first knockdown, he was given the benefit of the doubt twice. Strike three and your out. Props to khan for getting up each time and even fighting back, shows he's a warrior willing to die in the ring, but then its the referee's job to prevent that.

Comment

Working...
                      X