No announcement yet.

Any advantages to practicing southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I say leave the left handed PLAY alone until you have mastered your orthodox stance. I mean if you turn south and find that you're the new Pernell Whitaker than you might want to continue working it, otherwise master what you got right now.

One thing about messing with your get up: you'll be in a fight/sparring and you're just coming out of a 'fog' from eating a right and you find yourself doing what you do when you are just playing. It's simply dangerous.........

It all gets in your subconscious when you play around, when you get rung it all might resurface.

Master the orthadoxed, of course unless you are Pernell Whitaker, and then maybe take on the southpaw stance

But if you run in to somebody that can truly throw the Twinkle Toed Crossing Hookercut it will not matter how you stand, so just turn and run..........Rockin'
    This.

You need to know what the movements are SUPPOSE to feel like. Use the stance in which you've (likely) been practicing with extensively. If you haven't mastered the movements on one side, how are you going to be able to feel if you're doing things correctly on the other? It's more complicated in the beginning, taking on two stances is a helluva lot of work. Take to much on at once, you're going to putting to many wrinkles in your game that can be hard to iron out. Start too early, you'll develop bad habits.

The only way I would give it an ok is if your coach spends a lot of time with you. Supervision ensuring you're doing things correctly when you switch. But good luck finding a coach who will be adamant on spending time with a self-diagnosed switch-hitter.

Comment

Someone once told me not to even think of working in southpaw until you've mastered orthodox if that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X